Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > New Member Lounge
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2006, 08:28 PM
Amtekoth

I'm Ed, a horror comic writer

I figure that's a decent way to start.

A decade ago, I was writing horror comics for a small publisher in Chicago in my spare time. I met some cool people and had some fun. Eventually, the company went under and everyone went their own way. Some continued in comics (Brian Azzarello, Rafe Nieves, Kyle Hotz, the Moy brothers), and some headed to parts unknown.

Well, I've been posting some of my old horror stories online here: A Gathering of Crows. Now I'm making the rounds and introducing myself.

I'm running low on the old material, but I've been inspired to write a few new stories. In the months ahead, I'll be asking for suggestions in terms of finding artists that I can work with.

In the meantime, please drop by the site and let me know what you think. I can also be reached at: GatheringofCrows-at-hotmail.com .

Thanks,

Ed
Old 10-23-2006, 09:37 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

welcome Ed. comic writer? very cool. I'm a screenwriter.

Hang around, throw your opinions around. I'm sure you'll have a wealth of info to contribute - and I'm sure the comic forum will eat you up.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 10-23-2006, 10:06 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Are you looking for comic artists to work pro bono or that you will pay? I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics. (Preacher, Sin City, etc..) He'd probably be real interested if it's a paying gig, but he's a young gent just starting out on his career and I kinda doubt he'd have the time to do it if he wasn't getting paid. Let me know and I will put him in touch with you. Also, I'll read through your website and throw ya some feedback when I get a few free minutes...
Old 10-24-2006, 09:02 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

well im a comic fan so theres a start and oh hello

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 10-24-2006, 11:31 AM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
well ed, it kinda looks like spam to me. Like you just came here to get people to go to your site, ya know?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to AmericanManiac Send a message via AIM to AmericanManiac Send a message via Skype™ to AmericanManiac
I just said to myself wow noone flamed this guy yet then I scroll to the last post....... disappointing Murder :D . Well Ed if you want my info stick around, this is probley one of the best Horror Sites out there. Most of the people are really friendly, and great people to talk to and get opinions from.

What kind of artists are you looking for ? Did you more want to go more towards digital art, or old school ? I must say i'm not a very good artists when it comes to hand drawing, put spicing them up digitally that's a differnt story. I do have 7 characters I have done for a cartoon I am working on with some buddies, for reference. Also I have a kick ass buddy who is an amazing artists and he is also really into comic I could also put you in touch with him. But just let me know about everything.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 AM
Amtekoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanManiac View Post
What kind of artists are you looking for ? Did you more want to go more towards digital art, or old school ?
My preference depends on the story. I've got a zombie story that would benefit from an old school, Bernie Wrightson-like artist. There's another that is more Twilight-zone in nature and should have a more realistic look, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X¤MurderDoll¤X View Post
well ed, it kinda looks like spam to me. Like you just came here to get people to go to your site, ya know?
Hi MD. Thanks for the big, warm, fuzzy welcome. Bite me :D You know, in a vampire sort of way.

Ed
Old 10-25-2006, 06:00 AM
Amtekoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
Are you looking for comic artists to work pro bono or that you will pay? I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics. (Preacher, Sin City, etc..) He'd probably be real interested if it's a paying gig, but he's a young gent just starting out on his career and I kinda doubt he'd have the time to do it if he wasn't getting paid. Let me know and I will put him in touch with you. Also, I'll read through your website and throw ya some feedback when I get a few free minutes...
The payment issue has kept me from posting earlier. I needed to have enough money to give the artists something up front. The current crop of stories were paid for a LONG time ago. So those artists get a cut of any merchandise sales based on their art..T-shirts, whatever. Also, some of the stories are being reprinted in Mystery Manor magazine, and the cash is split evenly among the creators. The artists also keep the right to do whatever they want with the art themselves.

I also put out a weekly humor webcomic, Lab Bratz. I pay Max Velati for every episode he draws, up front. In addition we share revenue. So when a company wanted to license Lab Bratz for their newsletter, they paid for that and we shared the money.

Now, I can't afford a big-name artist with a big price tag. But I don't want crap, either.

New, non-professional artists have to pay their dues. Most new artists have an exaggerated sense of their abilities and they need more practice before they are ready for the big time. The more exposure they get early on, the more likely the big boyz will take notice and hire them for big bucks later on.

Most postings for artists by writers or 'publishers' are for back-end deals only. Some of those work out, most do not. Did the artists lose anything? They might feel that they did, but...they put in their time, got the work out there (hopefully), and now have more polished pieces for their portfolios.

That said, I prefer to pay people something up front for their time and effort, even if they aren't established pros. I don't ask anyone to work pro bono, even if the moola is coming out of MY pocket to keep them happy.

Ed
Old 10-25-2006, 06:04 AM
Amtekoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwind22 View Post
I have a buddy that has illustrated a few children's books, but his main interest is in comics.
By the way, is there some place I can go to see his published work?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:54 AM
Fear scented candle

I'm a... short.. story... writer... who has never been published...

great, leave it to Rod and a new guy to make me feel like a failure....

nice site BTW. I have picked Rod's brain to oblivion with screenwriting tips. Be prepared, I have been considering comic writing too, so you may soon know the sting of my questioning.