Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Little Boo

Need recommendations to read at my cabin

I need a recommendation for a good horror book to read that similarly matches my environmental surroundings. I don't really care if its quality or gory "trash", so long as its thrilling and creepy.

I will be traveling to my cabin in Olympic Mountains of northwest Washington state in a couple weeks to relax for vacation. My cabin is large with a lot of forest around it and a big field with a creepy dark pond on the outskirts of the forest.

Please recommend me a book that would be good and similar to this setting (please keep in mind it is not winter so refrain from any settings with snow). I want to read it near the pond or in the forest at night time. I would prefer if the book is available in Kindle or Ebook format, but if its too good to miss im still open to paperback.

I am open to ghost stories, so long as its not the mystery kind which focus too much on uncovering someones dark past (i'm more into the eerie atmosphere, setting and action, and not the supernatural murder-mystery or uncovering-the-truth aspects). Monster or zombie novels in this setting are nice, but unfortunately most take place in post-apocalyptic city/town environments.

Let me know your recommendations! thanks!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Whip In My Valise

Stephen King's Dreamcatcher.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Evil is Better

Off Season and Offspring both by Jack Ketchum
Old 08-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Culte des Mortes

Basically anything by Edward Lee or Rex Miller. Black Train by Edward Lee also has a lot of dark humor too, so that's always a plus.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:08 AM
Dark Fiction Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to bobbyshane Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyshane
I might be a bit late on this, but two books come to mind to suggest. They Hunger by Scott Nicholson and Blood Mountain by J.T. Warren. Both are fairly cheap for Kindle also.