Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > Books & Fiction Writing
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-26-2011, 12:18 PM
Scares Little Kids

Richard Laymon, anyone?

Is anyone around here a fan of the late author Richard Laymon? He's the person who I give credit for getting me addicted to horror years ago. And if you don't know of him, you should definitely check out his twisted, creepy novels. They're killer!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

read most of his stuff while he was alive, not much of what came after.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Little Boo

Thumbs up New Laymon Fan

I recently discovered Laymon's books and I immediately became a fan. The first one I read was Flesh, then To Wake the Dead and most recently Beware (which I reviewed on my blog here). His plots tend to be kind of simple but his characters are interesting, the action engaging and the sex and violence are completely over the top.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Scares Little Kids

I'm in the middle of Flesh right now. Yeah, he does have pretty simple plots, but the intensity makes it hard as hell to put down. I'm always wondering what crazy thing will happen next.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
Little Boo

Huge fan. Reading "Endless Night" right now. Favorites so far have been "Night in the Lonesome October" and "The Woods Are Dark". Read about 15 of his 30+ books. Another thing I like about his books which hasn't been mentioned is his sense of humor.

Got into a little Jack Ketchum because of Laymon. Looking for other writers that someone who likes those two guys would like. Any recommendations? Other than Ed Lee; tried him and wasn't feeling it.

Thanks.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Scares Little Kids

Thumbs up

Loved Jack Ketchum's the Girl next Door which was also made into a movie worth seeing.

I'm not sure if you've tried James Patterson who is also very popular? Roses are Read and Violets are Blue as well as Kiss the Girls are good. You might also like to try Joy Fielding if you like psychological thrillers :)
Old 03-22-2011, 11:12 AM
Scares Little Kids

Laymon is all I've been reading lately! Good stories with lots of gore and a touch of sex.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Little Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran View Post
Loved Jack Ketchum's the Girl next Door which was also made into a movie worth seeing.

I'm not sure if you've tried James Patterson who is also very popular? Roses are Read and Violets are Blue as well as Kiss the Girls are good. You might also like to try Joy Fielding if you like psychological thrillers :)
Thanks, Fran, I'll check them out.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:27 PM
Little Boo

indie author like Laymon, Ketchum

I found an indie author on smashwords that reminds me very much of great horror writers like Laymon and Ketchum. The author's name is Jordan LeBlanc, and the ebook is called Haunted. Very graphic, very disturbing. It was a good read, and best of all, it was only 1.99 for the ebook on smashwords. Worth a look if you're a fan of the Laymon and Ketchum style of horror. Here is the link http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/39872
Old 04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Scares Little Kids

Night In The Lonesome October was a decent read. As was The Lake.

I'm delving into No Sanctuary now.