Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Mephistophiliac

Send a message via AIM to Doc Faustus
Getting Down to Business

I am honored to have been selected by V to be the new HDC President. The position doesn't necessarily entail authority, but was a great gesture from a friend and I want to make it mean something. I haven't been around much, since I've been growing my career and networking, but I want to try and participate and enrich the forum more this year. I've got a few ideas, you can tell me if they suck, you can tell me to go to hell or whatever, but I thought I should honor the spirit of V's request.

1.) Movie Court
There used to be a feature in Empire Magazine that I...appropriated for my movie blog Dollarbin Massacre. An underdog movie is chosen and two people argue its merits, whether civilly or idiotically (as Dollarbin Massacre likes to do every now and again). One member, appointed the judge will then decide, once all the information is presented, whether the movie sucks or not.

2.) Top 100 Books

We've done lists of all genres of movies, but HDC is not entirely about films. I think it might be good to compile a list of influential and relevant works of horror in print, from Gilgamesh to Splatterpunk.

3.) HDC Sampler

HDC Idol a few years ago was fun. But let's let our members put their money where their mouth is and let their talent represent itself. Let's make an ebook. Art, stories, poems, maybe an essay or two, made into an ebook that any HDC member can download and enjoy for their very own. Good exposure, a good chance to work with an editor and possibly a lot of fun.I'll donate my time to this, provided I can get a coeditor or two.

4.) Something in the New Members Section

I think it might be cool to beef this up so we can encourage the new blood to shine. Maybe an interview that they can fill out if they so choose, maybe a Q and A, maybe a thread where older members talk about experiences here and what to expect and such.

5.) Film club

This was a great idea. We should go back to doing it, even if only some people manage to participate. With Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and Crackle, there's no reason we can't give it a go.

6.) Favorite Soup Thread

Tell me what soups you like to eat. Maybe I've done this. I don't know.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:04 PM
No, fuck YOU

Sounds good, dude.

I like your enthusiasm and ideas. Except for nr. 6 of course.

Keep it up.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Ziggy Played Guitar

Send a message via MSN to ferretchucker Send a message via Skype™ to ferretchucker
I especially like the Court and the eBook idea. I think that's the sort of thing the Encyclopaedia was trying to go for a few years ago, but yeah, certainly I'd love to be a part of that.

The Ferrets like it...
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Undead Cavalier

Send a message via AIM to fiend_skull Send a message via MSN to fiend_skull
You've already got me excited, I can't wait for some of these ideas to come into play. Looking forward to participate!
Old 01-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Roll up! Roll up!

Sounds good.

I can't speak for any of the old ideas that you want to bring back but I've lurked here for a little while before signing up. I couldn't/can't understand how some of you have such huge postcounts without there being an era of really good discussion that I have obviously missed...just going by recent activity.

Anything that will make the place somewhere that will make people want to actually log-in rather than simply read is a good thing. There is potential; right now there are four Registered Users and 56 guests...get them in here and posting!

:p
Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Cranky

I like 2, 3 & 6.

I'd be happy to participate/contribute to all three.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 01-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Misanthrope

I like the Movie Court idea along with doing something in the new member section.

Not real fussed on the other ideas to be honest but I'm sure other people will get some joy out of it.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Whip In My Valise

I love ideas 2 and 4. I would like to do decade lists for the 90s, 80s, 70s, and 60s as well, but there might not be enough enthusiasm for that.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

screw these ideas, Mr. President....why don't you concentrate on getting people jobs. The economy is shit and even worse......a beer tax is being imposed...fuck everything else..just leave my beer alone. :mad:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Roll up! Roll up!

To add to my earlier point, I'd like to see point two explored a bit further.

I've never really bothered with horror books beyond the obvious and I'd like to learn about some more obscure stuff. Even just to get some pointers on good books, so I'm not wasting my time. I don't mind sitting through two hours of a shit film, but I feel obliged to read a book cover to cover and that can take some time.