Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Upcoming Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-03-2008, 03:35 AM
For Vendetta

Doctor Strange

October 22, 2008

Marvel Studios' President of Production Kevin Feige has been blabbing to MTV that the next of their characters to get the big-screen treatment will be the magical Doctor Strange.

Rumours of a movie incarnation for the property have been ciculating for years, with Dark Knight scribe David Goyer at one point set to direct a version, and Guillermo Del Toro recently discussing the character's cinematic potential.

Now Feige has admitted that Dr. Strange is next on their list, saying, "It's something I'm very, very interested in.

"I'd say in the next year, year and a half, as we start putting together our film slate for 2012 and 2013, I would not be shocked if we saw Dr. Strange on those lists. I love the idea of tapping into the magical realm of the Marvel Universe, which is fairly significant and hasn't yet seen life on screen."

Feige believes the success of Iron Man has opened the door for so-called "second-tier" comic heroes -- those not ingrained in popular culture -- to feature in big-budget blockbusters.

He said: "I remember two years ago at Comic-Con the cover of the L.A. Times Calendar Section read: "Marvel calls out the B team," says Feige. "And there was a picture of Iron Man. We don't look at them as 'B team.' Dr. Strange? This is one of the best characters we have. [He represents] this amazing cosmic universe to Marvel that we haven't played with in films yet and I think could be amazing to play with."
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Cranky

I've always thought Dr. Strange would be a GREAT movie! Fantastic to hear they're thinking about it. Watch out, dread Dormamu!

Dr. Strange was always one of my favorite characters.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 11-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Mighty HDC Drunken Pirate

I've had this discussion several times, but I'll go ahead and start campaigning now.

Mandy Patinkin for Dr. Strange!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Maggie:}

Send a message via AIM to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via MSN to pinkfloyd45769 Send a message via Yahoo to pinkfloyd45769
I wish the wait for this wasn't so long.I love Dr.Strange:)
Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Wasn't Neil Gaiman working on a Dr. Strange script at one point?

I'd love to see Strange on screen though...cool character for sure.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Evil Dead

Dr.Strange: The Movie

Marvel Studios Hires Writers for Dr. Strange
Source: Deadline New York
June 21, 2010

Marvel Studios has hired screenwriters Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer to write the script for Dr. Strange, reports Deadline New York. The duo wrote the upcoming Conan, video game adaptation Uncharted: Drake's Fortune and a draft of Jon Favreau's Cowboys & Aliens.

In case you're not familiar with the character created by Stan Lee and artist Steve Ditko, you can read a lot of information at Marvel.com.

The film could be the first one for Marvel Studios that gets distributed through Disney.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:26 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Oh, wonderful. I was excited to see this project was moving forward, until I checked what else these guys have done. Has everyone already forgotten that painfully bad adaption of A Sound of Thunder? What about the slightly-less-horrendous Sahara?

Dr. Strange deserves better than these clowns. Hopefully they've upped their game, I guess.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM
For Vendetta

Marvel has started working on plans to make neurosurgeon-turned-super-sorcerer Doctor Strange into their next big movie franchise.

Thomas Donnell and Joshua Oppenheimer (Conan the Barbarian) have handed in a script, and Marvel are so excited by what they've read they've already started shortlisting directors.

After a flurry of successful films released by Marvel in recent months, not least Captain America, many will be questioning this attempt to bring out one of their rather more obscure characters.

For those who’ve never heard of Doctor Strange (he's only the big daddy of the Marvel Universe) here’s a selection of his many, many talents…

“Doctor Strange can use magic to achieve virtually any effect he desires, such as telepathy, energy blasts, teleportation, astral projection, the creation of materials, creating planet-wide protective shields, restoring himself from bodily destruction, or resurrecting the dead.

"Strange is capable of stopping and reversing time on a planetary scale, sealing black holes, restoring universes, absorbing power enough to unconsciously destroy any surrounding galaxies, growing to the size of and merging with universal concepts, and helped to channel the mass of the entire Marvel Universe.”
Old 01-13-2014, 10:06 PM
For Vendetta

Latino Review reports that Johnny Depp has taken a meeting with Marvel about "Doctor Strange."

The 50-year-old actor is a comic book fan, and is said to be very interested in jumping onto the Marvel machine. Johnny Depp also happens to have a very fruitful relationship with Marvel’s owner, Disney. It was the mouse house, after all, that took a gamble when it gave the eccentric actor his first leading role in a summer tentpole, Pirates of The Caribbean, and that franchise went on to earn billions for the studio. He also made them a mint with their live-action Alice in Wonderland film.

While they have Depp on the hook for another Pirates film, it is believed they would shift that production around if he does agree to sign on the dotted line for Marvel.

http://latino-review.com/2014/01/exc...pp-dr-strange/
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Evil Dead

I think Depp could play the role, so long as they keep him away from outlandish make-up, play it straight and keep Tim Burton away.