Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Evil Dead

Ringu - Explain?

Scratch my other thread as I ended up buying this instead of renting it. I watched it for the first time just now mainly because of the hype. I have seen the American remake and as well as the sequel. I had high expectations for this film and I was in shock at how disappointing this was. I'm not one to bring down a movie and be a dick. I just want to understand what the hype is about.

To get the best affect, I watched it in my basement with surround sound and there were 2 cheap scares at the most which were only due to the amplified sound that came of nowhere. I was not once frightened in any way during this entire movie. When it first ended I actually thought I might have had the wrong version being that there are so many.

If someone could explain why this is rated one of the greatest horror movies of all time, at least in the J-Horror category, I would appreciate it because I'm bedazzled. The only slight scares came from the overly used "lets make it quiet and blast the sound out nowhere to get you to jump" routine.

The whole psychic powers gig made this movie even worse, turning it into Sci-Fi, an add-on which was completely unnecessary. Hell, I can't think of anything in this movie was a plus, I'm still in shock at how awful this was......
Old 04-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Cranky

Just chalk it up to different strokes for different folks. Obviously not your cup of tea.

Cartoon Artwork, Underground Art, Other Weird Stuff
Old 04-23-2009, 02:10 AM
so bad they call her boss

Send a message via AIM to X¤MurderDoll¤X
I must be tired because I swear to god I thought this thread was "Ringo - Explain?" and I really didn't have an answer for why he was in The Beatles.

I hated ringu aswell though

Last edited by X¤MurderDoll¤X; 04-23-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:51 AM
Top Of The World Ma!!

is being scared the qualifier for people enjoying horror movies or not ?

i love horror movies - yet i cant be scared of them .. it just doesnt happen.

so i find other things to like about them ..

the atmosphere, the FX, the story, the performances.

i found ringu - as well as many of the other asian horror movies to be well acted and atmospheric.

more than i can say for the hundreds of american 80's slashers that no one ever complains about (but me)
Old 04-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Evil Dead

I liked Ringu. It had good atmosphere and a good story. There was a glimmer of intelligence in the writing and directing. At the time that it was released - it was new and different. Once the Americans noticed it and copied it, we became over familiar with the idea. It is a good movie, but just a movie all the same. There is nothing in it that is beyond the pale of the ususal. We watch movies to be entertained and I think Ringu accomplishes this well.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:32 AM
That fucking Guy...

Preferred the original, the US remake was...just the same thing really...but I found the visuals a bit more disturbing in ringu, and I recall things being explained a little better too.
Haven't seen either in ages though.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Evil Dead

It depends on the order you watch them in, I think.
I wasn't really exposed to Japanese horror until the Ring (American remake) and that movie really impressed me, so I went back and watched all of the main movies in that genre, Ringu first and foremost. Personally, I didn't care for it. I guess I just like a little more "oomph" from my movies, because after watching the closet scene from the American version and the freeze-frame to black and white version in Ringu, I just didn't see how that was better.

And I still don't.
But you know what...if you saw that one first, the original idea, then it would still be good. And remakes SHOULD improve on the originals, otherwise what is the point? (Although, I thought Ringu did a better job at the TV scene at the end).

The other part that annoyed me was the scene where they are bailing water out of the well with buckets or whatever they were doing. It just dragged ON and ON....didn't like it.

So yeah, I definitely get what you mean. I fell out of the whole Japanese horror fascination pretty quick. The American Ring, though, I still love :p

-D