Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > TV Shows
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-03-2008, 12:33 PM
She's under the stairs

America to rape Spaced

SIMON’s OFFICIAL STATEMENT on U.S. SPACED
Current mood: annoyed
Category: Blogging

UPDATE: At the time of writing I was not aware that Jessica and myself, will in fact receive some payment for the use of our ideas. The issue however remains one of principal and respect rather than one of compensation.

Thoughts on the subject of an American Spaced. Feel free to skip to the end.

Now that the pilot has been officially announced, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify my position on the subject. The whole affair seems to have inspired some spirited debate and some heartening displays of loyalty and love. All this for a show which is almost 10 years old, is all rather wonderful and a vindication of all the blood, sweat and tears (both of joy and pain) we shed in the show's creation. It was always our aim to create a comedy which spoke to its audience on such a personal level, it almost felt one on one. It would seem the fan reaction to the news that Fox has appropriated the format, confirms at least, that we succeeded.

As far as remaking TV shows for different territories is concerned, I don't have a problem. The Office remake being a perfect example. Yes, the original British version is a wonderful and compact piece of comedy writing and performance, but I think it's bit much to expect a large scale American television audience to fully relate to the minutiae of day-to-day business life in an obscure British suburb. I'm sure if you're reading this, you are the type of person who takes pleasure in the variety of entertainment you enjoy, relishing the differences between our various cultural touchstones but there is a massive audience out there, which perhaps isn't as culturally savvy (euphemistic phrase for 'geeky') as we are and need their signifiers to be a little more familiar. So, Slough is replaced by Scranton, and the office archetypes become a little more archetypal to an American audience. The spirit of the show remains intact. The performances are uniformly great and the show scores big ratings and wins EMMYs, whether we as comedy purists prefer the original or not. The success of the remake is born out by it's undoubted success and appeal.

My main problem with the notion of a Spaced remake is the sheer lack of respect that Granada/ Wonderland/Warner Bros have displayed in respectively selling out and appropriating our ideas without even letting us know. A decision I can only presume was made as a way of avoiding having to give us any money, whilst at the same time using mine and Edgar's name in their press release, in order to trade on the success of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, even professing, as Peter Johnson did, to being a big fan of the show and it's creators. A device made all the more heinous by the fact that the press release neglected to mention the show's co-creator and female voice, Jessica Hynes (nee Stevenson). The fact is, when we signed our contracts ten years ago, we had neither the experience or the kudos to demand any clauses securing any control over future reversioning. We signed away our rights to any input in the show's international future, because we just wanted to get the show made and these dark days of legal piracy seemed a far away concern. As a result, we have no rights. The show does not belong to us and, those that do own it have no obligation to include us in any future plans. You would perhaps hope though, out of basic professional respect and courtesy, we might have been consulted. It is this flagrant snub and effective vote of no confidence in the very people that created the show, that has caused such affront at our end. If they don't care about the integrity of the original, why call it Spaced? Why attempt to find some validation by including mine and Edgar's names in the press release as if we were involved? Why not just lift the premise? Two strangers, pretend to be a couple in order to secure residence of a flat/apartment. It's hardly Ibsen. Jess and I specifically jumped off from a very mainstream sitcom premise in order to unravel it so completely. Take it, have it, call it Perfect Strangers and hope Balkie doesn't sue. Just don't call it Spaced.

It's a shame, since the pilot is now a certainty, whether we like it or not, a simple phone call and a few reassurances might have helped to at least curtail the tide of indignation from fans and creators alike. I have, as of yet, heard nothing.

Simon Pegg

What a joke this is to me...

I watched 10 mins of the American pilot for Red Dwafr the other day, fucking painfull. I hope this gets stopped.

I found this allso, it's a petition against the American version.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/petition...st-say-no.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx
Because you want his maggot ridden dick dontcha
Old 03-04-2008, 08:56 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

did a little bit of you die too?

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 03-04-2008, 09:54 AM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_linda View Post
did a little bit of you die too?
My heart felt weak the first time it was mentioned which was a while ago, but I tried to take it lightly as Simon Pegg had only heard wispers of it and didn't even know what was going on.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM
mostly ghostly?

ugh! nooooooo!

you must be kidding me.

what has happened to originality?
why have we resorted to sucking the soul out of everything great?

this is so lame.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortunato View Post
ugh! nooooooo!

you must be kidding me.

what has happened to originality?
why have we resorted to sucking the soul out of everything great?

this is so lame.
Originality isn't coveted... why should it be? The television business is about getting ratings as easily as possible.

The UK doesn't remake a lot of US shows (I think 20 or 30 maybe) but instead airs our shows over there. I don't understand why the US can't just air Spaced over here without having to remake the whole bloody thing.

Anyway, it seems like every country has shows based on programs from another, it's less a problem with America as it is television in general in my opinion.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

um let's not blame the entire USA for this one, okay?

The English producers of the show are just as guilty here.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 03-04-2008, 03:04 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Despare View Post
Anyway, it seems like every country has shows based on programs from another, it's less a problem with America as it is television in general in my opinion.
right. i meant "we" as in everyone. more of what despare said above. ^
it should just come to a stop, period. or at least not as frequently.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:32 PM
She's under the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post

Is it the English producers or the American producers though...

To me that is not really the point anyway, it is more the fact that that the people who created it found out second hand about it.

But seariouslyhave you seen what America have done to british comedys in the past...?

Did they do Faulty Towers, I heard they did, I could never watch that.

Imagine an American Black Adder, now that sounds funny...

Quote:
Old 03-04-2008, 06:27 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disease View Post
Did they do Faulty Towers, I heard they did, I could never watch that.
goodness, i don't think so. i used to watch it when i was a kid, but i only ever saw the british version. i've never heard anything of an american fawlty towers.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

their all guilty!

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"