Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Groovy

Getting started with making a film

Hello all

First day posting on this forum. I've had a bit of a general browse around on the general forum, but I think this is one of the places I want to be.

I was just wondering how the film-makers among you found your first experience? I've written a first script which I want to film this year (just for my own personal pleasure - I know very well how much there is to learn, and I'm not expecting anything of this first go) so I wanted to know what was the biggest thing you learned from you first attempt.

I've had virtually no formal training, apart from a short course I've just finished on camera techniques. Nothing on script-writing, and it remains to be seen whether my script will stand up to scrutiny - I haven't even had a read-through with anyone yet.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:49 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
I'll just combine all the things I've learned from the film projects I've done:

-For this first one, it's more important that they'll show up and work than it is that they're good.
-Get as much use out of the resources you've already got as you can.
-This one is more for subsequent projects, but don't force growth on yourself. Yes, it's good to work with new people and expand and all that, but if you've used some of the same people over and over, there's probably a good reason for it.
-Keep things light, don't get super-serious about the filmmaking. Again, at least for the first one. If the people you're working with are having fun, they'll be more willing to work with you later, and will be more willing to get serious when needed (the right ones will, at least)
-If people don't like it, fuck 'em.
-Work with your girlfriend as little as possible. If you work with her at all, don't have her be an actor, have her do something that anybody can do, so you can get someone else to do it if some shit goes down.
-Don't stay married to the script word-for-word. Even the easiest lines in the world can be a pain to remember, so if the way the actor says it doesn't leave any vital plot points out and works just as good, let it be. Some stuff reads better than it sounds, anyways.

That's not everything, but not everything is relevant.

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

the most important thing I've learned is that the first draft of a script is NEVER the best draft. Writing is rewriting, and the clearer things are on the page, the easier it is to shoot.

FEED YOUR CREW! I'm sure no one is getting payed, but if you want everyone to act like pros you need to treat them like pros and feed them. Order pizza or chinese or load up at the Taco Bell or whatever, but feed them - everyone works better on a full stomach.

As director, answer every question. Even if the question is stupid or you don't know the answer...make one up. Being decisive is your job, make everyone think they're working with the next Speilberg and you'll get their best effort.

Pay as much attention to lighting as the acting. A well-lit shot is better than a well acted shot everyday.

Hope this helps.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 02-07-2007, 06:00 PM
The Emperor of America

Send a message via AIM to The STE
Always, always, ALWAYS do more than one take. Always.

To expand upon feeding the crew, take care of the people working for you. If you can't pay them, then at least try to compensate them in some way. Make sure they get a copy of the movie. And remember that they're working for free. Unless they asked if they could be in the movie, they're doing you a favor.

Sound. I'd give you some specific advice about sound, but it's all important, so I'll just say "sound"

Quote:
load up at the Taco Bell
Funny you should say that, when we were shooting Odyssey, that's where we ate.

===

WATCH MY MOVIES(UPDATED: 5/7/08, "No Exit")
RING OF HONOR: BEST WRESTLING IN THE WORLD

TOO GOOD FOR THE HDC BATTLE ROYALE
Old 02-08-2007, 12:26 AM
No charge for awesomeness

-Don't use several different styles of mics. If you use a boom mic, use it for every scene with dialogue. If you are just working with the mic on your camera, expect to spend a lot of time in post production equalizing the audio. I highly recommend that you do not mix mics. (Don't shoot half the movie with boom mic & half with camera mic.) Your audio will end up very rough & inconsistent.

-Shoot multiple takes of every scene, whether you think you nailed it on the first one or not. Also, make sure the multiple takes are from different angles. If there is dialogue in the scene, then it is a MUST that you film at least a close-up of each individual saying their lines as well as a wider shot of the conversation taking place with everyone in the frame.

-As a director, it'd be advisable to have your crew arrive a bit before the actors so you can get the first shot framed up & ready to shoot. The first film I worked on, we'd show up every day and then stand around for 30-60 minutes while the director got everything situated. This could have EASILY been taken care of beforehand and I can attest from personal experience, that something like this will eventually begin to annoy the actors. If you have everything set up before the actors arrive, you can jump right in to filming when they actually do show up.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:59 AM
Groovy

Thanks guys, this is all great advice. So far it's been a real eye-opener, and a steep learning curve, and I'm still some way from starting to film. From the little I've experienced so far, it's ambitious to say the least. There are just so many things to think about.

I saw the advice about shooting all the dialogue both close-up and a wider shot, on an earlier thread. That makes a lot of sense, and it's not something I would have necessarily thought of. I do plan on using a lot of closeup shots for many of the scenes, as this means I can get away with not being on location for a lot of it.

Also I wouldn't have thought about the difference in sound when you use different mics. That's good to know - though I would have been wary of using the on-board mic anyway, because of the camera's motor sound.

All in all, what started out as an offhand idea - 'Wouldn't it be fun to make a film?' - has snowballed to say the least. And that's keeping it as simple as possible. I've already spent weeks writing and rewriting the script, storyboarding etc. And I think the biggest obstacle of all will be organising the actors (all friends, working for nothing) as I'm under no illusion about the amount of effort they will have to put in.

The wrap party seems like a very long way away, but it's going to be fun trying to get there!