Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

water... the silent killer

Woman Dies After Water-Drinking Radio Contest
January 15, 2007

A 28-year-old mother of three died from water intoxication after taking part in a water-drinking contest for KDND (The End)/Sacramento on Friday. The contest, Hold Your Wee for a Wii, involved drinking as much water as you could without going to the bathroom in order to win the much-coveted Nintendo Wii video game console. Contestant Jennifer Lea Strange died after drinking well over a half gallon of water during the Morning Rave program, said the Sacramento Bee.

As part of the contest, participants were each given eight-ounce bottles of water. They had two minutes to drink a bottle, waited 10 minutes, then drank another bottle. Some of them kept drinking for up to three hours. Another contestant, Gina Sherrod, said that a nurse was on the air warning that drinking too much water is dangerous. Sherrod told The Bee that a deejay rebuffed the nurse and that the contestants signed waivers that addressed only publicity issues and made no mention of health or safety concerns.

The CBS television affiliate in Sacramento reported that Strange called a co-worker shortly after bowing out of the contest. She was in tears and said that she felt ill and could not make it to work. Family members later found her unresponsive at home.

John Geary, GM of Entercom Sacramento, which owns KDND, sent an e-mail to The Bee saying, "We were stunned when we heard this news. We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred. Our sympathies are with the family and friends of Jennifer Strange, as they deal with circumstances that are so difficult to comprehend.":eek:

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

OMG! i read this in the paper today....i didnt know what to make of it....how can they sue it was there choice...no way right but there choice

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
The radio station should be shut down ;)

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 AM
(sw) Fake Shemp (sw)

i dont know how they could do stuff like that....is it just how far we can push it and be cool and daring...or so they think..........its always funny and cool till someone dies

"It's a DISASTER...a DISASTER! Spelt with two 'O's... like 'DOOM'!!"
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Same thing with "extreme" competition and "dare" TV shows...they'll be really popular until one horrible incident occurs. In a way, this is that incident, but it was for a radio show. I suppose pie-eating contests are out now, too.

Friend....gooooood!

Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 AM
Banned

hmmm....a "Strange" case indeed.

very tragic
Old 01-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
hmmm....a "Strange" case indeed.
Badum tst! goes the drum kit.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:37 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

Sounds like she had a faulty system to begin with. A half gallon of water killed her? Come on. A half gallon is 4 pints.

I'll drink four pints of beer at least once a week and have been known to double that from time to time and I rarely get hungover, let alone ill or close to death.

I understand that you can thin your electrolyte balance by overhydrating, but what was wrong with this woman before the competition started?

Is water that much worse for you than beer?

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Filmmaker

Send a message via AIM to BlackSunProductions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
Is water that much worse for you than beer?
Yes it is. :p

Old 01-15-2007, 11:48 AM
AsteroidsDoNotConcernMe

Well, we've finally figured out what the main problem with beer is: It contains water! Too damn much water.

Friend....gooooood!