Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Look behind you

Just saw "The Descent"

It was great! I am a little confused though because of the ending, and why did they keep showing the girl with the birthday cake? I am guessing the ending she did not get out alive, but still, what was the deal with her husband and the other girl? Were they having an affair or what? Also, I saw the part where the girl was dying, and gave her the chain or neckelace. I know it had to do with her husband, but what?

I guess I will have to re-watch it and pay close attention. Also I had no idea her husband and little girl died in the accident, I just thought it was her husband. Can someone please help to explain the movie to me if you know?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to XtRaVa Send a message via MSN to XtRaVa
lol.

Yes her husband was having an affair with the bitch that gets everyone killed by going into an un-mapped dangerous cave.

I hear the US version cuts the ending short so it seems like she gets out (america has to always have a happy ending? :p) but in the original version that I saw in the cinema it goes back to her in the cave and shes just imagined/dreamt it, and she remains stuck lost in the cave with weird mutant fuckers that will shortly find her.

Also, search can be a good tool ;)

http://www.horror.com/forum/showthre...hlight=descent

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.

Last edited by XtRaVa; 01-06-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:12 PM
Tenant

The American ending does end with What's Her Name getting out alive, yes. But it's not a very happy ending. **SPOILER** She gets in the car, and sees a ghostly image of The Bitch. Sorry I can't remember any of their names. This shows that for the rest of her life she'll be haunted with the fact that she let a woman die. She had the power to save a human being, but she fed her to the things.

I think it's a nice way to show that revenge isn't always without its consequences, and that getting out alive might be more painful than dying in the caves...

Both endings are good, but the US version isn't just a crowd-pleasing happy ending.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
TRY ME, I DARE YOU

Send a message via AIM to halloweenfreak1
pretty good movie, i liked it. I just wish that there where more movies as good as this on released last year.
HALLOWEEN 2
SCREAM
HANNIBAL:SILENCE OF THE LAMBS
FRIDAY THE 13th
TEXAS CAINSAW MASSACRE
THE SHINING
HALLOWEEN H20(i just like it)
SAW
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Evil Dead

She gave bitch a chance though. A slim one, but still a chance. Most people would have just killed her for getting everyone killed, and having an affair with their partner, but instead she just impales her leg making it difficult to run...but shes also giving her a WEAPON.

Also, I cant remember very well seeing as I saw this movie 2 years ago, but when shes imagining escaping, and sees bitch in the backseat, does she look like a ghost or does she look like shes maybe alive and has also escaped but sitting in the backseat waiting for the other girl...

Either way its a happier ending than the original, which ending unhappily is more like real life.

1,2 Michael's coming for you...3,4 Better lock your door...5,6 Grab a crucifix...7,8 Better stay up late...9,10 Never sleep again.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Tenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtRaVa View Post
She gave bitch a chance though. A slim one, but still a chance. Most people would have just killed her for getting everyone killed, and having an affair with their partner, but instead she just impales her leg making it difficult to run...but shes also giving her a WEAPON.

Also, I cant remember very well seeing as I saw this movie 2 years ago, but when shes imagining escaping, and sees bitch in the backseat, does she look like a ghost or does she look like shes maybe alive and has also escaped but sitting in the backseat waiting for the other girl...

Either way its a happier ending than the original, which ending unhappily is more like real life.
Yes, that. But she's only a figment of her imagination.

And that's the beauty of it; She does give The Bitch a chance (though a very slim one), and The Bitch has done so many horrible things to her. Yet she will still be haunted for the rest of her life.

In the final scene, The Bitch is a symbolic figure of guilt. Or at least that's the way I took it.

My point is, however, that I don't think either ending is "happier" than the other. Yes, it would suck to die in that cave, but at least the nightmare is over. Can you imagine living out the rest of your life with the guilt (in a way) of second degree murder and the horrible memories of being chased htrough a cave by monsters while your friends slowly die one by one?

Last edited by alkytrio666; 01-06-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:15 PM
Look behind you

Yes, I have the version where she just imagined she got out, but then woke up back in the cave and the fire went out. I love this movie! This was one of the best if not original horror movies I have seen in quite a while.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:19 PM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I find the ending to be not unlike the ending of Brazil in that the mother has gone insane. She has escaped, but only into insanity...it's the only way she can cope.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 01-06-2007, 01:24 PM
HDC Resident Serial Killa

Send a message via Yahoo to Freak
I really enjoyed this movie until the ending.The ending to me was just so expected that it left me feeling empty inside.It had a few good jump scenes in it though.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkytrio666 View Post
My point is, however, that I don't think either ending is "happier" than the other. Yes, it would suck to die in that cave, but at least the nightmare is over. Can you imagine living out the rest of your life with the guilt (in a way) of second degree murder and the horrible memories of being chased htrough a cave by monsters while your friends slowly die one by one?
I'll have to see it again sometime to see what bitch looks like in the backseat, as in the version I watched where she appears in the back, it then quite quickly goes back to the cave and you're like oh right shes just imagining it. (Or so I remember anyway) Wheras the other version, they are putting her there probably as a ghost figure/guilt memory as you mentioned probably more so than showing shes real and actually escaped too.

In answer to your question, I'd be fine with it more or less. I'd mourn all my other friends who didnt deserve to die, and I'd often think back to the cave and wonder if she ever made it out and possibly feel bad that she probably died too but I'd care about her a lot less than all the people that were "innocent".

I'd also probably get a group of soldiers much like the ones in Aliens, and go down there with night vision goggles, flame throwers, gattling guys etc and kill every stone sucking mutant freak I could find ;)