Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Horror Filmmakers
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Evil Dead

Alexandre Aja

Although he has not directed or written more than 5 movies I think this guy is pure genius. Hills Have Eyes Remake and High Tension were outstanding and actually gave me hope in horror movies today.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady View Post
Although he has not directed or written more than 5 movies I think this guy is pure genius. Hills Have Eyes Remake and High Tension were outstanding and actually gave me hope in horror movies today.
Both movies were beautiful, I really hope he stays close to the genre.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Havent bothered with High Tension yet, but I was a little disapointed with the Hills Have Eyes remake.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 AM
Your funeral... my trial

I enjoyed both films very much. I think that Aja has what it takes to be one of the most lauded horror directors of modern times. His films aren't perfect, but with time, hopefully Aja will master the craft.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 AM
HDC Sole Survivor!!

I try to stay positive in these threads. I don't see any reason to rip anyone apart or belittle anyone's work, but I just can't leave this one alone.

I really don't like Aja. Yeah, his stuff is really pretty but...

It's all glamour. There's no soul...hell, there's no heart in it either.

I despised High Tension - nothing in the movie holds up to the reveal, everything is made moot by the so-called "twist." A twist has to be logical to work and there isn't a hint of logic to it (the non-existant bad guy getting "head" in the beginning? a car chase with yourself? a fist fight with yourself?)
I undearstand and appreciate the concept, but he failed miserably in the execution.

And the Hills Have Eyes remake was weak stuff. Sure there were a couple of good bits, but the ridiculous super-human strength of the mutants in the opening sequence took me right out of the film. In order for a "gritty" horror to be effective, everthing has to stay grounded in reality - this one just bored me.

Maybe he has a good film in him, he has a good eye, but I'll be avoiding anything he writes.

"A man that studieth revenge keeps his own wounds green, which otherwise would heal and do well."
Francis Bacon
Old 11-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Fear scented candle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderick Usher View Post
I try to stay positive in these threads. I don't see any reason to rip anyone apart or belittle anyone's work, but I just can't leave this one alone.

I really don't like Aja. Yeah, his stuff is really pretty but...

It's all glamour. There's no soul...hell, there's no heart in it either.

I despised High Tension - nothing in the movie holds up to the reveal, everything is made moot by the so-called "twist." A twist has to be logical to work and there isn't a hint of logic to it (the non-existant bad guy getting "head" in the beginning? a car chase with yourself? a fist fight with yourself?)
I undearstand and appreciate the concept, but he failed miserably in the execution.

And the Hills Have Eyes remake was weak stuff. Sure there were a couple of good bits, but the ridiculous super-human strength of the mutants in the opening sequence took me right out of the film. In order for a "gritty" horror to be effective, everthing has to stay grounded in reality - this one just bored me.

Maybe he has a good film in him, he has a good eye, but I'll be avoiding anything he writes.
I enjoyed The Hills Have Eyes remake, but then again, i was expecting something just awful, and was pleasantly surprised by what I got.

High tension however.... i was really on the fence on that one and it doesnt seem like anythign i was going to be too terribly interested in.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM
Evil Dead

Send a message via MSN to melaniepants
The Hills have eyes remake was great. I enjoyed it very much
Old 11-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to The Mothman
I absolutley love Aja. hes one of my favorite film makers, even though hes only made 2 movies. Hes films are beatiful, atmospheric and creepy. i hope he sticks with it.

Click for B-Movie reviews!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:58 PM
Pirate of Bengal

He is a promising film maker.

anyone know what's his next project?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 PM
No charge for awesomeness

Aja is great at giving us heaps of gore, but I'm with Roderick on High Tension. The twist totally made that movie incoherent. (Kinda like the twist in the first Saw film. It just punched too many holes in the plot.) Hills Have Eyes was an alright remake of a film that did not need to be redone (Alot like Dawn of the Dead & TCM remakes). I don't know... Aja's got some potential. He's great with the gore, but his storytelling/writing ability leaves something to be desired in my opinion. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out with him... I'll have to see a few more films from him before I can really decide if I'm a fan or not. Right now, I've got him ranked somewhere in between Uwe Boll and George Romero.