Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror, But Not Movies > True Crime
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-08-2006, 05:44 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
911 Operator Determines 6 Year-Old's Call To Be A Prank...Mom Dies

Mom Dies After Boy's 911 Call Considered Prank

Detroit Police Investigate

Detroit, Michigan -- A 6-year-old boy's 911 call for help was thought to be a prank, but the call was real and the boy's mother died.

Robert Turner called 911 to get help for his mother, Sherel Turner, 46, whom he found lying unconscious on the kitchen floor of their Detroit apartment in February.

"Then I had felt her tummy. She wasn't breathing. Then I had called 911," said Robert. "I told them to send an emergency truck right now."

911 Operator: "911. What's the problem?"

Robert: "My mom has passed out."

The 911 operator, however, did not take him seriously and told him to stop playing on the phone, the station reported.

911 Operator: "Where's the grownups at?"

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "Let me speak to her before I send the police over there."

"I tried to tell them she wouldn't talk," said Robert.

Robert: (Inaudible)

911 Operator: "I don't care. You shouldn't be playing on the phone. Now put her on the phone before I send the police out there to knock on the door and you gonna be in trouble."

Robert: "Ugh!" (Hangs up.)

Kimberly Harris, the union president of AFSCME Local 1023, said more than a quarter of phone calls received by 911 operators are prank calls. She also said that everybody does not express their pain or emergencies the same way.

"That operator could have had five prank calls. Kids calling in prior to that call. And please, don't think that I am trying to make an excuse. That was a tragedy," said Harris.

Officials said the 911 operator will be disciplined, but because of her years of service she will not be fired.

"I know that operator. I know that she is a very good operator," said Harris. "She is very thorough."

Robert said every time someone talks about his mother, he starts crying.

Police continue to investigate.

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 04-08-2006, 05:46 AM
Umbra Asylum

Send a message via Yahoo to bloodrayne
I don't understand how this could have happened..It would be impossible for it to happen here, because police are immediately dispatched to EVERY 911 call, even if someone just hangs up without saying anything.....Maybe it's just because we're in a small town...But still...That's bullshit...

My Karma ran over my Dogma

God WAS my co-pilot...But, we crashed in the mountains and...I had to eat him

I'm suffocating in what's become of me...
The rancid remains of what I used to be
Old 04-08-2006, 07:49 AM
That fucking Guy...

Quote:
"I know that operator. I know that she is a very good operator," said Harris. "She is very thorough."
Oh yeah, I can see that....thoroughly fucking stupid.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:40 AM
Evil Puppy

The interviews with this kid on the local news stations are sick, they need to back off now. I feel so bad for this kid.

Besides we pay the police to check out every potential problem so fake call or not it should be check out. That operator needs to be fired.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Evil Dead

Someone died because of that operator. I'd have fired the hell out of them. And would have tried to get them behind bars for something. That just show's how much anyone cares.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:01 PM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
I don't understand how this could have happened..It would be impossible for it to happen here, because police are immediately dispatched to EVERY 911 call, even if someone just hangs up without saying anything.....Maybe it's just because we're in a small town...But still...That's bullshit...

Thats how it works here, too. Until I read this, I thought that was how it worked everywhere, doesnt make much sence not to.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:43 PM
I Am Violence

Quote:
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Same here that police force must be retarded or something
Old 04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
The Jesus of Suburbia

Send a message via Yahoo to DarkwingMantis
Thats totally Un-Fucking-Forgivable.

Old 04-15-2006, 07:16 PM
zipperface

Send a message via AIM to HappyCamper Send a message via Yahoo to HappyCamper
this never should of fucking happened! i don't care if the stupid 911 operator thought it was a prank. She should have dispatched an ambulance anyway. The 'better safe than sorry' adage should always apply here.
Just listen to this sentence and tell me what it means. I haven't seen Evil Dead II yet? Would you get the impression that i wanted to see it? Oh, well you couldn't have been dying to see it or else you would have already gone. So in your opinion would I definitely see it?
How the fuck should I know probably!
Why? Because it's a brilliant film, it's so funny, and the soundtrack kicks fucking ass!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Evil Dead

Send a message via AIM to chainleen Send a message via Yahoo to chainleen
Detroit has got a ton of problems. This incident was disgusting and it's not the first time it's happened. Another woman got shot in the head and had to call her son in MN because the 911 operator told her to quit calling..then told her cops were on the way when they weren't. Her son had to call the sheriff. She is paralyzed.

I am usually not sue-happy but I think they should sue for all it's worth, that little boy should never have to worry about a single bill ever.

However since Detroit is broke anyways because the mayor is paying all his family members I don't think much will happen, He lays off more and more cops all the time.

I think every 911 call should be investigated, if it turns out to be a prank ticket the parents.