Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-09-2016, 08:13 AM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
The original english didn't seem to help Carp's Vampire. It would be tough to find a good voice actor to dub Hitler, but you'd be surprised how good some dubs can be when they are done by top talent.

Id still go for the dub, or just read the book.
No, no and no.

And why? You don't mind reading a whole book but you don't like subtitles?
Old 04-09-2016, 12:13 PM
病気の

Hush, 2016. 7/10

The kills in this were awesome, from what I can see and hear. This was filmed almost entirely in the dark.

The Invitation, 2015. 8/10

Thumb resize.

Had my attention til the very end...and this guy.. Hot. As. Fuck.

Thumb resize.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadbeatAtDawn View Post
Hush, 2016. 7/10

The kills in this were awesome, from what I can see and hear. This was filmed almost entirely in the dark.

The Invitation, 2015. 8/10

Thumb resize.

Had my attention til the very end...and this guy.. Hot. As. Fuck.

Thumb resize.
Two movies I'm dying to see! I'm glad to hear good things about them.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:38 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
No, no and no.

I like this, and I agree. HOWEVER. There are benefits to dubs over subs, and the one that stands out to me the most is when you're reading subs, you're focusing too much on words and less on what's actually happening on the screen. I enjoy dubs for being able to watch everything and not missing a second of the action or details of the special effects.

I do like subs though, and prefer them over dubs simply because I'm a stickler for getting the actual dialogue rather than a reworded version.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:01 PM
病気の

The Trust, 2016. 6/10.

Thumb resize.

Only watched this for the combination of Nic Cage, Elijah Wood and Jerry Lewis. The story was meh.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
I like this, and I agree. HOWEVER. There are benefits to dubs over subs, and the one that stands out to me the most is when you're reading subs, you're focusing too much on words and less on what's actually happening on the screen. I enjoy dubs for being able to watch everything and not missing a second of the action or details of the special effects.

I do like subs though, and prefer them over dubs simply because I'm a stickler for getting the actual dialogue rather than a reworded version.
You MIGHT miss a little and if that's the case there's the rewind function.
And during action and/or scenes with a lot of special effects, there's usually less or no dialogue anyway.

To me it's about the art. People get casted for several reasons, I'd like to think their voice is one of those. It's part of who they are and therefore part of the character they play.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:17 PM
ventricle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angra View Post
It's a culture thing.

I would never watch anything dubbed unless it's animated or there's no other version available.

I'm not saying you're a simple-minded moron, I'm just saying I'm better than you.
I know you are, but what am I?

Quote:
No, no and no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post

Exactly, my sweet Roiffalo!

I've watched a lot of subtitled films, but I'm pretty much done with them. Has to be a very special film for me to bother.

Last subtitled films that were a good experience for me was Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Kung Fu Hustle and Journey to the West. Might notice a trend there... Asian films with slow and simple enough dialogue.

Really, I'm not a speed reader, and I'd just assume kiss a Wookie to trying to catch every typed word while watching a film. Some subtitled films are fine for me (amount & speed of text), others are ridiculous. I'll never know going-in which it will be.

Also, (like some of what Roif was saying) I appreciate the artistry of FILMS and BOOKS, and loathe the unintended jumbled mutant breed of the two. The directors didn't intend to have their audiences' eyes dragged along the bottom of the screen reading text. I want to catch everything going on in the film, as intended. I don't think I can always absorb all the facial acting and important background information while reading the bottom of the screen. I don't enjoy trying. If I don't enjoy it, why would I do it, unless it was important beyond simple entertainment?

Besides, growing up on Japanese cinema and TV, and being a sound guy, I have a high appreciation for good dubbing. And I've enjoyed a lot of very entertaining dubbing. It can be done very well, and I'd like the film industry to build that industry with more professional english dubs. With increasingly good non-english films being produced, there's a big market for it.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-09-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 05:45 PM

THE HOUSES OCTOBER BUILT 2014?

Checked this out after seeing it discussed in random thoughts. A group of friends travel in an RV in search of a truly terrifying haunted house attraction. I wasn't really scared by anything but more disturbed by the implications.
Old 04-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculpt View Post
Really, I'm not a speed reader, and I'd just assume kiss a Wookie to trying to catch every typed word while watching a film. Some subtitled films are fine for me (amount & speed of text), others are ridiculous. I'll never know going-in which it will be.

Also, (like some of what Roif was saying) I appreciate the artistry of FILMS and BOOKS, and loathe the unintended jumbled mutant breed of the two. The directors didn't intend to have their audiences' eyes dragged along the bottom of the screen reading text. I want to catch everything going on in the film, as intended. I don't think I can always absorb all the facial acting and important background information while reading the bottom of the screen. I don't enjoy trying. If I don't enjoy it, why would I do it, unless it was important beyond simple entertainment?

Besides, growing up on Japanese cinema and TV, and being a sound guy, I have a high appreciation for good dubbing. And I've enjoyed a lot of very entertaining dubbing. It can be done very well, and I'd like the film industry to build that industry with more professional english dubs. With increasingly good non-english films being produced, there's a big market for it.
I can understand you don't like subtitles but that argument is bullshit.
If you'd care about watching a film in the way it's intented you'd watch it with original audio. You'd hear the right dialogue in the right voice with the emphases at the right moment coming out of the right mouth.
English is my second language. I started learning early. After comprehending two languages you notice a lot goes lost in translation. Besides that words, sayings, expressions, banter, insults,... lose power and effect when translated.
Example: the insult "Cunt!" often gets translated to a word meaning asshole or bitch. Both offensive but a little different don't you think?

Dubbing is lazy. It decreases people's knowledge of other languages and therefore increases stupidity.
Subtitles are useful when it comes to learning more (even when loosely translated).

There's also a big market for bad drugs, shitty bands and useless gizmos.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:10 PM
ventricle

Quote:
I can understand you don't like subtitles but that argument is bullshit.
If you'd care about watching a film in the way it's intented you'd watch it with original audio.
Yes, subtitled, dubbed, or an audience that doesn't understand the language, it's not the way the director intended it. I considered that a given. I concede that was a poor choice of phrasing on my part; however, I explained what I meant by it, which was not the least bit bullshit.

Quote:
You'd hear the right dialogue in the right voice with the emphases at the right moment coming out of the right mouth.
English is my second language. I started learning early. After comprehending two languages you notice a lot goes lost in translation. Besides that words, sayings, expressions, banter, insults,... lose power and effect when translated.
Example: the insult "Cunt!" often gets translated to a word meaning asshole or bitch. Both offensive but a little different don't you think?

Dubbing is lazy. It decreases people's knowledge of other languages and therefore increases stupidity.
Subtitles are useful when it comes to learning more (even when loosely translated).

There's also a big market for bad drugs, shitty bands and useless gizmos.
You seem to forget subtitles are also a translation of the original dialogue. Dub or subtitle, it's the same translation, good or bad... the subtitle writer can get it right or wrong, same as dub writer. Or were you just on a tangent? You can't lump that one in on dubs over subtitles.

I love the voice as well, and the voice cast is important to me. I agree with you. But one tends to lose things in both cases: sub or dub. The question comes down to which film characteristics are more important to you personally.

To you, the voice of the actor cast is more important than missing other film aspects. That's great. I'm not disputing, nor insulting, that value. (Or, you read so fast and well, you never miss anything. That's great too. I'm happy you're that adept at it. Not everyone else is.)

For me, the most important aspects are the visuals, as it's a film; not a book, nor primarily an audio art form. It sucks that the voice is not the same as the actor, but that's one defect I prefer to the other option: missing a random mix of dialogue, facial expressions and background information. That sucks worse for me.

You can say watching dubbed films is lazy... but you should know that's a very cliche, inaccurate, uninformed, and thus, lazy statement. I read a wide array of subject matter all the time. Laziness it not my motivation. I've already clearly stated my reason. If you want to say I'm lying, you're wrong. Do you really believe I haven't studied an array of scholastics and have no interest in other cultures? Don't lump me in with the woefully uneducated and culturally uninterested, just because I prefer dubbed to subtitles. That's not a logical correlation.

Last edited by Sculpt; 04-09-2016 at 08:15 PM.

Tags
movie