Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Evil Dead

My take on Rob Zombie films.......

I LOVE House of 1,000 Corpses!! It was the second movie in my entire life that I went to the theater a second time to watch it (the first being The Lost Boys)!! I loved the characters, the acting, the music, the references to Alice in Wonderland, and mostly, the fact that it was different than anything I have ever watched before. I have watched it sooooo many times. I think that you really have to enjoy "dark" movies to get it.

Devil's Rejects - I had to watch this one more than once before I actually liked it. I was disappointed in the fact that we didn't get more of Dr. Satan, that would have kicked ass!! I liked the way he ended it, it just seemed a perfect way too kill off that family.

Halloween - I really liked this one also. I thought it was incredible how he created a background history on Michael so we could feel the emotions he went through in his childhood. I love the idea of seeing a history on a killer in a movie and it would be great to see more of them.

Halloween 2 - I am a true gore fan and my favorite part of the movie was when he pretty much butchered the girl all over the bathroom. I do think that both Halloween movies could have done without the white horse; for me, it just didn't fit.

Salem's Lot - HATED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I felt like I needed to be on acid in order to understand what the hell was going on!! It really bummed me out because I liked the story line and it started out just fine in the beginning. The dildos were stupid and senseless. A true disappoint from a director I truly have enjoyed in the past. :shocked:

I hope that any future movies that he works on are the same level as House and Halloween.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:08 AM
Innsmouth Swim Team Coach

^Lords of Salem.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Resident Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoGrl View Post
... I really loved House of 1,000 Corpses. It was absolutely horrifying in a disgusting, grotesque kind of way that I hadn't seen before. I appreciated the fact that it tested my nerves without completely scaring me away. I think that the horror was like an artful symphony that climaxed with - SPOILERS - the actual reveal of Dr. Satan (I MEAN HE'S CALLED DR. SATAN).

It's been a while, so I should watch it again, but what really hit me was that the horror truly made my jaw drop - It shocked me. And I loved it.
I have to agree - I know it's a little disconnected, but I thought the character development was excellent, and I love the surreal imagery in and under the house. There was a great deal of shock value too IMO. I've gained a real respect for Bill Moseley, and have watched every movie he's in since. I thought the music was excellent, but then again - I like Rob Zombie.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:46 PM
Splatter Punkette

Send a message via AIM to Siemelle Send a message via MSN to Siemelle Send a message via Skype™ to Siemelle
I dug it

I'm going to set aside Zombie and his take on Halloween because that's a whole different topic unto itself. I'm also going to set aside his newest addition to the horror genre - The Lords of Salem - because I haven't had a chance to see it yet! That being said, I loved both House of 1000 Corpses and its follow-up The Devil's Rejects, but I see them as, really, two different entities with the same characters because those two films are completely different from one another. Both are throwbacks of a different kind with House of 1000 Corpses having a more early 1980s flare to it and Rejects feeling very much like a throwback to the grand time known as the 1970s and all its wonky glory! Rejects is definitely a cleaner, crisper, more violent Ode to Horror than its predecessor which, I think, makes it a far easier pill to swallow. It's very up-front, very in-your-face, and packs a punch that leaves you sort of sitting there blinking and wondering what you were just dragged into. There are also sinister parts in there that make it far more real. For instance, when Otis says that he is the devil and there to do the devil's work, that is attributed to "Tex" Watson (think that's his name) who is infamously connected to the Manson family and the Tate/LaBianca murders. So there is something very gritty about the film, something you can reach out and touch that makes it a fan favorite while still being absolutely horrifying.

House of 1000 Corpses, on the other hand, seemed almost experimental in design not only with the plot - which could have been fixed up to be neater - but with the overall look of the film which played like one of his music videos. I believe, not surprisingly enough, he directed a lot of his videos, too, but I could be wrong about that! House is definitely the harder of the two films to come to terms with because, while Rejects is clean and crisp in presentation, House is almost disjointed in its appeal. However, to me it has a certain charm to it that I loved because it's a roller coaster ride visually and there was something there that reminded me heavily of all the films I watched in the 1980s that made me feel very nostalgic. It has plenty of flaws, but it's fun. I would have, personally, left Dr. Satan as a boogeyman, so to speak, instead of an actual being that lived below ground. Even that part is confusing because everything moves so quickly in the film that the viewer just doesn't know what's what anymore. lol

What I can say is that the man knows how to use music effectively in his films and has a good grasp on what music to use, where to put it, etc. I still just stare without movement during House of 1000 corpses when Slim Whitman starts to sing I Remember You above the police arriving at the Firefly house and discovering the tied up, missing girl in the garage/shed. It's been awhile since I've watched the movie, but that scene stood out from the first time I saw it.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:00 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox13 View Post
^Lords of Salem.
Wow, I just realized that I put "Salem's Lot' on my reply.....what a dork:shocked:

LOL

Thanks for the correction!!