Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-13-2015, 08:38 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giganticface View Post
I just noticed they have Late Phases - another one from last year that's worth watching.

Also, one I've been wanting to see and just noticed is on Netflix: Extraterrestrial.
If its the 2014, its fairly bad. I could not finish it.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:16 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
I just noticed they have Late Phases - another one from last year that's worth watching.

Also, one I've been wanting to see and just noticed is on Netflix: Extraterrestrial.
I'll check out Late Phases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBossInTheWall View Post
If its the 2014, its fairly bad. I could not finish it.
Completely agree, it became background noise for me.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Evil Dead

Zombeavers - I didn't love it as much as some did, but it's good fun. Creature flick that pays tribute to the slasher formula, but it can't seem to decide how tongue-in-cheek that homage is.

[REC]4 - It's been there a couple weeks but I thought I'd mention it. Disappointing compared to the first two, and not zom-com like the third. Straight action horror, but worth a watch if you like that kind of thing.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 AM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Zombeavers - I didn't love it as much as some did, but it's good fun. Creature flick that pays tribute to the slasher formula, but it can't seem to decide how tongue-in-cheek that homage is.
With how bad the characters, story, and puppets were, it felt more like it was poking fun rather than paying tribute. Although that may just be me.

And how do you define 'slasher'? I'm not trying to sound smart, I'm fairly new to these terms. I always thought a madman with a weapon going after horny teens was pretty much a slasher flick.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:25 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
With how bad the characters, story, and puppets were, it felt more like it was poking fun rather than paying tribute. Although that may just be me.

And how do you define 'slasher'? I'm not trying to sound smart, I'm fairly new to these terms. I always thought a madman with a weapon going after horny teens was pretty much a slasher flick.
Zombeavers is a creature flick, so not really a slasher, but follows a slasher formula. Different definitions of the formula have been written about, some very strict and some more flexible, but the slasher subgenre is the only one that intentionally seems to adhere to a repeatable structure -- so repeatable that the movie Scream satired the subgenre by calling out the formula in its script. (As a side note, the film also adhered to the formula it was satirizing, thus also being an actual slasher film, kicking off the "meta horror" trend.)

The most detailed description of the formula that I know of was described by Vera Dika, and is included in this wiki in the "Definition" section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slasher_film#Definition

I'm not nearly as strict about it, and would call anything that follows a handful of those items a slasher. That most typically might include:

- The bad guy has a back story
- The bad guy is stylized or iconic, not just a regular person
- The goods guys are a group of people
- The goods guys ignore a warning
- The goods guys do some other immoral stuff, have sex, or maybe just act like jerks
- The goods guys get picked off one by one by the bad guy (and maybe some ancillary characters also get killed along the way)
- Usually there's a final girl

Quote:
I always thought a madman with a weapon going after horny teens was pretty much a slasher flick.
That definition is pretty solid -- I agree with it. Regarding the "formula", however, there are a number of films that aren't technically slashers because there's no madman with a weapon, but they follow the formula to a large degree. Examples include Alien, Jaws and Final Destination.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:55 AM
Evil Dead

Just watched Missionary (2013). Not bad for a low budget, creepy stalker thriller. You might not like it if you're Mormon.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:27 PM
Evil Dead

Nightcrawler is on Netflix. Been looking forward to seeing this one.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:52 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Nightcrawler is on Netflix. Been looking forward to seeing this one.
I would say it's good but a little overrated. Jake Gyllenhaal's assistant is aggravating.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Geez I'm glad I came across a list of movies leaving this month. Just in time to catch a few on my list before they're gone. I want to make this a monthly or so thing so people know what's leaving and can watch the movies they want to before they're gone.

Texas Chainsaw is leaving June 29th! Get that in if you have a mighty need.
Leaving June 30th:
- Godzilla (1998)
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)
Full list: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leav...-in-june-2015/

Leaving in July: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leav...-in-july-2015/

So much leaving that I want to watch and I have to work this weekend. fml

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:07 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Geez I'm glad I came across a list of movies leaving this month. Just in time to catch a few on my list before they're gone. I want to make this a monthly or so thing so people know what's leaving and can watch the movies they want to before they're gone.

Texas Chainsaw is leaving June 29th! Get that in if you have a mighty need.
Leaving June 30th:
- Godzilla (1998)
- Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (2013)
Full list: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leav...-in-june-2015/

Leaving in July: http://www.whats-on-netflix.com/leav...-in-july-2015/

So much leaving that I want to watch and I have to work this weekend. fml
Thanks for the heads up! It's annoying that the mobile and connected device apps down have a way to see when movies are expiring. This is helpful.