Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-22-2015, 04:33 PM
No, fuck YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux2007 View Post
Secret in Their Eyes (2015)

Remaking the 2009 Best Foreign Film Oscar winner The Secret in Their Eyes seems somewhat unnecessary and even strange, but whether you wanted it or not, here's Secret in Their Eyes. In 2002, a tight-knit group of investigators is torn apart after one of their daughters is found brutally murdered in a dumpster. The mother vows revenge on her killer while the other FBI agents hunt for the murderer. Thirteen years later, one of them wants the case re-opened after he thinks he has found where the killer has been. The film often switches between 2002 and 2015, and the "past timeline" uses the September 11th attacks to present themes about criminality and prejudice in the country. The issue with the double setting, however, is that poor editing makes it difficult to distinguish which timeline we are watching at any given moment. You'll have to look for the grey in Chiwetel Ejiofor's beard or the length of Nicole Kidman's hair to determine if a particular scene takes place in 2002 or 2015. Despite this one persistent issue, Secret in Their Eyes is a beautifully shot, superbly acted and unpredictable crime thriller . Julia Roberts gives arguably her best performance that will unfortunately go unnoticed due to mixed reviews for this movie. She has some incredibly powerful scenes throughout the film, all of which are helped by great writing. Secret in Their Eyes might be an unnecessary remake, but it's all-star cast and moody atmosphere should make up for that.

8/10

Sold.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:47 AM
No, fuck YOU

"Asmodeus" 1/10

Absolutely horrible.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Evil Sweat

Ted 2, Uncut Version (2015)
A-
Not sure if it will stand the test of time but I certainly had a lot of laughs.
For all I care they can make one of these every two years or so.

The Man From Uncle (2015)
B
Better than I expected. Could become a decent franchise.

American Ultra (2015)
B/C
I think this is the 4th f"spy" movie I've seen this year.
Original take on the genre but there was missing something I just can't put my finger on.

Last edited by Baron Von Marlon; 11-23-2015 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:58 PM
HDC's werewolf enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Marlon View Post
The Man From Uncle (2015)
B
Better than I expected. Could become a decent franchise.
Your rating gives me hope, Baron. I don't often look for gems among adaptions. The TV show was fantastic (and who'd've thought NCIS's Ducky was so sexy in his younger days ), I can't imagine the movie coming close.

Supposed to be happy, but I'm only getting colder. Wear a smile on my face, but there's a demon inside.
Free to use signature images and avatars!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:30 PM
Evil Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roiffalo View Post
Your rating gives me hope, Baron. I don't often look for gems among adaptions. The TV show was fantastic (and who'd've thought NCIS's Ducky was so sexy in his younger days ), I can't imagine the movie coming close.
Haven't seen the original series so I can't compare but the movie itself was pretty decent imo.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:09 PM
病気の

Suspension, 2015. 7/10 {8 Films to Die For}

Thumb resize.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Penthouse Pauper

42-2013. 9/10. Great bio film about Jackie Robinson. I'm a little baseball fanatic.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:04 AM
Evil Dead

Green Inferno

B

Started out well, continued well for awhile, then it went downhill and the ending was a major disappoint.

Diabolical

B-

I really got into it then the ending happened....wtf??!!

The Pack

A-

Pretty cool even though it's not an original idea.

Condemned (2015)

B-

Not bad, amusing if anything.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Horror > Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialKiller View Post
42-2013. 9/10. Great bio film about Jackie Robinson. I'm a little baseball fanatic.
I liked that one quite a bit. Nice performances. Tough to tell Jackie's story without overdramatizing events and coming off sappy, but they succeeded often. I maaaay be a little bit of a baseball fanatic myself.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Evil Dead

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1

***Contains spoilers for the previous films in the franchise***

Since the first novel was released in 2008, The Hunger Games series has become one of the biggest YA franchises on the market, and it's been probably the only series to legitimately rival the Harry Potter franchise in sheer popularity. Although The Maze Runner and Divergent have enjoyed enough success to spawn their own film adaptations, neither have been nearly as lucrative as The Hunger Games. The franchise's complicated and timely hero as well as its biting political subtext has attracted many people to the series, and seven years, later the final film has been released to close the series. To get ready for it, I decided to watch the penultimate chapter, Mockingjay: Part 1. After destroying the arena at the 75th Annual Hunger Games, Katniss is brought to the underground District 13 in order to assume her identity as the Mockingjay, a symbol of hope and rebellion for the people of Panem. However, Katniss's hope begins to burn out when she realizes that Peeta was captured by the Capitol and is being brainwashed to convince the people to stop the rebellion. Even as a fan of the series, splitting the final book into two parts felt less like a narrative enhancement and more like an attempt to make more money. Some scenes seemed to drag on too long or be completely unnecessary. The book could easily be adapted into an epic three-hour conclusion and still be effective. There was also much less action than the previous films. However, the action scenes that were present are as poignant and exciting as ever. The series' strengths have always outweighed its issues, and Mockingjay: Part 1 is no exception. Jennifer Lawrence is still mesmerizing in her portrayal of Katniss, and the social commentary is just as timely and striking as it is in the other films. It may feel like too much exposition for the conclusion, but The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 is a grim and exciting set-up for a hopefully action-packed finale.

8/10

Tags
movie