Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM
Guitarist Extraordinaire

The standard poster but I always liked it:

I rented this one based on the video box cover when I was a kid. I was expecting something like Friday The 13th...boy was I ever wrong. It's now a running joke with me and I've grown to love it but I was pretty much like wtf? when I first saw it.

Another I rented as a kid thinking it would be along the same lines. Again...way off, but again it's now a running joke between me and my buddies and we dig it out once in a while to laugh and drink some beers.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

ha...rented many movies off the poster art alone.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Banned

this one comes to mind.....sure there were chicks in the movie...but not any of these

Old 05-04-2012, 08:24 PM
mostly ghostly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
ha...rented many movies off the poster art alone.
Oh yeah, that was a huge part of the VHS days especially. And it's also what got a lot of movies banned during the Video Nasty craze. Some of them were really nuts:

Old 05-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Scares Little Kids

There's some really good ones on here

Old 05-08-2012, 04:30 AM
Rebel Without Applause

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshiq View Post
Also been a fan of fan-made blu-ray/dvd covers

Wow, I adore that Friday the 13th one. The Superman Returns one is quite cool as well (even though I thought that movie was an hour too long).

I worked at a video store in my late teens and early 20's and this Predator 2 VHS cover always caught my eye. It works so well - especially considering how mediocre that movie is. I've always wanted a poster of it but I don't think they make it in poster form.

There's a book I picked up off Amazon not too long ago called Portable Grindhouse: The Lost Art of the VHS Box which brought back so many great memories of browsing through the video rental store as a kid. It's all just nostalgia, but I miss those crappy VHS covers, the crappy VHS tapes with totally blown out colors and borderline-unwatchable dark/indoor scenes. As much as I love BD, every once in a while I have a hankering to watch a VHS of Street Trash or Intruder with the lights out and a big 'ole bucket of popcorn.