Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror.com Lobby > Horror.com General Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Listen 2 Buckethead!

i dont know hollywood stepped up this year with FvJ and TCM so im not really disapointed this year and next year the new haloween movie comes out, i kant wait!
Old 11-07-2003, 03:51 PM
does anybody read this?

yea man i cant wait either
Old 11-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Hellraiser

i believe there are several reasons why horror movies arent scary anymore. i will try to list some of them in no particular order. first, we arent kids anymore. in this day and age of technilogocal advances, we have lost our ability to suspend our disbelief. we know whats on mars, for heavens sake, why would we be afraid of whats under our bed. second, we have been pounded repeatedly with endless gore, redundant movie plots, and sequels. i mean after a while you start to catch on. the same goes for fx. some of them are so good that they show too much. i start watching them. finally i think we have confused shock with horror.let me explain. lets say you take your family to the texas chainsaw massacre. three quarters of the way through the movie a man with a mask and a chainsaw comes busting through the door. it would shock the devil out of you but if you didnt run out you would soon relize that it was just a jerk with a mask. on the other hand if you go into the same movie with your family and 3/4 of the way through it it became pitch black and when the lights come back up your family is gone. that would be horror. and its hard to get that kind of effect while spending millions of dollars on fx.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:20 AM
Cryptkeeper

Send a message via AIM to avenger00soul Send a message via Yahoo to avenger00soul
Quote:
Originally posted by billbundix
i believe there are several reasons why horror movies arent scary anymore. i will try to list some of them in no particular order. first, we arent kids anymore. in this day and age of technilogocal advances, we have lost our ability to suspend our disbelief. we know whats on mars, for heavens sake, why would we be afraid of whats under our bed. second, we have been pounded repeatedly with endless gore, redundant movie plots, and sequels. i mean after a while you start to catch on.
I completely agree with what you just said. Especially the kids part. Nothing is going to scare us like it did back then.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Evil Dead

Quote:
i believe there are several reasons why horror movies arent scary anymore. i will try to list some of them in no particular order. first, we arent kids anymore. in this day and age of technilogocal advances, we have lost our ability to suspend our disbelief. we know whats on mars, for heavens sake, why would we be afraid of whats under our bed. second, we have been pounded repeatedly with endless gore, redundant movie plots, and sequels. i mean after a while you start to catch on. the same goes for fx. some of them are so good that they show too much. i start watching them. finally i think we have confused shock with horror.let me explain. lets say you take your family to the texas chainsaw massacre. three quarters of the way through the movie a man with a mask and a chainsaw comes busting through the door. it would shock the devil out of you but if you didnt run out you would soon relize that it was just a jerk with a mask. on the other hand if you go into the same movie with your family and 3/4 of the way through it it became pitch black and when the lights come back up your family is gone. that would be horror. and its hard to get that kind of effect while spending millions of dollars on fx.
I have to disagree with this to a point. I know most of us on this forum are not really scared of horror movies(just certain things freak us out) BUT I have meet people that are deathly scared of horror movies and refuse not to watch them, and all of them are aduts. So there is people out there that are scared of them.

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Hellraiser

yes but some people are afraid of cheese, too. but that doesnt mean its scarry
Old 11-10-2003, 05:30 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
yes but some people are afraid of cheese, too. but that doesnt mean its scarry
here are some fucking awesome phobias

http://www.phobialist.com/reverse.html

Fulci Lives!!!!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:36 PM
does anybody read this?

there is a phobia of an erected penis. must suck if a guy has that phobia
Old 11-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally posted by crazy clown
there is a phobia of an erected penis. must suck if a guy has that phobia
yeah I know.. man there is a phobia for bathing... WTF :confused: who the hell is going to be scared of bathing.. Now this is not talking about people that just dont bath, but shit how can ya be affraid of that... ??

Fulci Lives!!!!