Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Classic Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Fascist Zombie

Send a message via AIM to TheOmen
Quote:
I got into a HUGE thing on here about 2 years ago about Donnie Darko. everyone loved it and I thought it was overrated crap
You would be correct.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:05 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
I usually try to back up my opinions around here, although I have been known to be lazy and just put "It sucks" or "Great movie" from time to time.

Personally, I think Napolean Dynamite is way over-exposed. The first time I saw it I thought it was hilarious, the second time I caught a few things I missed, but it was less funny, and by the third, I was waiting for it to end. You can hardly go anywhere around people my age without hearing conversation about this movie, and that bugs me. I mean, sure. It was a pretty good movie, I gotta admit...but it wasnt THAT good IMO. It did have originality on it's side, but that was ground into the dirt after being quoted non-stop over the past couple years.

One movie I think I probably simply reviewed as "It sucks" is Jigsaw. I didnt feel like wasting anymore of my life on that movie past the 90 min I wasted watching it. The plot, for starters, was pretty bad, but no worse than alot of slashers that turned out MUCH better [IE- Childs Play]. This had potential to be a semi-decent, so-bad-it's-good campy slasher....but it wast. Jigsaw itself is probably the best part of the movie, and he doesnt show up until the movie's damn near finished. The acting is just plain bad, from the Bruce Campbell wannabe to the plastic slut that was more than likely cast at a strip club. The whole lapdance segment was pointless and overlong, an to be honest, she's not even that hot. The kills were unoriginal, and the "plot twist" was so obvious it's not even funny.

Another movie that I would be tempted to say sucked is the "classic" Lord of the Flies. We watched this film in English class last week just after we finished reading the book. I thought the book was incredible, with it's heavy symbolism and it's portrayal of Human nature. The film however, fell flat. Without having read the book, most of it would have mad no sence whatsoever [The whole "Lord of the Flies" sequence especially]. I know from experiance that there is such thing as good, child actors...however these kids are awful. Jack and Ralph had their moments, however scenes that were powerful in the book were bland here, simply due to their monotone delivery. Piggy was the only character that did his literary counterpart any juctice at all, as we was easily one of the most annoying characters I have ever seen on film. Peter Brook's directing was amatuer at best, with the best evidence of the is being the scene where the hunters introduce themselves:rolleyes:. I must admit that the "beast" did look quiite good, however without knowlege from the book, it was a wasted scene.

Ok, my fingers are starting to hurt:p
Old 01-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Return
Personally, I think Napolean Dynamite is way over-exposed. ... You can hardly go anywhere around people my age without hearing conversation about this movie, and that bugs me. ........... It did have originality on it's side, but that was ground into the dirt after being quoted non-stop over the past couple years.

thats not a critique on the movie .. it's a critique of the fans !

I Spit On Your Grave - in a sort of similar vein - was largely judged on it's initial release on the reaction of some asshole fans .. yelling encouragement at the rapists ...

are movies bad because people (fans - trendoids) are stupid ?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:21 AM
AKA Vampenguin/Dark_Hero

Send a message via AIM to The_Return
Quote:
Originally posted by urgeok
thats not a critique on the movie .. it's a critique of the fans !

I Spit On Your Grave - in a sort of similar vein - was largely judged on it's initial release on the reaction of some asshole fans .. yelling encouragement at the rapists ...

are movies bad because people (fans - trendoids) are stupid ?
I suppose your right. However, I do think that a film can be cheapened by it's fans. Being in High School [which Id assume you've been out of for awhile, eh?:p], on a normal day, I can hardly walk through the hall without seeing a "Vote for Pedro" t-shirt, or hearing someone say "Gosh!" in a terrible imitation of Jon Heder. IMO, the film's major plus was it's originality, and while these fans dont actually change the film in any way, shape or form, it does steal what I consider the high-point of the film. Im not saying that it's a bad film by any means, simply that it's way overdone. I dont much care for this film for the same reason I see "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" as overrated, it may be a different, original "quirky" film, however it's simply overdone in pop-culture. It's not original anymore.