Go Back   Horror.com Forums - Talk about horror. > Horror Movie Discussion > Latest Horror Movies
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM
Evil Dead

Malcolm X 1992

This one has been sitting in my DVD collection for so long that I cannot even remember how it got there in the first place.

As a biopic, it has the merit that it does not sugarcoat things off the way other biopics do. It shows X's ugly side as well, like with his coke problem. It also does not shy away from the notion that, in spite of their talk of elevating, some people within the Nation of Islam were not above all too human treats like petty jealousy – brother Malcolm gets too much attention – or Malcolm's disappointment in Elijah Muhammad.

Now if you are not fully immersed, these epics tend to drag a bit here and there. As a viewer with a bit more distance from the subject matter, I sometimes if a few more cuts could have helped the tempo. That said, I understand that a lot of these details were necessary to paint the picture needed to understand the complex person that is Malcolm X. Where he came from, what he (and his family) had to endure on the way to become the person he ended up being.

With a lot of beautiful shots in the process. Because let's not forget that this is a technically very accomplished film. People talk about Denzel being snubbed, but an award in on of the technical categories ( likeediting or cinematography) would have been welcome, not to mention directing. Spike Lee turned this into a passion project. He really goes out of his way to turn this an epic historic immersing the viewer in the historical significance of X.

And if you thought young Will Smith was charming... Good lord. He had nothing on Denzel.

Lowlifes 2024 ★★★★

Talk about a pleasant surprise.

The plot synopsis and the opening had me set up for some Texas Chainsaw/Hills Have Eyes-ish mayhem with city slickers being tortured by hicks from the sticks. But then... sweerve!

People say the twist was predictable and judging from similar titles like Little Bone Lodge, one could see why. For me, however, it came out of nowhere and for the rest of the movie's runtime, it had me hook, line and sinker.

Rather than a genuine feast of scares, it turns into a dark comedy. And a good one at that, mind you. Fairly early, it gave me an idea about the final survivors, but the screenwriter still does a good job in keeping you guessing with some twists and turns.

The characters are often a bit stereotypical, but I liked them. Wether it was the Roy Scheider looking dad or the daughter (who kind of gave away a Maya Hawke-vibe). And to be honest, it was in the writer's interest to make the guys in the opening scene as cliché redneck as possible. Raising the question: is it harder to write a likable character or make an unlikable character interesting enough to keep you invested in the story?

In closing: a) don't sleep on this one and b) the less you know going in, the better
Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM
Evil Dead

Roadkill 2024 ★½

A Hitcher-knockoff with a twist that's pretty obvious 20 minutes in, making the later reveal a tad underwhelming. And the reveal with the cop is ridiculous.

Nonetheless it's still an entertaining mess of B-movie schlock. With the type of offscreen kills and horrible greenscreens that are kind of adorable in their own way. Also, we get a bit of Danielle Harris, but her character is completely irrelevant to the story.

Half star extra for the coroner with the Friday the 13th T and a separate mention for the weed scene. I believe this strain is called Nancy Reagan.

For fans of B-movies and/or Danielle Harris.

Tarot 2024 ★

A crossover between Final Destination (minus the gore) and Evil Dead (without the intensity or the fun).

The result is Womp Womp the movie, where the “best” parts only remind you of better movies.

Character: Death is coming for me.
Tony Todd: And you don't wanna fuck with that mack daddy.

Character: You're bleeding.
Jesse Ventura: I ain't got time to bleed.

Character: Fuck faith.
Me: Hey! You leave Buffy out of this!

Also why do the above mentioned have… more

Liz Drives 2017 ★★★

A solid short with two sisters traveling to see their mother.

It's a decent moodpiece with the tension under the surface while they travel. Then they stop to get gas and a snack before everything goes south, leading up to a creepy ending.

Decision to Leave 2022 ★★★★

A very stylish and visually impressive thriller with a vibe that reminded me of Hitchcock.

One that also demands a rewatch some time in the future.

Well recommended, that's for certain.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 AM
Evil Dead

28 Days Later 2002 ★★★★½

One of those gems that easily survive and even improve upon a rewatch.

Upon this rewatch, I appreciated how well structured the opening scene with the animal activists was. Not one shot too much. You see just enough to get a full picture of what's going on.

Then of course, there is the iconic image of Cillian Murphy in an abandoned London. A logistic masterpiece to get that all worked out. Only making you wonder if it gives more chills before or after Covid. Not in the least helped by that amazing song by Godspeed you black emperor.

Speaking of which, the score deserves a separate nod. Apart GYBE, there's Grandaddy accompanying the standard zombie flick shopping scene. I had kind of forgotten how beautiful that song is and upon this rewatch, I was also struck by the timing. How this song coincides with the relief after a nailbiter of a chase sequence.

Bringing me to the action scenes. Wether it's Jim being chased by the infected or the flat tire scene I just referred to. Edge of your seat stuff. No reinventing the wheel, bust excellently done thriller stuff and the horror of the scene where Frank is infected. With the relatableness of the characters helping in further intensifying the horrors they go through.

On this rewatch, I got around to flipping through the extras. While I like the ending as it is, I am also piggybacking between the more optimistic ending we have now and the one where Jim dies. I can imagine that working as well.

Up a half star from my previous rating. Great stuff.

The Pope’s Exorcist 2023 ★★

Between an unconvincing Russell Crowe, atrocious CGI, a dull plot and clichés like the ever growling "devil", this one only proves why Immaculate and The First Omen are good.

Also, what's with the dad jokes in an exorcism film?

The second star is for one or two scary moments with the family and Russell Crowe bothering to learn Italian.

There are better religious horrors out there.

Tags
movie