View Single Post
Old 09-17-2006, 06:45 AM
Evil Dead

Well, he grew up wild, and he's still not used to getting food from me...
That'd be why. Cats are still very close to their feral instincts, even the domesticated ones,
when given the oppertunity, nearly every cat will hunt. Same thing...The wild cats are even closer.
When you have a pet cat for some time, or it grows up around you, you're more than likely considered
close to family, and they'll generally trust most humans to some extent, however, many are still wary
of "strangers" and apprehensive. Those "immediately cuddly" cats that just love everyone are not all
that common.
There's no such garauntee on a cat that's grown up wild, only among it's own kind...I imagine it's very competetive
out there, where protecting their food/kill could mean the difference between living healthy or starving, becoming
weakened, and eventually die. Something about their former/ancestral instinct to complete predators, stays with
all cats...and so much more among those who have relied only upon themselves.
Which brings this up
Quote:
I went to pet him while he was eating
A mistake from the beggining. I've seen it happen many times among cats and dogs alike. With a cat like this, the potential was that much greater...I wouldn't take it personally, I just wouldn't do that again.
The animal probably meant no offence, and how long you've known it, I believe in this case, is irrelevant.