dantehorrorfan
10-01-2004, 02:43 AM
The excorsist

elsid
10-01-2004, 06:42 AM
i agree with the exorcist dam book gave me nightmares

brideofcthulu
10-01-2004, 08:49 AM
Pet Sematary is defenitely the scariest fiction book I've ever read. The scariest based on fact book I ever read, was The Devil in Conneticut, I had to stay away from horror for a short time, to recover

amycutthroat
10-01-2004, 10:34 AM
i've actually never found a book scary

zwoti
10-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by amycutthroat

the only thing i've read that scared me was my bank statement

Haunted
10-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by brideofcthulu
Pet Sematary is defenitely the scariest fiction book I've ever read. The scariest based on fact book I ever read, was The Devil in Conneticut, I had to stay away from horror for a short time, to recover

What's the Devil in Conneticut about? Seems like I've heard of it, but I can't remember.

brideofcthulu
10-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Its about a teenager that murders his whole family. Its written from his point of view, what he saw, what he experienced, and why.

Dark_Hero
10-11-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by amycutthroat

Same

The Exorcist was kinda....heckuva lot better than the movie!

phantomstranger
10-24-2004, 11:20 PM
1. Salem's Lot
2. They Thrist
3.The Exorcist
4 The Amittyville Horror

ButterflyKate09
11-12-2004, 05:00 PM
NEVER FOUND ONE THAT REALLY SCARED ME BUT I WOULD LIKE TO, I AM GOING TO TRY PET SEMATARY AND THE EXCORSIST NOW THOUGH!!!!!

Steve_Hutchison
11-12-2004, 05:40 PM
Lose the caps. Makes me aggressive.

juanhacko
11-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Salem's Lot
Dracula
Laura

ButterflyKate09
11-13-2004, 11:33 AM
caps lost

Steve_Hutchison
11-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Thanks!

nine9
11-13-2004, 12:35 PM
The Shining.........next would be Salem's Lot. I am reading that one again for a book club.

urgeok
11-13-2004, 01:43 PM
i cant for the life of me even begin to understand how someone can be frightened by a book ..

I did read 2 books that had a weird effect when i was reading them though ..

Dune made me look at water differently ..

And there was a Laurence Saunders book that was futuristic .. (rare for him) and it made me hyper aware of something while i was reading it - and i cant remember what it was now.

Hows that for some valuable info ! :)

Steve_Hutchison
11-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by urgeok
i cant for the life of me even begin to understand how someone can be frightened by a book ..

And there was a Laurence Saunders book that was futuristic .. (rare for him) and it made me hyper aware of something while i was reading it - and i cant remember what it was now.

If books can't scare you, then movies can't either.

urgeok
11-13-2004, 01:57 PM
i havent been scared by a movie since i was a kid ..
but i disagree completely.

The music is what scares you in a movie ..
You dont get sudden carefully placed bursts of soundtrack when reading a book.

Steve_Hutchison
11-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Well I try as much as possible to dim down the lights and get rid of every noise when reading a scary book. Makes it eerier. Could can work things out to make it scarier.

knife_fight
11-13-2004, 03:44 PM
When I was about 13 I read the short story "The Boogeyman" by Stephen King (out of his collection "Night Shift"). It creeped me out so bad that I think I blacked out.

zombie2112
12-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Night of the Claw - Ramsey Campbell

Pet Sematary - S. King

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Amityville Horror

Ghost short stories in general

Kitty
01-03-2005, 12:23 PM
it-steven king
the crow-my own
the giver-unknown to me-soso:(
is that ok?

kpropain
01-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Dick and Jane books were teh scary...:eek:

SamCostello
01-08-2005, 01:29 PM
As an adult, House of Leaves.

As a kid, I'm sure there were a bunch, but I don't remember.

Sam

Moezilla
03-02-2005, 09:54 AM
The Exorcist without a doubt. Reading it late at night, with all the ambient sounds of the house adding to the already overactive imagination can give you the serious creeps.

The Hyde Effect was another that was eerie and had some good scare factor, especially the last act which made you feel the fear of those involved. With the right director and some cleaning up, this would be an excellent werewolf movie. Something we seriously need, I am TIRED of vampires. lol

ningenmanga
03-02-2005, 09:56 AM
Helter Skelter made me sleep with the light on for about a week when I read it in high school. The last twenty pages when they desrcibe other unsolved murders possibly linked to teh Manson Family was especially chilling.

evil_deadman
03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by phantomstranger
1. Salem's Lot
2. They Thrist
3.The Exorcist
4 The Amittyville Horror

What is "They Thirst" about?.I used to have the paperback and somehow some of my books have mysteriously dissapeared:confused: anyway i still have "Stinger" and "Blue World" By Robert R McCammon,but I didnt get to read "They Thirst" before it got stolen/dissapeared/ran off..lol.or whatever.I do remember it sounding very interesting ,(checking it out on various websites..etc).I'm gonna have to get another copy!

taylorsmommy
03-08-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by evil_deadman
What is "They Thirst" about?.I used to have the paperback and somehow some of my books have mysteriously dissapeared:confused: anyway i still have "Stinger" and "Blue World" By Robert R McCammon,but I didnt get to read "They Thirst" before it got stolen/dissapeared/ran off..lol.or whatever.I do remember it sounding very interesting ,(checking it out on various websites..etc).I'm gonna have to get another copy!

Vampires. It's one of my favorite books. I used to have it also and it disappeared.

urgeok
03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by taylorsmommy
Vampires. It's one of my favorite books. I used to have it also and it disappeared.

you mean : Vampire$ ?

the book John Carpenter's Vampires was based on ?

taylorsmommy
03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
you mean : Vampire$ ?

the book John Carpenter's Vampires was based on ?

No, I was answering evil's question. The book "They Thirst" is about vampires who take over Los Angeles.

urgeok
03-08-2005, 12:13 PM
oh .. duhh sorry

i read They Thirst a long time ago ..

wasnt it vampires .. plus the city turning into a desert ..?

taylorsmommy
03-08-2005, 12:16 PM
oh .. duhh sorry

i read They Thirst a long time ago ..

wasnt it vampires .. plus the city turning into a desert ..?

The vampire prince caused a massive sandstorm so the humans would be trapped inside and be easy prey.

urgeok
03-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by taylorsmommy
The vampire prince caused a massive sandstorm so the humans would be trapped inside and be easy prey.

sort of like The Day After Tomorrow, with sand instead of ice .. and vampires instead of ... well, Dennis Quaid .. i guess.

vampire prince sounds goofy ...

like Prince .. lisping Little Red Corvette with big fangs.

taylorsmommy
03-08-2005, 12:48 PM
sort of like The Day After Tomorrow, with sand instead of ice .. and vampires instead of ... well, Dennis Quaid .. i guess.

vampire prince sounds goofy ...

like Prince .. lisping Little Red Corvette with big fangs.

I always wished they would make a movie of it - maybe we could get Prince to do it!:D

FangoFan
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
I remember a book I read a long time ago that scared the fuckin' shit out of me.

Night Stone by Rick Hautala

FangoFan
03-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Steve_Hutchison
Well I try as much as possible to dim down the lights and get rid of every noise when reading a scary book. Makes it eerier. Could can work things out to make it scarier.

I totally agree. I've not been scaired by a movie in a good while.

Something about a book that hooks me in more that opens my mind than imbeds it's fear.

babygirl20
03-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by elsid
FOR ME HAD TO BE PET SEMETARY...ANYBODY

I agree, Pet Semetary was a damn scarey ass book, so was Amittyville Horror. :eek:

Haunted
03-30-2005, 05:19 PM
The scariest book I ever read was The Exorcist. I thought The Amittyville Horror would scare me, but it actually didn't. It was a good read, though.

Buffy_101
03-30-2005, 11:29 PM
Nothing really scared me but John Saul's "Suffer the Children" was pretty disturbing.

urgeok
03-31-2005, 08:19 AM
newspapers scare me ..

i can be entertained by a horror novel if written well (something that in itself is rarer than 7 cent coin) but scared .... not a chance.

ShankS
04-01-2005, 05:42 AM
I've not read a book in years something like 20 odd years... I'm not a book worm and I get easily distracted, even though for some weird reason, I've got a full bookshelf of stuff I intended to read over the years.

but I do remember one book, with a particular scene in it that freaked me out, must have been 10 or 11 years old, it was called Inseminoid, about aliens and a woman was raped by one, she then went on a murder spree around a space ship, thats all I can really remember of it.

A film was made, but I've not seen it.

nwdavies
04-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Hell House by Richard Matheson - pity they screwed up the movie so badly!

alkytrio666
05-08-2005, 08:07 AM
I'm gonna' get ripped on for this...but I've read a good majority of Stephen King's works, and the novel "Dreamcatcher" really creeped me out. Now, before the insults begin, keep in mind that I didn't think the movie was scary at all whatsoever, so you can only imput on this if you've read the book, because it's a lot scarier than the movie. It just kinda gave me the creeps.

Hey Urge, what's "The Dune" about?

urgeok
05-08-2005, 10:42 AM
the dune ??

alkytrio666
05-08-2005, 01:18 PM

Yah, is Dune a book? Or an author or what...the one that made you look at water differently.

urgeok
05-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
Yah, is Dune a book? Or an author or what...the one that made you look at water differently.

oh ..

Dune ... just Dune .

by Frank Herbert. arguable one of the best - most famous Sci-Fi novels of all times ..

Highly recommended.

alkytrio666
05-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Sweet, thanks. I'll check it out. Is it really weird and shit?

urgeok
05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
Sweet, thanks. I'll check it out. Is it really weird and shit?

the 1st one isnt weird .. its just really well conceived.

the sequels get weirder as they progress .. Herbert has a very complex and imaginative way of writing .. he sees things that no one else could dream of ...

very detailed .. but that doesnt mean its easy to understand.

The first novel is a creation .. worlds are created in detail ..
and intrigue .. lots of intrigue ...

fighting amung houses .. it has the feel of old england ... barons using espionage against each other ...

kind of hard to explain .. i'd buy it immediately..

crazy raplh
05-08-2005, 03:31 PM
mutation by cook

virus five
05-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Thumbs up for mentioning Dune.

I'll also agree with an earlier post regarding House of Leaves by Danielewski: a novel that was able to attack parts of my psyche that I never knew could get scared.

crazy raplh
05-10-2005, 06:57 AM
Goosebumps

alkytrio666
05-10-2005, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by crazy raplh
Goosebumps

Are you being serious?

jenna26
05-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I have been thinking about this and I think that probably the book that scared me most was Pet Semetary. I was actually fairly young when I read it and it freaked me out pretty good. I think that is why I remain such a faithful King fan today.

Trash
05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Scariest book i've ever read would have to be 'Naomis Room' by Johnathan Aycliffe. Extremely Spine Chilling ghost story!!

Jim Allcorn
05-24-2005, 11:10 AM
As a 43 year old, lifelong, voracious reader & fan of genre fiction, it takes a LOT to get a shiver out of me. I definitely DON'T scare easily.
But, each of the following gave me a chill:

SALEM'S LOT - My favorite King novel & IMO his scariest.

VAMPYRRHIC - Simon Clark's take on a SALEM'S LOT-esque
plot generates nearly as many chills as the original.

TAP TAP - Author David Martin may not be a household name
in genre circles, but with this novel he certainly wrote
something much more frightening than the vast majority of
horror fiction's household names ever have.

SUMMER OF NIGHT - Hands down, this one has my vote as
the "scariest book ever". Simmons' fine sequel A WINTER'S
HAUNTING had it's hair raising moments as well.

THE AMITYVILLE HORROR - Jay Anson's book deserves an
"honorable mention" here even though I was left rather
disappointed upon rereading it last month, because it
absolutely made my skin crawl when I read it as a teen way
back in 1978.

chrisbarnesfan1
06-04-2005, 09:17 AM
Pet Sematary and The Shining

" Sometimes dead is better.."
" All work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

The STE
01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
"Revelations" by Jesus

frogbottomblue
01-21-2006, 04:39 AM
mine was:

'Storming the Gate, the Horrible Discovery of Professor Sims.'

talk about intense, the thing has teeth.

it used to be 'The Exorcist' until about a month ago though....

sabersword
01-25-2006, 05:13 PM
Ya, probly the Exorsist. However, It by Steven King was not only epic but, scary as all hell. I also recamend, Floting Dragon by Peter Straub.

noctuary
01-27-2006, 06:48 AM
Prey by Graham Masterson. A very, very disturbing book.

sabersword
02-11-2006, 01:19 PM
Have to agree with knife fight, the short King story the boogyman got to me. Still hate closets to this day! HA!

Posher778
02-11-2006, 08:14 PM
the stand made me uncomfortable and no one could calm me down for a week, same with stephen's it.

but scariest? Dracula.

i don't read books about satanism or anything, or books like pet sematary, etc, because they make me very uncomfortable, and i don't like that.