PDA

View Full Version : Extasy Kills 14 Year Old

bloodrayne
09-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Testimony: No Calls For Help As 14-Year-Old Fatally Overdosed
Doctor: If Girl Had Received Timely Care, She'd Likely Be Alive Today

LOS ANGELES -- A 14-year-old Belmont, Calif., girl suffered convulsions, vomited about 20 times and complained of headaches after she took a fatal dose of the party drug Ecstasy, but none of her friends called for help, according to police testimony.

Belmont police officers offered a detailed account Wednesday of the April night Irma Perez overdosed at a friend's slumber party. She was declared brain-dead that weekend, and died days later after she was taken off life support.

The officers gave testimony in San Mateo County Juvenile Court, where a 17-year-old who allegedly supplied the drugs to Irma and the other girls is being held on seven charges, including involuntary manslaughter.

The officers' testimony, based on interviews with eyewitnesses, offered a glimpse of drug-savvy teenagers and clueless adults in a case that has shocked parents and teachers in the San Francisco Bay area, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

After taking the Ecstasy pill, Irma, convinced she was going to die, asked two friends at the party to tell her family goodbye and that she loved them.

Irma pleaded for water and fresh air, grew dizzy and stopped talking, moaned all night and sometimes screamed, officers testified. Several of the teens suggested calling for medical help, but none would summon an adult. Three adults were home at the time, but didn't appear to notice what was happening downstairs.

To help their friend, the girls gave Irma a bath and offered her bread, water, Advil and marijuana.

If the girl had received timely care, "there's a significant likelihood she'd be alive today," said Dr. K. Leslie Avery, who later treated Irma at Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford.

The 17-year-old is the only one of five people charged in connection with Irma's death who hasn't yet reached a plea agreement. The teenager's lawyer, Vincent O'Malley, said it was unfair for the district attorney to single out his client for the manslaughter charge.

kpropain
09-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Damn that is fucking sad..

Distorty
09-07-2004, 12:08 AM
Instead of trying to force kids NOT to take drugs like ecstasy, the authorites should be encouraging and teaching education about what to do if someone does encounter a problem, most of the time when someone dies from ecstasy its because of ignorance.

Vodstok
09-07-2004, 05:43 AM
We cant get the government/bible belt to understand that video games dont cause violent behavior and premarital sex wont kill people, how the fuck do you think we are going to get them to educate people on proper drug use and how to help someone who OD's?
i imagine their policy is "let the little fuckers die. They wonmt do it again, and maybe their freinds will get the hint....."

Lucid Dreams
09-08-2004, 12:42 PM
i'll do almost anything...but x is just fucked, ....x and heroin is a NOOOOOO 4 me....not 2 mention 1 of my friends have been taking it every day during school

MichaelMyers
09-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Distorty
Instead of trying to force kids NOT to take drugs like ecstasy, the authorites should be encouraging and teaching education about what to do if someone does encounter a problem, most of the time when someone dies from ecstasy its because of ignorance.

I agree. Telling them not to will just make them want to do it more. Reverse psychology and shit.

Distorty
09-08-2004, 07:47 PM
My point wasnt educate them on HOW to take drugs, but educate them on what to do if something bad does go wrong.
because in my experiences alot of people still think Ambulance people will squeal to the police, which is wrong.

TheHitchiker
09-15-2004, 02:00 PM
I've never quite understood drugs.... except for booze and cigerettes.