PDA

View Full Version : Body Mistaken For Sex Doll

bloodrayne
08-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Witness Saw 'Blown-Up Sex Doll'

Three days after an army colonel caught a glimpse of what he thought was a "blown-up sex doll" in the boot of car, police found the body of a woman in the boot of the same car.

Col Brian Plaatjies, a senior military judge in the South African National Defence Force, was testifying in the trial of Dhiraj Singh charged with the murder of his estranged wife Ishana Singh.

The State alleges Singh strangled Ishana and dumped her body in the boot of her car.

And during the lunch adjournment yesterday, a relative of Singh's was arrested for allegedly intimidating a witness.

Earlier yesterday, the Durban High Court heard evidence from Plaatjies that he had tried to jump-start Ishana's car in a bid to help Singh.

Plaatjies told the court that Singh asked him for help and that when Singh opened the boot, he caught a glimpse of what was inside. Plaatjies said at the time he though it was a blown-up sex doll.

He told the court that on September 12, 2001, he had gone to the Crow's Nest in Durban North for supper.

Plaatjies said he had ordered a drink and was soon approached by Singh who asked him to help restart his car.

The car was parked above the restaurant in the roof-top parking of the Glenashley Spar.

He said they could not start the car and he noticed that the car had been modified and that there was a wheelchair in the back seat.

Plaatjies said Singh told him that his wife was handicapped and that it was her car.

Ishana, a policewoman with the South African Police Service was a paraplegic as a result of a shooting incident allegedly involving Singh.

Singh has also been charged with two counts of attempted murder relating to the shooting incident which left Ishana paralysed.

Her brother, Ishanth Maharaj who alleged Singh also shot him, escaped unhurt.

Plaatjies said as he walked around the rear of the car, Singh opened the boot and put the jumper cables in.

"At that point I caught a brief glimpse of what I thought was a pumped-up sex doll. It had long dark hair and was clothed," he said.

When the car refused to start, Singh asked Plaatjies for a lift home which was only 10 minutes away. On the way to Singh's house, Plaatjies jokingly said to him, "Hey bro, what's up with the sex doll?"

He said Singh smiled and replied that it was a mannequin.
During cross-examination, Singh's counsel, advocate Des Parmanand said on Singh's version he admitted to having been with Ishana on that day.

He said in fact they had been drinking vodka and they fell asleep. Singh said he had been having nightmares and when he awoke Ishana was dead.

He then went down to the Crow's Nest where he met Plaatjies whom he told "I think I killed my wife".

Singh said Plaatjies went with him to the roof where he confirmed that Ishana was dead.

In response to Singh's version, Plaatjies denied having knowledge of Ishana's death or of helping Singh leave Durban.