PDA

View Full Version : Shudder

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 12:58 PM
Free 60 day beta trail of Shudder starts today!

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 01:00 PM
...aaaand, there doesn't seem to be a way to search using keywords/titles/

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Ah, under FAQ 'its in development.'

Roiffalo
06-29-2015, 03:41 PM
Do you mean https://www.shudder.com/ ?
It doesn't even look like it's up and running yet ::confused::

DeadbeatAtDawn
06-29-2015, 03:51 PM
I'm on there too!

Username; woodenheart. : )

Check out ShudderTV when you have a chance.

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Do you mean https://www.shudder.com/ ?
It doesn't even look like it's up and running yet ::confused::

Yeah, works for me. Maybe 'cause I get an invite for a 60 day free beta thing?
Shrug.

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm on there too!

Username; woodenheart. : )

Check out ShudderTV when you have a chance.

Mines Warmingrails. Can't figureout how to add people to any sort of 'friends' group.

Giganticface
06-29-2015, 08:01 PM
Once you sign up, it takes a few days to get your invite, and then you have to keep using that special link from the email to get in, which is annoying.

I know the website is in beta, but it could use a lot of work. A lot of stuff is not functional or buggy (Android app link doesn't work on mobile, History doesn't save what you watched, or sometimes it all gets deleted). The usability is pretty bad in some ways (for instance, after paging through several pages in the Browse list, then selecting an item, then if you go back to Browse, it doesn't remember where you left off, and you have to page through all over again from the beginning).

Some of the look and feel is pretty cool, like the art and quotes at the bottom of each page. Some of it just looks like they're trying too hard, or is distracting. I'm not a huge fan of their ten thousand "Collections", each with like 6 movies in it. But it's fun to explore.

At any rate, the most important thing is content, and the ability to play it. The content is pretty good. Better than Screambox (https://www.screambox.com) (which I developed). Playback on the web is not bad, but not having a mobile or Roku app is inconvenient. I used a Chrome browser on my laptop to cast to my Chromecast on my TV and it worked pretty well.

I think this service has a lot of promise, given AMC's track record and name recognition. I'd rather Screambox succeed since I played a big part in it (although I don't get any ongoing benefits other that pride in my work and a free account). In the end though, I just want to watch horror movies, and Shudder might be a good way to supplement that.

TheBossInTheWall
06-29-2015, 11:09 PM
So far its working fine for me. I do not need an email link to log in. Though I allow it to keep me logged in/not signing out. I believe they stated that its not ready for mobile items yet. They're working on it.

Roiffalo
06-30-2015, 01:59 AM
Once you sign up, it takes a few days to get your invite, and then you have to keep using that special link from the email to get in, which is annoying.
Thank you much. Details in the first post would have been nice.

I'll have to look into this tomorrow or so.

-

EDIT: since Giganticface mentioned it takes a few days to get an invite, I decide to send my email in quick now before bed...

...Well this is unsettling.

Giganticface
06-30-2015, 07:52 AM
While you're at it, try a free 30-day trial of screambox.com (https://www.screambox.com) ! (Especially if you have a Roku.)

::smile::

TheBossInTheWall
06-30-2015, 08:25 AM
While you're at it, try a free 30-day trial of screambox.com (https://www.screambox.com) ! (Especially if you have a Roku.)

::smile::

Done. Ty for mentioning.

Also do you know if they take requests for movies? Still unable to find My Engine's Fragile Sound besides Amazon.

TheBossInTheWall
06-30-2015, 08:26 AM
Thank you much. Details in the first post would have been nice.

I was a bit over excited, understandably. :) Besides there's always google ya lazy fuck.(said in a friendly tone)

Roiffalo
06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
I was a bit over excited, understandably. :) Besides there's always google ya lazy fuck.(said in a friendly tone)

Hey give me some credit! I actually did Google somewhat before I made my first post. ::big grin::
I wasn't entirely sure about how one got an invite and what not so I still came out feeling confused.

Giganticface
06-30-2015, 06:03 PM
Done. Ty for mentioning.

Also do you know if they take requests for movies? Still unable to find My Engine's Fragile Sound besides Amazon.

Yeah, they field requests through their Contact email (https://www.screambox.com/contact). For instance, they didn't have much classic stuff (still don't), but they added Night of the Living Dead and Phantom of the Opera after receiving some requests for more classics.

In the end, it's all about licensing costs, so truth be told, there's not a huge chance they'll get what you ask for, but it doesn't hurt to ask, and they want to know how to improve their service.

Giganticface
01-18-2016, 01:24 PM
Okay, I'm officially done with Shudder. After my beta trial expired, I wasn't able to view movies anymore. I tried the website, Roku and Android. So I just figured the subscription was expired, and I was fine with that.

Well, it turns out I've been getting billed every month, even though when I log in it says I need a subscription! I contacted support and they only refunded two months. They seemed to not really even read my original request, and basically said I should have known I was going to get billed.

They also said that they don't support subscriptions across platforms, so even if I could use a subscription on the website, I wouldn't be able to watch on Roku or Android without getting separate subscriptions for each. That seems weird, and pretty bad.

Oh well, it's too bad because they have more quality content than Screambox. But at least Screambox shares the subscription across platforms (and now is on Xbox and PlayStation too).

I don't mean to dog on them too much. I know what it's like to be on their side of the coin, handling all kinds of ridiculous support cases. But in my case I think they really blew it. ::sad::

Morningriser
01-18-2016, 01:45 PM
Dont support devices my ass! I saw an ad yesterday or day before about how you can use Shudder on PS3 and PS4 now. I never was that interested in Shudder as I figured it was all just films so bad nowhere else would show them.

Roiffalo
01-18-2016, 08:00 PM
Glad I didn't try mine free trial now... Hesitant to ever start it (unless it was timed between certain dates then it surely expired by now anyway).

Giganticface
01-18-2016, 11:11 PM
Dont support devices my ass! I saw an ad yesterday or day before about how you can use Shudder on PS3 and PS4 now. I never was that interested in Shudder as I figured it was all just films so bad nowhere else would show them.

They support different devices, but according to the support guy, the subscription is not shared across devices. So if you want to use it on both Roku and PS4 for instance, you'd need to buy two subscriptions.

That seems kinda weird to me, and I'm not sure I believe him.

Morningriser
01-19-2016, 07:12 AM
They support different devices, but according to the support guy, the subscription is not shared across devices. So if you want to use it on both Roku and PS4 for instance, you'd need to buy two subscriptions.

That seems kinda weird to me, and I'm not sure I believe him.

well thats fucking stupid. Sounds like these assholes are just a low level scam group. I bet the movies they stream arent even worth a shit anyway.

Jake.Ashworth
01-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Mine works on My Samsung TV, Roku, and Chrome. I haven't had any trouble. The selection is improving drastically also. Its cheap as shit too, lol.