PDA

View Full Version : The Change

The Villain
09-03-2011, 05:11 AM
Here's a short story i wrote about a year ago. It probably still needs some editing but i thought i would post it and see what you all thought:

The Change

The man struggled against the chains but there was no breaking them, even with the strength he possessed they wouldn’t budge. Currently two chains were hooked around the man’s wrists and ankles, held together by a large steel buckle. The chains trailed back to a stone wall behind him where they were fastened tightly. He wore a matching collar that was latched so tightly around his neck it had cut into him during his struggles. Blood trickled down his neck onto his naked body. Normally the man would be embarrassed being completely naked in front of another man, but given his current predicament, his nudity was the furthest thing from his mind.

The man in the room with him stood just out of reach off the chain; the chained man knew this because he had tried on numerous occasions, to no avail of course, to reach the man to inflict unbearable amounts of pain and torture. The man only laughed at his efforts seeming only amused at his attempts.

‘What is wrong with him, why is he doing this?” The chained man thought and a whimper escaped his lips. His captor looked up at him at this. Before he hadn’t been paying much attention. In fact he seemed bored. The truth was, he was bored. He had been doing this for a long time, and lately it dragged on.

“Something wrong Arthur?” The man asked.

“Why are you doing this to me?” Arthur cried and struggled against his chains. All it brought him was more pain and fresh blood pouring down from his neck. His wrists and ankles were also bleeding now. They weren’t latched as tightly as his neck, but his frantic flailing had caused his bounds to dig into his flesh.

“Don’t act like you don’t know.” The man said still sounding bored.

“LET ME GO!” Arthur screamed suddenly. The man’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Arthur, calm down young man. There’s no reason for you to throw such a temper tantrum.”

Arthur stared at him in shock. A temper tantrum? Had he really just said that?

“You don’t understand. You don’t know what’s going to happen!” Arthur screamed. He didn’t like the man standing in front of him, in fact he hated him more and more as time went by, but that didn’t mean he was just going to let him be massacred. The man smiled and for the first time didn’t look bored.

“Oh, you mean when you change into a werewolf?” He asked. Arthur
stopped struggling and went silent. He stared at the large, burly man in front of him.

“What did you say?” He asked weakly. The man laughed.

“I said when you change into a werewolf, a lycanthrope, a wolf-man, whatever term you prefer.”

“How do you…”

“How do I what? Know about werewolves? Know that you are one of the filthy mongrels? Let’s just say that I’m an expert on the subject, and I’ve been watching you for quite some time, quite some time indeed.” The man said.

“You’ve been watching me?” Arthur asked. His fear was starting to build intensely; he couldn’t believe this man knew what he was.

“Yes, I’ve been watching you. I watched as you changed and ran rampant around town. I watched as you ripped that poor young girl to shreds, I watched as you bit that man’s head clean off. I was even there when you were attacked in the woods and bitten by that beast that started all this. In fact I was what scared the animal away. I even killed it. If it wasn’t for me you would be dead already. Although I guess you shouldn’t be thanking me or anything, considering I’m going to kill you in few minutes.” The man said and laughed heartily.

Arthur didn’t know what to say, his head was spinning. He felt dizzy and sick. His stomach was turning, and he thought he would vomit at any moment. Those were actually normal signs of his change approaching, but this time he would’ve bet money on it having nothing to do with the change at all. This man knew about him being bitten, he knew about the time he had changed last month, the first time he had transformed since being attacked. He had no idea what had been happening to him but after that night, it was like it was all clear to him. He remembered everything he did. The things the man had said he did, but he remembered other things as well, horrible disgusting things, things too terrible to mention. After that night, he knew what he was, he was a werewolf.

Arthur looked up at his captor and, for the first time, really looked at him. He was large man, tall and muscular. He had a big black beard that covered most of his red face. He had long unkempt black hair and beady eyes. His hands were massive as were his arms and legs. The sight of him was intimidating. He looked like a beast himself. Another thing he noticed, that he couldn’t believe he didn’t think about until now, was that he was draped in what appeared to be a fur coat. But it was ragged wild thick fur, not the kind of fur that any animal he knew wore. The closest thing it resembled was a wolf’s pelt. At that moment, Arthur knew what it was; this man was wearing a coat made from a werewolf’s hide. Arthur didn’t even know how that was possible, surely when a werewolf was killed, it transformed back into a human didn’t it? Had this giant of a man actually skinned a werewolf alive and returned from that ordeal unscathed? Arthur didn’t think it possible, but then he noticed another thing. Around the man’s neck was a large necklace, it was made of rope and stringed along it were the largest teeth Arthur had ever seen. He knew them to be werewolf teeth.

“Who are you?”

The man smiled.

“My name is Isaiah Huntington. I’m sure you’ve figured it out by now—judging by that mad look in your eyes—but I am a werewolf hunter, have been for quite some time now, and I must say that I am very good. Very good indeed.”

A werewolf hunter? Arthur couldn’t believe it. He had only just gotten used to the idea that there were really werewolves in the world, and he was only just starting to get used to the idea that he was one. Now he had to actually try and comprehend the idea that there were not only horror movie monsters in existence in the real world, but that there were actually men who dedicated their lives to hunting them down?

“Why didn’t you save me? If you’re this great big hunter, why didn’t you stop that creature from biting me, or why didn’t you stop me before I killed all those people? Why did you let that happen?” Arthur screamed. There were tears flowing from his eyes now. The memories of being attacked by the monster and ripping through peoples flesh himself flashed through his mind. Isaiah just smiled.

“Well my professional answer to your first question would be that that particular werewolf got away from me, and I must say that I was unfortunately too late to stop it and for the second, well I lost sight of you and couldn’t find you until now.” Isaiah stopped and smiled at Arthur again; a chill ran up his spine.

“But if I was to be honest and answer personally, I would tell you that I let that beast bite you, and I let you ravage all those people” Isaiah looked Arthur dead in the eyes as he said this, and Arthur could feel a blackness pouring out of the man, a soulless evil worse than any werewolf or mythical beast.

“Why would you do that?” Arthur asked.

“Well that’s easy Arthur, because hunting werewolves is fun, but looking all over the world for them isn’t. So every once in awhile I let the things bite an unlucky person and then chase it away before it can devour them whole. This way I can continue my little game. You see I don’t do this because of some moral quandary. I wish I could tell you that I have some personal vendetta against werewolves—like they had massacred my family or something—but in truthfulness, I just like hunting them and killing them.” Arthur couldn’t believe what he was hearing, this man was pure evil.

“Why let me kill all those people then, why not just hunt me down and kill me the first time I changed, why let all those people suffer?” Arthur screamed.

“Well that’s easy now isn’t it, come on Arthur I bet if you just think about it for a moment, you could come up with an answer to that one.”

“TELL ME!” Arthur screamed. Isaiah laughed.

“No need to get so testy Arthur. I’ll tell you. You see, I let you kill those people so that I could have a moral excuse to do what I do. Even though I don’t need one, even though no one would ever ask me to give them one—I mean, who would really make me justify killing such a creature as a werewolf—I still like to be able to say that I am ridding the world of a killing machine that had murdered families and children.”

“You really expect me to believe that you have a conscience?” Arthur asked.

“Oh no, come now Arthur, of course not. I have no conscience. If I did, I would never let those people die. You see, I just like to pretend like I do, for good faith or whatever. But that doesn’t matter. What matters is that in a few seconds you are going to transform into a snarling mangy beast, and I’m going to kill you. So I suggest you sit back and get comfortable. Well, as much as you can.” Isaiah said and laughed sadistically.

Arthur leaped forward with all of his strength, going right for Isaiah’s throat.

“YOU BASTARD!” He screamed. The chains and collar held him back but he was very close to the large man. Close enough that he could smell the musky stench that poured off of him. It was disgusting, and bile rose up in Arthur’s throat. Even though there was no way he was going to break from the chains, he still pulled with all of his might. Isaiah just stood there and laughed, he didn’t back away or even flinch when Arthur jumped at him.

“That’s it Arthur, let it out, don’t hold back.”

The Villain
09-03-2011, 05:11 AM
“I’ll kill you; I’m gonna fucking kill you!” Arthur screeched. His eyes were blood red, and his veins stood out on his body.

“You may think that, my boy, but it will be me who ends you.” Isaiah said and now he did back up, but it wasn’t because he feared Arthur would get to him; it was because in all of his time as a werewolf hunter, Isaiah could tell when the change was about to take place, sometimes even before the infected person. Just then like clockwork, Arthur let out the most inhuman scream ever.

“That’s it.” Isaiah said.

Arthur fell back and down onto his knees. His body shook and his hands clenched into fists. He shook violently and then arched his head back and screamed again. As he did, his teeth started popping out one by one in rapid succession. In their place grew hideously long canines sharper than any blade. His mouth began to extend out, and his face began to grow pointed. His nose split into two as his face grew and transformed into a snout. His eyes squeezed tightly down in pain.

Just like his teeth, his fingernails and toenails began shooting off, and long claws ripped through his skin growing in their place. His hands and feet began to expand, ripping his flesh and snapping his bones. His legs snapped and buckled, and he fell down to his hands. His spine began to flex and stretch inside his skin and then ripped through his back as his wolf body began to form. His torso stretched out like he was being pulled in separate directions, and finally, the fur began to form. It appeared all over his body like a demonic weed. The hair on his head grew long and wooly, and soon his whole body was covered in a thick coat of fur. His body continued to grow, and his muscles began expanding. His head rocked back and forth and pulsated like an alien creature was trying to escape. His ears stretched back into a pointed shape, and finally, the transformation was complete. Arthur’s blue eyes which had been shut tightly suddenly shot open, but now they were as dark as a moonless night. The wolf arched its head back and howled loudly into the empty basement room.

When its call was finished, it remained prone on the ground, breathing deeply for a moment, but then it sniffed something in the air. Its head shot up and noticed Isaiah standing there, immediately it struck out at him with lightning quick speed. It came closer then Arthur did, but still, the chains held back. The wrist and ankle cuffs now cut viciously into the wolf’s skin and the collar was so tight, it almost decapitated the beast. If it had been silver, it would have done just that.

That would have been an easy way to kill the monster, but Isaiah didn’t want things to be easy. If that was what he was going for, he wouldn’t have chosen to be a werewolf hunter in the first place. Although it had become pretty easy lately. It had become boring in fact. Isaiah stared at the monstrous beast desperately trying to reach him. It bit at him and thrashed with its claws. The paws that still remained on the ground slid helplessly against the stone floor as it tried with all its might to break the chains and reach the hunter.

Isaiah yawned. There was no fear in him. He had been hunting for a long time and he knew the creatures’ boundaries, especially one in such a weak human like Arthur. Something he had figured out early on was the stronger the human, the stronger the beast. It wasn’t just physical strength either, the true strength rested in the heart and in the soul. Those who were strong willed and minded made the deadliest werewolves and it was those that Isaiah loved to hunt. Truthfully he yearned for the day where he could really be tested; hunt a wolf that was in a strong caliber of a man. Not an elementary school teacher like poor pathetic Arthur. A single man who was shy around everyone, including those he was friends with. A man who let little kids push him around during class and who was too afraid to come out of the closet and announce to the world that he was a homosexual. Isaiah had been watching him for a long time and knew many things about him. It was how he sized up the wolf.

“Figures I end up with the fucking fag wolf.” Isaiah laughed, and he whipped his fur coat aside with a swift motion. He had taken the coat from a particularly fat werewolf by cutting it with a regular blade. It did nothing to the beast’s skin but it did however allow him to remove the fur without it turning back to human. It had been extremely dangerous and had taken him a really long time to do it, but it had been worth it. From inside his now open coat, Isaiah pulled out an extremely long silver blade that he had carefully crafted. He held it at his side for a moment and stared at the snarling wolf in front of him, feeling no fear whatsoever.

“Goodbye Arthur.” He said quietly, and then quickly he thrust the blade up into the werewolf’s stomach. The wolf howled and screamed out in pain, but Isaiah held firmly and thrust up further with all of his strength until it ripped out of the wolf’s back. The wolf howled again and swiped viciously at Isaiah. He shook it back and forth shaking it violently and he pushed it back and forth cutting into the beast. Finally the werewolf began to fade, and it stopped slashing the air. Its eyes closed, and it collapsed to ground with a whimper just as Isaiah pulled out his sword spilling the demon’s black blood all over the floor.

The wolf was dead, and slowly, it began to change back into the meager human it had once been, but before the head could change, Isaiah slammed the sword down with intense force onto the wolf’s neck severing the head. If he had killed the monster that way, the head would have changed back into Arthur’s regardless but since he had done it post death, it would remain a wolf. Isaiah didn’t understand why that was so, but he didn’t care as long as he had his prize. It was how he had gained the teeth he wore proudly around his neck. As good as Isaiah was, there would have been no possible way to remove those from a live lycan.

But Isaiah had no use for teeth anymore, he hadn’t in awhile. Now he only wanted the head to add to his collection. He reached behind him and grabbed a sack. He opened it up and tossed the head inside. He left the bag sitting on the ground and looked at the headless body. Its retransformation was almost complete, and instead of a mighty beast lying dead on the floor, it would just be poor, gay Arthur.

Isaiah scoffed and shook his head. The werewolf was dead, and Arthur hadn’t infected anyone. He knew it should have let him, but Arthur had been a vicious beast. He barely gave anyone the chance to survive when he tore through them. Isaiah knew there would be others, but he would have to hunt them down, and that took work. What he knew now was that the fun part was over and now all there was left was clean up.

He hated clean up.

leezuki
09-03-2011, 09:12 AM
good story i liked it,u got alot of short stories ?

The Villain
09-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks. I don't write them much since usually i'm working on a novel. But lately i've been thinking of writing more short stories.

leezuki
09-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks. I don't write them much since usually i'm working on a novel. But lately i've been thinking of writing more short stories.

alot of the time i actually prefer short stories.

The Villain
09-03-2011, 09:51 AM
I was actually planning on writing a whole bunch in my spare time for a short story collection i want to do. Unfortunately lately i dont have much spare time.

leezuki
09-03-2011, 10:24 AM
[QUOTE=The Villain;902964]I was actually planning on writing a whole bunch in my spare time for a short story collection i want to do. Unfortunately lately i dont have much spare time.[/QUOTE

just let them bulid up like this one, then one day u will have plenty ;)

The Villain
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Anybody else wanna give it a read and let me know what you thought?

neverending
09-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Interesting premise, and it plays out well. Good twist on a werewolf tale. I like it. The description of the transformation is well done.

One thing that didn't ring true for me was the description of how he removed the fur from a werewolf. If you cut the fur from the skin of an animal and leave the skin, all you're doing is giving it a haircut. You won't have a pelt you can wear. You can counter that with "well, it's a magical beast, it works differently for magical beasts." But you didn't say that, and as a reader, that didn't work for me.

And as you stated at the beginning- it really does need a couple more goings over. Your punctuation is pretty bad. There are a lot of missing commas and you tend to put a comma at the end of a sentence and add on a clause that would actually work better as a separate sentence. There are a few other punctuation and spelling errors as well.

Good effort overall, it deserves to be finished off.

The Villain
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Interesting premise, and it plays out well. Good twist on a werewolf tale. I like it. The description of the transformation is well done.

One thing that didn't ring true for me was the description of how he removed the fur from a werewolf. If you cut the fur from the skin of an animal and leave the skin, all you're doing is giving it a haircut. You won't have a pelt you can wear. You can counter that with "well, it's a magical beast, it works differently for magical beasts." But you didn't say that, and as a reader, that didn't work for me.

And as you stated at the beginning- it really does need a couple more goings over. Your punctuation is pretty bad. There are a lot of missing commas and you tend to put a comma at the end of a sentence and add on a clause that would actually work better as a separate sentence. There are a few other punctuation and spelling errors as well.

Good effort overall, it deserves to be finished off.

Thank you.

With the pelt thing, i really have no idea how people make fur coats and stuff so i was pretty much bullshitting there. My punctuation and grammar are definitely my biggest problem when i write. I've always had a problem with it.

I'm glad you liked the transformation scene, i was proud of that.

I actually came up with a novel idea from this which usually happens whenever i write a short story so maybe one day i'll be able to finish this.

Thanks for taking the time to read and your comments and advice.

leezuki
09-08-2011, 11:06 AM
i can tell u two are well into your writing, when i read the story i dint notice any mistakes until you mentioned it. but my writing is so bad anyway.

Fearonsarms
10-07-2011, 11:21 AM
It kept my attention which is a big plus and I really enjoyed the idea you explored in it. A Very pleasant to read-cheers :)

hammerfan
10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Villain, I don't know how I missed this! I really liked your story!

The Villain
10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
It kept my attention which is a big plus and I really enjoyed the idea you explored in it. A Very pleasant to read-cheers :)

Villain, I don't know how I missed this! I really liked your story!

Thank you both!

I really appreciate the feedback. Lately i've found it really hard to write and i havent even been able to edit the novel i just finished so it really means alot that you liked it. Hopefully ill be able to write some more soon.