PDA

View Full Version : the new york ripper

boyfoundslain
10-05-2009, 06:51 AM
I just got this in the mail today on bluray. I'd never seen it before so i can't compare how good the video/audio is compared to dvd releases, but it does look good. Everything is clear and hardly any graininess to it, the sound seemed good to, but i don't have external speakers, only my tv.

My thoughts on the film though, i didn't know it existed till about a week ago when i saw it on the new releases on amazon, and im a huge fan of fulci so i immediately ordered it. After doing some research and seeing that the general consensus was that this is to be considered his most savage and violent film i was expecting quite a bit. The deaths in the movie are a bit gruesome, the razor blade scene comes to mind, but i didn't think it was as violent as 'zombi 2' , 'city of the living dead' or 'the beyond.' Overall the film was pretty good, there's some parts in the story that didn't make sense, so i'll have to go back and watch it a second time.

I also noticed that the dialogue is really anti-feminist, the girl on the bike and the guy yelling at her to stay in the kitchen, etc. Also pretty much every girl portrayed in the movie as a whore of some sort. Me personally, i don't really care cause it's just a movie. I bring this up though because it's pretty well known that most people say fulci hated women, doesn't really matter to me either way. There's an interview on the extras though and the actress, can't remember her name, brings it up and says that fulci wasn't a hater of women but just the world in general, interesting.

Ferox13
10-05-2009, 07:00 AM
There's an interview on the extras though and the actress, can't remember her name, brings it up and says that fulci wasn't a hater of women but just the world in general, interesting.

I wouldn't believe the word of a woman who can't remember her own name.

Its also well know that he does the 'Monkey brain' scene from Faces of Death with an extra at the wrap party of every movie she shoots as some sort of good luck ritual.

boyfoundslain
10-05-2009, 07:04 AM
ha, no. I can't remember her name, not the actress.