PDA

View Full Version : Toys remembered...

cheebacheeba
08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
I never had a shitload of toys, but I did alright.
I remember having a lot of water pistols, and things that shot rubber darts.

Had a few transformers, and a fair few he-mans. I liked those, but not especially.
I had one he-man badguy that had a button on his back, and it looked like blood was pumping through his chest when you pressed it. The He-man I had, you put ring caps in it, and when you twisted his torso one way and let go in a "punch" motion, the cap would go off. It was great.

Another couple of things I really liked were seldom purchased at toy stores.
Sometimes you'd get 'em in bubblegum dispenser type machines - the sticky slapping hand things, or the "pop" cap type dealys that bounced.
You could get these other things usually at fairs/fates/carnivals, you could get them as prizes usually - a little guy you threw up in the air and he came down in a parachute. Loved 'em.
There was also the little thing you held, pulled the rip cord, and it would launch a flying propeller with a ring around it? I remember removing that ring and firing it towards people, it cut this one kids face.

Aside from lego/mechano, which are a given cool thing to play with, I really liked a couple of toy like things I had...more like electronics, but hey.
One was called the "Armatron" from radio shack - Did anyone here ever play with one of these? You could only really pick shit up and move it around but I felt like it took some skill to master and it was a really enjoyable thing to use.

Another thing I had, and I can't for the life of me remember the name or what exactly it looked like, but it was a remote control robot. No moving limbs or anything it was a little rolling thing on tank type tracks, bit like R2D2 kinda thing but smaller and I seem to recall it having a dark see-thru plastic type dome head. Pretty small, could fit under a standard bucket.
The thing about this robot was, well the cool thing I thought, was that you could also speak into the remote control similar to a walkie talkie, and the robot would speak your words. Any info on what this thing was would be helpful, I would really like to get another, I have no idea where the first one went, although I do recall my grandmother didn't much like some of the things it was saying.

I got one more. I once knew a kid who went on holidays to singapore or somewhere 'round there, and bought back (this is like 18 years ago at least) a plastic ball, a little smaller than a basketball, and yeah, it was a remote controlled ball. It didn't go real fast, but it looked like some great fun...
Anyone ever come across one of these? Do you know where to obtain them?
'Cos yeah I've looked, seems pretty hard.

A few things I always thought looked fun were those glider planes with the wind up rubber band propellers, and of course the model rockets with blast caps, never got around to using either of those.

So toys,
What were your favourites, why?

urgeok2
08-21-2009, 08:02 AM
my all time favorite toys were Major Matt Mason toys ..

maybe Newb will remember them - no one else will.

he was an astronaut guy .. flexible bendy .. with a space helmet and a glider.

there were about 4 guys ,... a green see through alien. a space crawler, a space station, a special suit for 'taking rock samples' a solar tent, and some other stuff.

i frigging loved these toys. recently saw an ebay auction of these - a big lot of everything i just mentioned in unperfect condition and it went for about $500.00 maybe more ... (shamefully - i bid $300.00)

i also had every movie related car there was.

the green hornet
chitty chitty bang bang
james bonds car from goldfinger
batmobile
hatari (john wayne)
yellow submarine (i think .. not sure if it's just a weird memory)

all gone, all worth a fortune.

the only thing i still have is my batman cape from the mid 60's - which adam west signed a couple of years ago

newb
08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
G.I. JOES.......the big ones....I had a ton of them.[ wish I kept them ]

I don't remember Major Matt Mason....maybe that was a Canada thing.

Slinkys

View Master
http://morningglory2.files.wordpress.com/2007/02/rockem-sockem-robots-game.jpg
Rock em Sock em Robots

nice thread Cheebs....bringing me back :D

newb
08-21-2009, 08:26 AM
another toy that I absolutely loved was my "James Bond Attache Case".

http://www.freewebs.com/scaramangasgoldengun/col16.jpg

I would love to find one of these at some vintage toy store.

newb
08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
holy shit....I googled Major Matt Nelson and was shocked ....I did have this toy. I can't believe I forgot about it [ beer does kill brain cells ].

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/448060531_a4bec19eb1.jpg

Freak
08-21-2009, 08:43 AM
I had a ton of G.I. Joes, the small ones.Still have a few laying around somewhere.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

He-Man

Thundercats

Thats all I can think of right now.

bloody_ribcut
08-21-2009, 09:29 AM
i used to have the boombox transformer toy, which is my favorite. i remember the little tape would come out and change into a hawk or something. and it was a cool dark blue.

bunch of g.i. joes, i liked the ninjas so i had obtained snake eyes, slice, and dice.....they kicked asss. oh and my original cobra commander with the first mask...he had a backpack that would say a couple thing, forgot what.

micro machines, a little stage i went through......they looked realistic as a kid and that dude talking fast didnt help.

legos, haha

what else......

a few radio controlled cars, with the wires attatched...ahh yess bringing back the christmas miserys...

had ataris, nintendo, supernintendo, playstation, playstation2,xbox, then xbox 360..

urgeok2
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
holy shit....I googled Major Matt Nelson and was shocked ....I did have this toy. I can't believe I forgot about it [ beer does kill brain cells ].

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/448060531_a4bec19eb1.jpg

wow - i never saw that red alien guy before

Freak
08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
i used to have the boombox transformer toy, which is my favorite. i remember the little tape would come out and change into a hawk or something. and it was a cool dark blue.

bunch of g.i. joes, i liked the ninjas so i had obtained snake eyes, slice, and dice.....they kicked asss. oh and my original cobra commander with the first mask...he had a backpack that would say a couple thing, forgot what.

micro machines, a little stage i went through......they looked realistic as a kid and that dude talking fast didnt help.

legos, haha

what else......

a few radio controlled cars, with the wires attatched...ahh yess bringing back the christmas miserys...

had ataris, nintendo, supernintendo, playstation, playstation2,xbox, then xbox 360..

Man I forgot all about Micromachines.

ferretchucker
08-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I was an action figure guy. I still have so many of them. Mainly marvel superheroes and a good deal of Beast Wars Transformers. My Uncle who lives in America used to regularly give me GI Joes aswell. I preferred them to the English equivalent; Action Man. The GI Joes were more varied and had cooler stuff. I had one with real feeling hair.

Disease
08-21-2009, 11:41 AM
I had some Transformers not many, though I was really into the cartoon, I had a few Robotch figurines as well.....

I had quite a few He-Man, I had Castle Grey Skull and battle cat, an Orko that had a pull cord and he flew around the floor. My He-Man and Skeletor where the battle ones where the chest changed when they got hit, cool idea but it didn't really work that well.

I had a lot of turtle figures, they were the last action figures I got into. I remember their was these figures called Good Guys Bad Guys which me and a friend got really into... They were all pretty bad ass. I had tons of Lego, I really got into the pirate stuff, that was cool.

crabapple
08-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Aha! I did have a Major Matt Mason mini-book. I remember some cool toys. One was a small Spider-Man doll that came with a special tube of "Web Stuff" and an application wand. You would put one drop of the stuff on the end of the wand and touch it to an object, and then move over to another object, and another. It would create webs, strand by strand, all over the room!

Kemal
08-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Any of you remember lawn darts?

So awesome and dangerous they were banned by Congress.

http://techpaul.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/lawndarts.jpg

Geddy
08-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Street Sharks were a pretty big thing when I was growing up. Also, Ninja Turtles, Hot Wheels and Power Rangers were pretty badass.

sfear
08-21-2009, 12:42 PM
another toy that I absolutely loved was my "James Bond Attache Case".

http://www.freewebs.com/scaramangasgoldengun/col16.jpg

I would love to find one of these at some vintage toy store.

I had one of those, still have some of it. Case is broken though. Loved the dagger hidden in the corner.

Had some big G.I. Joes, really liked the German soldier.

And army men, especially the set based on the Gallant Men tv series.

sfear
08-21-2009, 12:45 PM
Any of you remember lawn darts?

So awesome and dangerous they were banned by Congress.

http://techpaul.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/lawndarts.jpg

We had some.

ferretchucker
08-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Come to think of it, most of my games were electronic. In other words, I played a lot of Playstation and Nintendo 64. Oh, and when I was at my cousins we'd play on the Snes!

Posher778
08-21-2009, 01:15 PM
I used to have ALL the Jurassic Park/ The Lost World toys. I would reenact the entire movie. Only in my movie, most of the plot was skipped and everyone usually died.

Disease
08-21-2009, 03:35 PM
Dinoriders was another one I was into, anyone, anyone?

bloody_ribcut
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Dinoriders was another one I was into, anyone, anyone?

what is that?

..and i just remembered voltron

cheebacheeba
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Dino-Riders, yeah I remember those, never had any though I watched the cartoon.
Guys that could like communicate with dinosaurs through electronic means as I recall, they like...rode 'em around with battle gear on them.
Pretty good figures.

Never got any either, but "M.A.S.K" had some of the coolest figures/vehicles I'd ever seen - everyone had a helmet, ha. The vehicles were the shit.

One more I remember that I actually DID have and quite liked, was some big purple blobby ghost thing from "the real ghostbusters" series, it had one big eye, and if you squeezed the creature, the eyeball would shoot out, evil dead style.

bloody_ribcut
08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
dude, m.a.s.k. was awesome.

Elvis_Christ
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
M.A.S.K stuff ruled. I've still got the Venom team black pick up truck one on my shelf. Still got a Knight Rider car too.

I was always a big fan of movie/TV tie in stuff had Karate Kid figures, Rambo, Aliens and a bunch of WWF characters, Masters Of The Universe, Tranformers, G.I Joe. I'd love to have some of that stuff back again but I destroyed most of 'em having wars :D

What were the cars that hand animal claws come out of the tires? Had one of those I loved too.

I remember being pretty big on Star Wars stuff too. Some of the ones I had as a kid must be worth a bit now. But yeh I blew a bunch of shit like that up with fireworks after school.

Loved the realistic looking water pistols/cap guns. Most of them ended up being pulled from the shelves after a bunch of robberies made it onto the news... never got that myself. I be like "Fuck off dude thats a water pistol".

urgeok2
08-24-2009, 05:09 AM
my favorite toys now are a huge pristine set of Titan AE toys i got at a garage sale - plus my Futerama toys (thanks again Newb) and .. my godzillas

urgeok2
08-24-2009, 05:10 AM
oh .. and my Lost in Space saucer ... i love spaceships

psycho d
08-24-2009, 05:17 AM
My favorite toys were a pack of matches and a can of wd40. GI Joe never saw it coming.
d

cheebacheeba
08-24-2009, 05:43 AM
I had Bobby the henchman from the first Burton Batman film.
Melted his face with a lighter, to try make him look like Freddy.
Wish I still had that guy.

...and the Armatron, fuck dammit!

laura android
08-26-2009, 06:22 AM
Popples and Boglins!!!

I also played the hell out of my She-ra toy set that came equipped with castle and horse. My brother had Skeletor's castle so we staged some pretty awesome battles.

My Mom gave our He-man stuff away to a poor family up the road, which is good, but a small part of me still wishes she had kept them :)

urgeok2
08-26-2009, 06:36 AM
Popples and Boglins!!!

I also played the hell out of my She-ra toy set that came equipped with castle and horse. My brother had Skeletor's castle so we staged some pretty awesome battles.

My Mom gave our He-man stuff away to a poor family up the road, which is good, but a small part of me still wishes she had kept them :)

thinking about all the awsome stuff i had as a kid that my parents must have thrown away - i vowed never to do that to my kid.

all of his toys that ne no longer plays with - if they have any pop cultural or potentially emotional-nostalgical significance - i pack them away and put them in storage.

all the other stuff gets donated to the school or thrift stores.

newb
08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
thinking about all the awsome stuff i had as a kid that my parents must have thrown away - i vowed never to do that to my kid.

all of his toys that ne no longer plays with - if they have any pop cultural or potentially emotional-nostalgical significance - i pack them away and put them in storage.

all the other stuff gets donated to the school or thrift stores.

yeah....we most definitely come from the same generation

I packed a bunch of my kids toys away...He-Man...Star Wars...Ninja Turtles.

cheebacheeba
08-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Any word on that remote control ball?
I'd really love to find one, but my searches aren't getting too many results.
All I remember is that it was red, had a hard plastic exterior, and was about 25% smaller than the average basketball.

I'd also love to find the RC rolling robot that I can talk through, but I'd probably be able to find an equivalent if not the original?

One thing I used to do, almost like a toy in itself, was something I learned from another kid.
He used to cut up pieces of metal coathanger, about an inch long, then make a sticky-tape "tube" around one end of it, with just enough distance past the metal to hold a singular ring-cap piece in place. We'd go around throwing them in front of people. Bit of a modification of what used to be referred to as a "throw-down", just a bit more stable.
I changed it, kind of...or took the idea a bit further. Probably due to my love of the other toy, the army guy one where you throw up a soldier and he parachutes? I liked things that fell I guess.
So I started making large cardboard planes, and sticking 3-4 nails on the front of 'em each with the stickytape configuration with ring caps on the end - so you'd throw this big plane up, the nails would weigh it down and ensure the "explosion" when the plane took a nosedive.
I called them "crash planes". One of my teachers pointed out that it was a little morbid, but yknow, back in the day if capguns were allowed there, I wasn't gonna be told not to make crash planes.

While on the caps thing, one time in early highschool, I tried to empty out about 200 of 'em into a folded piece of paper to ignite at a later time, I'd got to around 50-60, and my teacher came over to me to ask what I was doing, I closed the paper over and that was all it took it seemed for them all to ignite. Nobody was hurt but it was a bit unexpected.

Shortly after that, I moved on to making things that went bang? I don't want to say explosives but I guess they might fall into a similar category?
Those soda bulb/whipped cream bulbs, anyone ever throw one into a fire? have it go off?
Most of the time though they'd just spring a leak, but if you put a fuse (usually 2-3 sparklers) against 'em, wrapped tightly in one layer of foil, one layer of electrical tape, one more layer of foil and clear-tape the whole thing, it would almost always ensure the thing blew up. I saw these things take out letterboxes from brick, pop car tyres, break glass, and sometimes fly so damn far up in the air they'd be in the air for about 20 seconds. That said, I wouldn't want to be hit by one...so yeah **don't try this at home** and all.

Elvis_Christ
08-30-2009, 03:52 AM

A lot of mine were passed on to my nephews and cousins. Which was a pity because I'd like a lot of that stuff back. I don't think I minded at the time didn't think of myself wanting them back for nostalgic reasons.

Rotting Zombie
01-11-2012, 09:20 PM
[Thread Necromancy]

I remember I used to have some Resident Evil action figures (The ones made by ToyBiz) when I was younger (About ten). I had Chris, Jill, two zombies, and I think a Tyrant.

TheWickerFan
01-12-2012, 02:32 AM
http://www.collectmad.com/COLLECTIBLES/game1cu.jpg

:(

Fearonsarms
01-16-2012, 07:53 AM
I had a lot of ghostbusters stuff including Marshmallow man and that one monster cheeba mentioned where the eye would pop out on a string.
Some horror themed board games-Atmosfear, Key To The Kingdom memory not good enough to remember others.

I had a lot of WWF action figures, some He-man, thundercats, star wars, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, some cars and vans. Had to give them all over to my nephew who duly broke and or lost them all when I went to college.

fortunato
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Some horror themed board games-Atmosfear

Oh man! I had this game, too. I also had its predecessor, a game called Nightmare, which had a similar VHS component and I believe the same actor playing the Gatekeeper character.

Fearonsarms
01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Oh man! I had this game, too. I also had its predecessor, a game called Nightmare, which had a similar VHS component and I believe the same actor playing the Gatekeeper character.

Wow I had no idea there was a predecessor to it hard to believe now how exciting as a kid it was to play a game with a sychronised video on at the same time-loved the Gatekeeper character we just used to laugh our heads at him and tell him to f-off, he was brill