PDA

View Full Version : Why do we like horror movies?

sleepaway
02-16-2004, 06:48 AM
Been trying to think of a new thread as people are complaining so much that the forum is going to the dogs. But I'll tell ya it's not easy coming up with something new!

So why doesn't everyone tell us why they are a horror fan?

What do you like about horror films that you don't find in other genres?

When did you start getting into horror movies?

I myself was brought up watching all and every type of movie under the sun - it was kind of a 'Dream On' type situation! And I used to record all the late night movies without really knowing what they were and they turned out to be things from the 70's like Carrie and The Fury and Amittyville and Stepford, things that I wouldn't be allowed to rent but got away with recording off the TV and I slowly became to love them and I'd go to the library like a complete geek and look up the cinema horror books and learnt about all the old movies from Universal and stuff and it just grew from that.

I love being scared, it's using emotions that you generally don't get to use on a daily basis unless you are part of The Scooby Gang! Of course now, years later it takes a really special movie to freak me out but I'm happy it still happens, although rarely.

I also loved looking at the effects with the old "How did they do that?" thing and loved finding out how each effect was made and I still find this fascinating and it's maybe why I don't like CGI as a rule as it just doesn't seem so inventive once the programme software is set up.

I also think that Horror movies are extremely inventive and tend to be overlooked even when they are made well. I think there is some marvelous camera work involved in horror movies and the director, if wanting to succeed in scares you have to be inventive in the camera work and lighting and editing and it's a real challenge and I love seeing how new movies try to come up with fresh ideas. Especially new ideas on how to kill someone!

I also thought that it would just be so much fun to work on a horror movie. Well that's how it comes across anyway.

Yada, yada, yada.

Was that too much crap? You guys had better add to this thread after all my effort!

Who's next?

kpropain
02-16-2004, 06:55 AM
Simple, death and gratuitous violence. Used to watch em for the scare effect as a kid but that just doesn't happen anymore, wish it would though, love the natural adrenaline rush.

cheebacheeba
02-16-2004, 07:01 AM
'Cos horror is tha shiznit, biznitch!

Nuff said, Fool!

-B.

:p

cheebacheeba
02-16-2004, 07:05 AM
Other thatn that, I will say that I agree with kprop.
Same reason theme parks exist, how to put this....
We delight in the quasi-endurance of that which we dread?
Fear - One of natures best rushes.

Dreaming Girl
02-16-2004, 07:29 AM
For me... To experience in fantasy what I can't in reality. Obviously I'm going to get in ALOT of trouble (not just with the law, but with my own conscious) if I go out and start maliciously raping, torturing, and killing... but it doesn't change the fact that that dark desire lingers within. So horror/cult/exploitation cinema is an outlet...

There's also the fear factor. I tend to be drawn in a weird sort of way towards that which frightens or repulses me. When I was a kid I would read alot of Stephen King even though it made me feel uncomfortable or scared. Even after staying up all night with the lights on out of fear I would go back and continue reading... To purposefully immerse yourself in fear can only make you stronger I think. Fear is something I still feel, but I also know how to deal with it... Ie; I feel confident that if I'm thrust into a frightening situation I would keep a fairly level head.

Of course, in the end there really is no explaing WHY exactly certain people develop interests in certain things. I just love horror...

Je Suis Phnomne
02-16-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dreaming Girl
For me... To experience in fantasy what I can't in reality. Obviously I'm going to get in ALOT of trouble (not just with the law, but with my own conscious) if I go out and start maliciously raping, torturing, and killing... but it doesn't change the fact that that dark desire lingers within. So horror/cult/exploitation cinema is an outlet...

totally agree with you.

Just once though I want to find a movie that messes you up so bad you actually have to check the backseat of the car before you get in.

in the woods...
02-16-2004, 02:24 PM
i like gory deaths

i like when the chicks scream as they are stabed to death, as the mother in Night of the living dead, i liked that:)

Ritualistic
02-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I am not going to make this long.. I love horror because it is who I am and what I am about.. To love it horror has to be in your blood. \m/

bloodygurl02
02-16-2004, 06:58 PM
i like em cuz most of my friends like the stupid chick flick shit and its to mushy for me i want movies w/ lots of gore and blood. so i watch horror. i also like action movies but i like horror alot i used to hate it but now i can't get enuff of it :D

Sam The Egg
02-16-2004, 07:01 PM
Because, really, it's not that easy to scare people, so for a movie to be able to do that shows a lot of skill, and if the people who made the movie are good enough to make the movie scary, logically, they were good enough to make the movie good. I mean, have you ever heard someone say "It was scary, but not all that good"?

Personally, I like any kind of movie if it's good, regardless of genre.

otis
02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
I really don't know why and when i started watching horror movies. One day i noticed i was just buying horror movies, and thought wow, i watch horror way too much. I think it is because I love the gore. Zombies are the coolest because most of the time they are the goriest.

orangestar
02-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I started (and continue) to watch horror movies from the tiny little adrenaline rushes that you get when something jumps out at you, or when you see some really good effect. I live off adrenaline rusehs, its an addiction now.

I love all movies, except for two genres- I rarely rarely like horror-comedy and I just dont like Action movies.

There isnt really a way to explain to people why movies are my life. Its like my friends say they like movies, or even that they love horror movies. and I just think "You have no idea". The people on this forum are the only people that I really feel know what they are talking about, and know how I feel.

otis
02-16-2004, 07:30 PM
If ya'll are still thinking of a good post, make a poll over fav. monster type. YOu know, zombies, Vampires, werevolves, and so on. I bet that has already been done.

predfan
02-17-2004, 11:58 PM
we get scared without being in any danger ourselves. so its exciting.

coldwhisper
02-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by bloodygurl02
i like em cuz most of my friends like the stupid chick flick shit and its to mushy for me i want movies w/ lots of gore and blood.

true, so true.... plus i love the suspense, the rush!!!

allmykids
02-18-2004, 07:25 AM
WoW that's what i have allways told everyone that asks WHY horror. It's THE RUSH!!!! And for me an outlet for my anger. :eek:

friday13thfan
02-18-2004, 07:31 AM
the site of terror makes you fill good inside

cheebacheeba
02-18-2004, 04:16 PM
And then there's the titties.....gotta love the titties.....

hellfire1
02-18-2004, 04:20 PM
cuz i'm too much of a chickenshit for rollercoasters ! :D

sleepaway
02-19-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by hellfire1
cuz i'm too much of a chickenshit for rollercoasters ! :D

Really? That's surprising. I thought they went hand in had like Joani & Charchi?

Amalthea
02-19-2004, 04:29 AM
I love them for the visual effects and sound effects, and also the endings like in The Others and What Lies Beneath

friday13thfan
02-19-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by cheebacheeba
And then there's the titties.....gotta love the titties.....

:D hell yeah

hellfire1
02-19-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by sleepaway
Really? That's surprising. I thought they went hand in had like Joani & Charchi?

lol !
not for me they don't ! probably just me, but i don't appreciate the feeling that i'm plummeting to my doom, or that i'm going to see my lunch again...:o

Leslie Daher
02-19-2004, 09:58 AM
i like to feel scared.