PDA

View Full Version : English Only

Rotting Eye
02-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Here's another topic, with the same rules as the others. Except here's a new one: I want this to be a debate, not a name calling, death threat session. Not that I'm pointing anyone out, I just want to clarify. Actually, let me be honost. That was directed at VampRocker. Let's please try to keep the childishness to a minimum.

Pro English only
-Force people to learn English, giving people more opportunities.
-Would save money on printing multi-lingual documents.

Con English only
-Some argue this causes culture to be lost.
-Some think English only is a form of discrimination.

Some websites for research, if anyone wants to educate themselves. There's a lot more if you go to a search and type in "english only debate."
U.S. English (supports English only) (http://www.usenglish.org/)
Robert D. King's essay (anti-English only) (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/97apr/english.htm)

Of course there are many more pros, cons, and websites. I just wasn't sure how well versed people are in this subject, so I thought I'd give them some help.

Arioch
02-15-2004, 01:39 AM
Let me be the first, and probably only, to state i know NOTHING about this debate. And let that fall on my opinion if need be, but i think we would loose a bit of culture if we forced people to speak english. But i really havent researched this at all and its not exactly an issue im passionate about.

kpropain
02-15-2004, 01:49 AM
Stick to English people please, one fucking language is enough,not to knock on anyones culture or anything cause I'm not about that at all.And I think if you move here from another country and want citizenship it should be a requirement to learn English.

Machine King
02-15-2004, 02:51 AM
Let me start off by saying I have no problem with speaking their own language. However I think learning how to speak English should be a requirement for becoming a citizin of the US. It isn't a discrimation thing, it means that things will become easier/safer for everyone. If foreigners don't learn English then how will they blend in with the rest of the community?

Haunted
02-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Let me be the one to say that I don't know how I feel about this. I totally understand why people would say, "English only." It makes perfect sense. However, I wonder at the enrichment of a culture that is bilingual.

I don't know, so I'm going to read the opinions that you guys have. Maybe you can help me sort out my brain.

sleepaway
02-15-2004, 06:25 AM
I wish we were all brought up speaking many different languages and taught to do so at an early age. But I do agree that if you want to live in a country where the dominant language spoken is indeed English then it is at the very least polite to learn it.

allmykids
02-15-2004, 06:46 AM
If I go to another country to live I think i should have to learn there language. I think it's nuts to say it discrimation to have people have to learn english to live in the us. that is the language of my country. If you don't want to learn it then go back to your own country and speak your language. I know this sounds like i am attacking here but i am not, i'm just not great with words.

bloodrayne
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
Let me be the first, and probably only, to state I know NOTHING about this debate. And let that fall on my opinion if need be, but I think we would lose a bit of culture if we forced people to speak english. But I really haven't researched this at all and its not exactly an issue I'm passionate about.

Same here...But, I still think it would make things much easier if we all spoke English...It isn't like you would forget your original language, so no loss of culture...

There are many requirements for citizenship in this country, I don't believe that learning to speak English would be too much to add, it would also greatly benefit the new citizen:)

fluffho
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
this is a common topic for college papers

i chose FOR ENGLISH ONLY

-canada is bilingual and spends 400 million a year on bilingual text

-what happens when a foreigner calls 911. does that mean we need to have 911 operators of all languages then? you know how complicated that would be

-so lets say we, like canada, choose to be bilingual. obviously, we would pick spanish. so what about the other languages?

-africa itself has how many languages? do we provide for them as well?

-we already provide spanish material, yet do we provide mandarin? tagalog? german? nope. so are we implyiing that mexicans are too stupid to learn english?

-so how about the constitution, codes of the laws and shit. how are people to understand the law when they cant read it

-people fear that if their children were to learn english, that they would lose their culture. well tell me this, what would u prefer, your child to learn english and succeed in school and life? or to keep their 'culture' and remain at the bottom rungs of social society.

-language is NOT culture, but just a SINGLE aspect of it.

sorry its so jumbled. but those are some of the arguments i have

Ritualistic
02-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Living in a coutry which is multi-cultural is great.. BUT I work with people everyday that doesnt speak a bit of english and it truely pisses me the fuck off. I mean a lot of european countries hate that english people come there and dont speak their language so us North Americans have the right to get pissed off as well. I think before you work & become a citizen of this country you should learn English. That is my opinion.... \m/

orangestar
02-15-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by fluffho
this is a common topic for college papers

i chose FOR ENGLISH ONLY

-canada is bilingual and spends 400 million a year on bilingual text

-what happens when a foreigner calls 911. does that mean we need to have 911 operators of all languages then? you know how complicated that would be

-so lets say we, like canada, choose to be bilingual. obviously, we would pick spanish. so what about the other languages?

-africa itself has how many languages? do we provide for them as well?

-we already provide spanish material, yet do we provide mandarin? tagalog? german? nope. so are we implyiing that mexicans are too stupid to learn english?

-so how about the constitution, codes of the laws and shit. how are people to understand the law when they cant read it

-people fear that if their children were to learn english, that they would lose their culture. well tell me this, what would u prefer, your child to learn english and succeed in school and life? or to keep their 'culture' and remain at the bottom rungs of social society.

-language is NOT culture, but just a SINGLE aspect of it.

sorry its so jumbled. but those are some of the arguments i have

My thoughts exactly

Also, when we go to other countries, in small towns and non-touristy areas and stuff, if we dont know the language, we are screwed. Im one of those people that everyone hates because I think we should serisously cut down on Immigration. But thats just me.

Sam The Egg
02-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Finally, a debate that I can give my opinion on quickly and leave.

I don't really give a flying fuck.

*leaves*