PDA

View Full Version : parents, children, horror

fluffho
02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
when i was little Nickeloden used to show 'are u afriad of the dark.' there was also some random show called 'eerie indiana' which im pretty sure was also geared towards children

i never watched indiana (well only once, something about headgear that picked up radio waves) but i used to watch Are you, and even though it was all mellowed down for kids it scared me then, and would most likely scare me now

do they have shows like this now? im pretty sure no, now its all sponge bob. im guessing its the same reason as to why Beavis and Butthead were cancelled.... then again

i rmemeber a few years ago i was watching the news. some man was suing his daughters elementary school for having a book in the classroom. the book was about scary stories, and there were small pictures every few pages or so. i guess they were kinda scary. well he siad he chose not to expose his daughter to that kind of crap, and then she saw it at school and now is emotionally scarred..

so whats the deal with that? do they want their kids to grow up to be pussies?

one might say 'well he'd encounter that sooner or later so may as wel now' but where else would a person encounter horror... except with horror? i mean, the ratio of ax wielding men with a skin mask to normal peopel is very small.im sure most of us will never encounter one of those, or aliens, or a kiler clown

just a thought.

GorePhobia
02-10-2004, 11:47 AM
thats stupid....btw i loved are you afraid of the dark

kpropain
02-10-2004, 11:52 AM
I've encountered a one arm midget clown with bad acne, does that count. O'yeah the subject I think the parents need to stop being pussies, and let there kids be exposed to some shit. Hell I was watching horror movies when I was five years old and i turned out fine. http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/teu42.gif Well maybe not. LOL http://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/teu87.gifhttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/teu87.gifhttp://users.telenet.be/eforum/emoticons4u/evil/teu87.gif

Rotting Eye
02-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I don't think there are any scary shows out geared towards children anymore. Shows are on TV that could scare children, but those shows aren't geared towards that age group.

It's all about making kids feel happy now. If you don't feel happy and unafraid something is wrong. GRAB THE PILLS.

It's like one of my teachers last year. I forgot how old his kids are, somewhere around 4 and 7 I think.. But I remember he would come into class telling us about how he can't believe some of the commercials that are on TV now.

For example, I don't remember how many of you saw this ad, but it was the add for Bloorayne :D The one where the ladie's person was stolen buy some guy and she turned into the demon.. Well anyway he came in one day telling us how he was watching Nick with his two boys, and when that commercial came on he closed their eyes. After he told us that, I always thought differently of him... I was like damn man, calm down. It's not that bad. I thought it was stupid really.. I mean I'm pretty sure most of us were raised on things much more "scary" than seeing something like that on the boobtoob.

I think the government is controlling what everyone sees... Pretty soon Earth is gunna turn into A Brave New World. Hope I'm dead by then. :P

bloodrayne
02-10-2004, 12:43 PM
Both of my children were raised on horror, as was I...They understand that the movies are not real...They have seen how the special effects are done...If anything they are becoming "bored" not "psychotic"...At the age of 5, my daughter was watching a horror movie (wish I could remember which one) when she remarked, "Couldn't they have just used pig's guts?...It would have been better than that"...When my son was 6 he made a similar remark about blood that was too bright red and "looked like catsup"...My children are becoming CRITICS not PSYCHOS...

As for other "horror related media"...My son will not play an RPG in which he cannot wreak major havoc, death and destruction...The more blood and flying body parts, the better...I was the same way, and I still am...I have killed no one and I doubt very seriously that they will either

The books that I read to my children at bedtime, when they were small (and my son still), have always consisted mostly of Stephen King, but also...Peter Straub...Clive Barker...Ramsey Campbell...Dean Koontz...John Saul...etcetera

If my children do happen to set out on a murderous rampage...I will be the one to blame for not being there for them, teaching and raising them correctly...NOT HORROR...I am more than sick of people blaming their ineptitude on ANYTHING other than themselves...It's called "personal responsibility" people...learn it...live it...accept it.......AND STOP BITCHING

Sam The Egg
02-10-2004, 12:45 PM
If it's the book I'm thinking of, I have all three of them. The girl should be repremanded for being weak

hellfire1
02-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Rotting Eye

For example, I don't remember how many of you saw this ad, but it was the add for Bloorayne :D The one where the ladie's person was stolen buy some guy and she turned into the demon.. Well anyway he came in one day telling us how he was watching Nick with his two boys, and when that commercial came on he closed their eyes. After he told us that, I always thought differently of him... I was like damn man, calm down. It's not that bad. I thought it was stupid really.. I mean I'm pretty sure most of us were raised on things much more "scary" than seeing something like that on the boobtoob.

I think the government is controlling what everyone sees... Pretty soon Earth is gunna turn into A Brave New World. Hope I'm dead by then. :P

i moved to paris when i was 11. first commercial my brother and i see on tv is a soap commercial. and then all of a sudden : naked lady ! for soap man !! my mom ran to cover our eyes. needless to say, if there's a naked lady for a soap commercial, there's a naked lady for about any other commercial ( pads, nair, shampoo, deodorant, perfume... yogurt ! )
after a day of this, my mom just gave up.
my brother and i didn't grow up obsessed with sex ( well, at least i didn't ! ), and sleeping around is not my thing.
point being : parents can't protect their kids 24/7. and kids nowadays pretty much grow up by themselves. provided they have parents who know this and are there to guide them through it, then maybe they'll have a good chance at life, in my opinion.

i'm such an optimist ... :p

Rotting Eye
02-10-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by hellfire1
i moved to paris when i was 11. first commercial my brother and i see on tv is a soap commercial. and then all of a sudden : naked lady ! for soap man !! my mom ran to cover our eyes. needless to say, if there's a naked lady for a soap commercial, there's a naked lady for about any other commercial ( pads, nair, shampoo, deodorant, perfume... yogurt ! )
after a day of this, my mom just gave up.
my brother and i didn't grow up obsessed with sex ( well, at least i didn't ! ), and sleeping around is not my thing.
point being : parents can't protect their kids 24/7. and kids nowadays pretty much grow up by themselves. provided they have parents who know this and are there to guide them through it, then maybe they'll have a good chance at life, in my opinion.

i'm such an optimist ... :p

HAH. I took German four years through highschool, and sometimes the teacher would let us watch The Simpsons in german, and in some of the commercials there was nudity... She just said oh well! Nothing you haven't seen before anyway.

Then again we were like 16 and not 6... boobs.

Egekrusher
02-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
Both of my children were raised on horror, as was I...They understand that the movies are not real...They have seen how the special effects are done...If anything they are becoming "bored" not "psychotic"...At the age of 5, my daughter was watching a horror movie (wish I could remember which one) when she remarked, "Couldn't they have just used pig's guts?...It would have been better than that"...When my son was 6 he made a similar remark about blood that was too bright red and "looked like catsup"...My children are becoming CRITICS not PSYCHOS...

As for other "horror related media"...My son will not play an RPG in which he cannot wreak major havoc, death and destruction...The more blood and flying body parts, the better...I was the same way, and I still am...I have killed no one and I doubt very seriously that they will either

The books that I read to my children at bedtime, when they were small (and my son still), have always consisted mostly of Stephen King, but also...Peter Straub...Clive Barker...Ramsey Campbell...Dean Koontz...John Saul...etcetera

If my children do happen to set out on a murderous rampage...I will be the one to blame for not being there for them, teaching and raising them correctly...NOT HORROR...I am more than sick of people blaming their ineptitude on ANYTHING other than themselves...It's called "personal responsibility" people...learn it...live it...accept it.......AND STOP BITCHING

I love you.

Errr.. did I say that?

I was raised on horror as well. I was sneaking out of my room by the time I was 3 years old to watch NOES. I was LITERALLY raised on the stuff. While other babies were watching Sesame Street, I was watching people being torn limb from limb. And I loved it, and still do. Has it affected me at all? Not that I am aware of. I'm actually a pacifist, and I'm quite liberal as well. I do not condone violence unless it is absolutely necessary in order to protect yourself or your loved ones.

PsychoticPanda
02-10-2004, 02:39 PM
ooooh I used to love watching Are You Afraid of the Dark, and Eerie Indiana. Goosebumps,too. Also another one called Bone Chillers. I loved those horror kids show when I was younger.

Hell, I still love Are You Afraid of the Dark? :D

crazy clown
02-10-2004, 02:40 PM
some people...

Signs515
02-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Suing because of a book is rediculous, people will do anything for money. On the other topic though I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark when I was younger, sadly all of these shows have disappeared from Nick; it's basically all cartoons now.

Sam The Egg
02-10-2004, 03:36 PM
A lot of people were raised on horror. Pointing out the few who end up being maladjusted is unfair. Most of the people who follow horror movies or books or anything are fine.

Sam The Egg
02-10-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Signs515
sadly all of these shows have disappeared from Nick; it's basically all cartoons now.
Shit, Nickelodeon shows more cartoons than Cartoon Network.
*misses Salute Your Shorts*

fluffho
02-10-2004, 03:39 PM
my name is douglas lee

ug lee

ug lee

UGLY

UGLY

UGLY :D

sleepaway
02-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Anyone remember the good old days when Disney made really scary shit for kids? I remember Watcher In The Woods, Dragonslayer and Something Wicked This Way Comes all made by Disney for children and all are pretty creepy. Especially Watcher In The Woods the one that was pulled from theatres for being too scary.

What about MTV's Fear I guess that's aimed at kids right and that was kinda freaky.

Demon Seed
02-11-2004, 07:26 AM
I was raised on all kinds of horror stuff. I love it. I think it's cool. I know it's not real. I like it a lot more than comedies and action movies. It hasn't messed me up, but people do say I'm weird (and messed up) lol

GorePhobia
02-11-2004, 08:44 AM
i grew up on are you afraid of the dark, tales from the crypt, quantum leap, mcguyver, x-men, and IT playing on Lifetime lol it was fun!!!:D

teenagezombie
02-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Nickelodeon? whats that? anyway ive been watching horror movies for as long as i can remember and i dont think im weird.

im normal, :) everyone else is weird

PsychoticPanda
02-12-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
*misses Salute Your Shorts*

*cries* I used to love that show sooooo much.

Pete and Pete, Salute your Shorts, Rocko's Modern Life, Are You afraid of the Dark, Clariss Explains it all. *sigh* The good old days.

FairyKorpes
10-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Well my daughter is 4 and watches with me all the time. She's seen The Blob, Jason takes Manhattan, Night of the living Dead and Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.. etc..well anyway she loves them and tells these awesome stories to my mom about zombies eating skin and blood and i fucking die, it's just that funny. No nightmares or anything, i just hope i don't wake one night with a barbie at my throat and her chanting some shit about voices:confused:

Arioch
10-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Clarissa explains it all was a REASON for getting cable.....

Vodstok
10-18-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
Clarissa explains it all was a REASON for getting cable..... I never expected this from you......:D

Arioch
10-18-2004, 12:11 PM
I never expected this from you......

I've been getting that alot lately lol.....

Are you saying you never expected that because its too girly a show for me or because the only reason a male would like it is clarissa and that is to masculine for me?

Vodstok
10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Not sure, really. Probably because she is goody goody and it seemed a tad mainstream. Just goes to show how unpredictable you are :D

I for one loved Rocko's modern Life. Sick, twisted little kid's show.

He beat the shit out of a peace-spouting, lovey dovey hari krishna guy one time because he had been a bully to him as a kid. and then the guy thanked him for cleraring his conscience. great show :D

And his best freind was a steer that lived with wolves.... and they ate cow....:D

hellfire1
10-18-2004, 12:20 PM
Clarissa explains it all was a REASON for getting cable.....

:eek: :eek:

:p

Arioch
10-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Not sure, really. Probably because she is goody goody and it seemed a tad mainstream. Just goes to show how unpredictable you are

Haha...thx....she wasn't as marketable back then tho.....i just had an unhealthy obsession....:D

Fluff the Ho
10-18-2004, 12:56 PM
i was wondering what hte hell this thread was doing back up

clarissa explains it all? LOL!! i truly am disappointed in ur Arioch

rocko's modern life r0xx0red. i miss it :( for some reason, the one episode tha stuck out to me is where Rocko gets the credit card, goes to the mall to buy the dog (his name...?) a dog bowl.

"poke my eye. Ouch. you are here"
remember??????????? :D

Arioch
10-18-2004, 01:57 PM
clarissa explains it all? LOL!! i truly am disappointed in ur Arioch

Hey Clarissa owns your ass back in the day!!!

allmykids
10-18-2004, 04:04 PM
I let my kids watch them but they are not into them as much as I am. I don't think it really hurts them at all to watch them!! Blameing Kids problems on Movies, games or music Is bullshit!!

Fluff the Ho
10-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Hey Clarissa owns your ass back in the day!!!

*smack upside yo head* :D