PDA

View Full Version : why hate cgi?

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:02 PM
that meaning computer animated stuff in movies... why is everyone so against it? thats one thing il never understand, but everywhere i look someone is talking down on cg and il never understand why someone would want a puppet that looks like crap over an animated beast that looks like your ultimate nightmare.

"can you love as much as you can hate?"

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:04 PM
because a lot of the time they over do it. LOTR has done a great job with CG but matrix (2 &3) for example over did it.

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
nothing is without its flaws, everything can be over done, or under done or not done at all if you prefer that.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:08 PM
well yeh. but i dont see why they dont take the extra step and make sure it actually looks good.

van helsing looks good though, wel from what i seen

if LOTR can do a good job why cant others? i think because they rush it. even animation is being rushed (mainly because they are not doing it the old way anymore, they are using computers)

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:11 PM
to me it looks like most people will hate it no matter how good it is, its so anoying.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:11 PM
oh

yeh making generalizations is always stupid.

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:15 PM
people...they are so fucked up....any wonder i hate them?

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:15 PM
a lot of times, people use CGI as a crutch, which leads to them overdoing it. Star Wars 2 is a prime example. Yoda, Obi Wan and Sam Jackson are walking down a hallway. The hallway is in CGI. Think about it. It's not a flying lazer-cannon baby eater of death hallway, it's just a hallway. And it's in CGI. Hallways are not hard to find, I'm sure many of you have them in your house.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:17 PM
i think they would rather pay people to sit there ass in front of a computer

than to pay people to actually build stuff

probably cheaper that way too.... stingy bastards

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
wait..

ik just call it CG

what is the I for?

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:18 PM
They should bring back claymation. Although they'd probably just scan the clay model and animate it with computers. I hate people...lousy bastards.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:19 PM
wallace and gromit kick ass

mtv used to do that show, celebrity death match, out of clay, but they didnt do a very good job at all

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
dont know much about movie making but they are on a budget, if they cant find the money to build one and its cheaper to cg it why not? theyr allready paying the actors something like 30 mill a head, incase you didnt know thats alot of money to just pull out of your ass and hand to some jerkoff lucky enough to be in the movie.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 03:22 PM
well not only building it but everything that goes with props is a pain in the ass

storing, moving it around all the time, maintenance, disposal after ward sucks too. plenty of times they have a sequel, and storage is expensive.

bloodygurl02
02-04-2004, 03:24 PM
i have no prob w/ CGI. i rather see that then puppets that look crappy. but they do over do it it atimes w/ the CGI like in the matrix reloaded.

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:27 PM
with lotr, the two towers they buildt an entire village ontop of a mountain for a set, but they had a limmitless suply of cash (allmost at least)
and thats not avalible to everyone in the movie making bussines.

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by fluffho
wait..

ik just call it CG

what is the I for? C=computer G=generated I=images

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't say limitless. They had 94 million for that particular movie.

moonsorrow
02-04-2004, 03:56 PM
thats what i call limmitless

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Meh, call it what you like. I never was good with money.
Old news I'm sure, but FotR made back the money they spent on the entire trilogy. That's pretty awesome.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 04:01 PM
T3 spent over $250 mil

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 04:23 PM
T3 spent over $250 mil OMFG that is limitless beyond limitless

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 04:24 PM
do these budgets include advertising?

fluffho
02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
nope :)

they had to halt in between filming to raise more money

Evisceration
02-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Some movies can pull it off, some can't. The point of CG characters and monsters and shit is to make it look real. 90% of the things that are CG in movies look fake as hell. That's why I say not many can pull off some good CG stuff.

moonsorrow
02-05-2004, 01:18 AM
T3 is the most expensive movie made to this date, pretty insane amount of money to spend on a movie if you ask me.

nightbreed
02-05-2004, 01:50 AM
to be completely honest. i cant remember seeing a cg monster that i couldnt tell was cg. as a matter of fact ive never seen anything come out of a computer that could be descibed as "from my darkest nightmares". the closest in realism that comes to mind was gollum, and even he had his moments.

my issue with cg is that it completly kills the makeup industry. answer me this- what looked better, the wolf in American Werewolf in London, or the Cg wolves in American Werewolf in Paris. The zombie effects in day of the dead, or the zombie effects in resident evil?. And granted it does take talent to design and render cg charactors, but i personally believe that there is far much more skill in the application and design of practical effects. there is somthing very special about drawing somthing on paper and watching it come to life in front of you in actual reality.

I mean really movies like matrix II/III and blade II. those fight scenes looked like dick, because we all new it wasnt real. it looked like a fucking cartoon.

what i do appreciate is the melding of the two feilds. movies like LOTR, Last Samurai and others are doing a very good job or integrating both styles. personally i think that were beginning to reach the peak of computer graffics and that instead of seeing effects that are completely cg, well see effects that are a mixture of cg and practical. i expect for the two feilds to evolve togeather in sybiosis.

sleepaway
02-05-2004, 05:24 AM
CGI as already stated is bad when it's over used. The best CGI stuff is the things you don't even realise is CGI and I'm killing myself here for not having a good example of it! But I've listened to a lot of DVD commentaries where they say something isn't real and you're like NO WAY!!! I think one of the best CGI stuff is where Legolas jumps up onto the horse in Two Towers - amazing. And yes I don't like CGI as it just looks fake and you know it's not real! If it's obviously not present you loose the suspense/scare. Worst CGI I remember was in Space Precinct (SP?) which looked like it was created on an old 48K Spectrum or something. I like in camera effects, they will always look more realistic, CGI has become an easy way out. The Matrix sequels had the worst CGI for such a big movie. I don't know, got nothing against it when it's done well and it doesn't help when you grow up without CGI. Is probably different for people a lot younger than myself who had Jurassic Park when they were young.

bloodrayne
02-05-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Evisceration
Some movies can pull it off, some can't. The point of CG characters and monsters and shit is to make it look real. 90% of the things that are CG in movies look fake as hell. That's why I say not many can pull off some good CG stuff.

Yep...That's pretty much the answer, right there...

moonsorrow
02-05-2004, 12:36 PM
i can sum it all up in one single over used word....bah!

HappyCamper
02-05-2004, 12:48 PM
while i'll agree with most of you, CGI has been over used at times, it comes in handy when there's no other way to accomplish the desired effect. For instance, alot of the movement of Spiderman was done with CGI, mostly the parts, with him swinging from building to building..and i thought it looked pretty good, but that's because they actually spent the time to make it look good. I think the worst CGI i've ever seen was in the movie, "Jumanji"... granted it was a bad movie to begin with, the monkeys looked so incredibly fake and cartoon like...

Killer Clown#1
02-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by nightbreed
to be completely honest. i cant remember seeing a cg monster that i couldnt tell was cg. as a matter of fact ive never seen anything come out of a computer that could be descibed as "from my darkest nightmares". the closest in realism that comes to mind was gollum, and even he had his moments.

my issue with cg is that it completly kills the makeup industry. answer me this- what looked better, the wolf in American Werewolf in London, or the Cg wolves in American Werewolf in Paris. The zombie effects in day of the dead, or the zombie effects in resident evil?. And granted it does take talent to design and render cg charactors, but i personally believe that there is far much more skill in the application and design of practical effects. there is somthing very special about drawing somthing on paper and watching it come to life in front of you in actual reality.

I mean really movies like matrix II/III and blade II. those fight scenes looked like dick, because we all new it wasnt real. it looked like a fucking cartoon.

what i do appreciate is the melding of the two feilds. movies like LOTR, Last Samurai and others are doing a very good job or integrating both styles. personally i think that were beginning to reach the peak of computer graffics and that instead of seeing effects that are completely cg, well see effects that are a mixture of cg and practical. i expect for the two feilds to evolve togeather in sybiosis. Agreed:)

MythMan84
02-05-2004, 03:00 PM
ya it's not that hard to tell a real and a fake monster, it was kewler when they used animatronics i personally thought it just looked realler

fluffho
02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
i think part of the issue too is to pay someone to be the voice is a lot cheaper than to pay someone to act

make-up can get expensive as well, especially some costumes take between 3-7 hours to apply.

they're pretty stingy too, on planet of the apes remake, they saved all the hair pieces. you'd think that hair is cheap but apparently not! i think it was llama or emu hair

ckyguy
02-05-2004, 04:24 PM
CGI= SHIT...People use CGI because they think it looks more real and it's pretty much faster. If it is done right it looks okay like in Jurassic park. It only looked good in that though because they used anamitronics mixed with CGI. It doesn't look good in horror movies though. Like in that shit movie Final destination 2. When the guy gets all gut up and his arms and body falls apart his arms don't even hit the ground and they disappear! So yea CGI might work in a space movie or whatever but it wont work in a horror movie! :mad:

Egekrusher
02-05-2004, 04:45 PM
wait..

ik just call it CG

what is the I for?

Computer Generated Imagery

Or..

Computer Generation (CG)