PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Darko

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Awesome movie, kinda confusing but really kewl ifyou understand it. Anyone else like it?

Evisceration
02-04-2004, 10:01 AM
Great movie.

I hope SFF doesn't see this, she may throw a fit because she's a deprived middle aged woman.

There are a few parts that I had to watch over like 5 times because I didn't get it the first time through. Once you piece shit together it's a great movie. Although not scary, still great.

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 10:02 AM
was it really meant to be scary, i just thought it was meant to prove like a point that things like time travel may be possible or that might just be me....

Evisceration
02-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Never said it was meant to be scary, I said it wasn't.

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 10:07 AM
i was just restating the question for no reason

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 10:07 AM
great movie. Should've gotten way more recognition than it did.

Arioch
02-04-2004, 10:47 AM
great movie. Should've gotten way more recognition than it did.

100% agree.

Egekrusher
02-04-2004, 12:13 PM
This is one of my favorite movies ever.

hellfire1
02-04-2004, 12:28 PM
absolutely loved this movie. went to the official website to see if i could get some more info on it, and turns out, the website is just as enigmatic as the movie ! still excellent tho.

Signs515
02-04-2004, 12:29 PM
This is also one of my favorite movies ever, the story was really great and it had a good ending.......sad but good.

Arioch
02-04-2004, 12:40 PM
I love the part where donnies in the bathroom and he sees Frank. Then he stabs at him in the eye with that knife and it makes that crazy sound. It kinda forshadows the ending too.

Tiny Terror
02-04-2004, 12:58 PM
hehe donni darko, that sounds like a stupid name

i dont think ill want 2 sea this movie:cool:

Arioch
02-04-2004, 01:24 PM

i dont think ill want 2 sea this movie

Thats exactly why it doesnt get the credit it deserves Sam.

You really are missing out on a great film Tiny, but judging by your mentality and your name it'd probably be over your head anyway.

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
I love the part where donnies in the bathroom and he sees Frank. Then he stabs at him in the eye with that knife and it makes that crazy sound. It kinda forshadows the ending too. but the reason frank has his eye blown out it because donnie shoots him in the eye at the halloween party

hellfire1
02-04-2004, 01:45 PM
hence, the reason he said :

Originally posted by Arioch
It kinda forshadows the ending too.

but if we really want to get into it, frank's eye was already shot. i think ! :p

Arioch
02-04-2004, 01:48 PM
ya thats why i said it was FORSHADOWING;)

But does that happen before or after he takes off his Rabbit mask in the theater and hes already shot?? Either way both scenes own.

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 01:57 PM
I didn't think Donnie Darko was very good. It seemed like the kind of movie naive alterna-teens would like. (I can just imagine some bondage-pant-clad, "misunderstood", loser saying "whoa, that was twisted!" or "what a mind-fuck!" etc.) The fact is, this movie said absolutely nothing that hasn't been said before. I mean, not that I'm much for originality, but this movie seemed like it was pretending to be something it was not. This is the kind of movie high school creative writing students cream themselves over while whining and crying about how no one understands them... all while at the local coffee bar with their journal/sketchbook/whatever.

Arioch
02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I didn't think Donnie Darko was very good. It seemed like the kind of movie naive alterna-teens would like. (I can just imagine some bondage-pant-clad, "misunderstood", loser saying "whoa, that was twisted!" or "what a mind-fuck!" etc.) The fact is, this movie said absolutely nothing that hasn't been said before. I mean, not that I'm much for originality, but this movie seemed like it was pretending to be something it was not. This is the kind of movie high school creative writing students cream themselves over while whining and crying about how no one understands them... all while at the local coffee bar with their journal/sketchbook/whatever.

HOLY SHIT! did you get beat up by some gothic high schoolers or something??You obviously put alot of thought into hating this movie:confused:

Egekrusher
02-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Tiny Terror

You need to go away. Now.

Egekrusher
02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by knife_fight

And I thought I had issues.

fluffho
02-04-2004, 02:13 PM
woahh.... finally someone dumber than me!

methinks she is 12!

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 02:16 PM
hmmm... maybe I came across as a bit harsh. I didn't completely hate the movie, I just didn't think it was nearly as good as everyone else seems to think it was. Some person said it didn't get enough credit, but I honestly think it got WAY too much. As I said a minute ago, it didn't say one thing that hasn't been said before. Not only that, but it left MANY issues that it touched on unresolved. It felt like the movie could never truly make up its own mind on what it was supposed to be about. In other words, it spread itself too thin, it tried to say something about a lot of different things and ended up not saying anything about any of them.

Dark_Deacon
02-04-2004, 02:16 PM
i loved it and i understood the whole movie after seeing the ending. it gets 2 thumbs up!!:cool: :D

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:06 PM
It didn't say anything that hadn't been said before? WHO CARES?! There are no movies that say things that haven't been said before. The movie is great, that is the extent of what I care about.

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 03:19 PM
what made it great??? chances are, you, along with most people, think it's great because it's "brilliant" or something like that. what made it great to you? the cinematography? riiiiight...

I said earlier that originality isn't something I normally look for in movies, but if you take Donnie Darko in the context it is presented in, it isn't what it purports to be. I hate to use this word, but Donnie Darko is a "poser" of a movie. It wants us to think about how incredibly ingenius its producers were, and tries to accomplish this by attempting to disorient and confuse the viewer by throwing all of these images and ideas at you all at once. It touches on so many things, it could never even hope to realize them all unless they wanted a 10 hour "Donnie Darko Trilogy" or something. And I, for one, do not care to sit through 10 hours of "I'm sad" and "Look how smart we are to repackage old ideas and sell them to a new audience who hasn't heard them before."

I also said that I didn't hate the movie. It had some redeeming qualities, no doubt. And like Picasso said, "Talent borrows, genius steals."

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:22 PM
And I, for one, do not care to sit through 10 hours of "I'm sad"

Did you even WATCH the movie?

Also, way to read my post in the Big Fish thread and try to work it into a weak insult, and then fail at it. *thumbs up*

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Um. I wasn't trying to insult you. I think you're a bit paranoid and arrogant for assuming that people read your posts, much less comment on them.

Voicing opinions on a movie has nothing to do with voicing opinions on a person's character and to think otherwise is not only immature, but slightly delusional. If you feel threatened by someone who doesn't like a movie you like, then details exactly why and points out the movie's flaws, then that's something you will have to work out on your time, not here.

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:33 PM
what flaws? "Oh, it says stuff that's been said before!" That's not a flaw, that's your bullshit problem with the movie.

And why do you go back to the Big Fish thread before you reply?

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 03:43 PM
hmmm... why should I go back to the Big Fish thread??? to read one of your posts that you wrongfully assumed I was referencing???

Also, I mean, goddam, I thought I had fully explained why the fact that Donnie Darko saying nothing new is a fault in that particular movie, and not in others.

I, unlike you, honestly don't care if you like the movie and I don't. Not only that, but you're beginning to bore the shit out of me by repeating yourself and I don't have the time or energy to babysit.

Sam The Egg
02-04-2004, 03:45 PM
well, if you're bored, then why do you come back here? You keep saying it's flawed by not saying anything new, which is bullshit because there hasn't been a movie in the last 10 years at least that's said something new, and I'm repeating myself? Right. And I don't know why you go back to the Big Fish thread, that's why I asked.

MythMan84
02-04-2004, 04:32 PM
dude knife y did you come to this thread if you just came here to bitch on and on and on about how you didnt like it you preppy punk

PsychoticPanda
02-04-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by MythMan84
Awesome movie, kinda confusing but really kewl ifyou understand it. Anyone else like it?

I looove that movie. I had to watch it with the commentary on the DVD to get a couple (small) things, but it's really good and everyone should see it.

EEEEEVVVVVVEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYOOOONNNNNEEEEE!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

knife_fight
02-04-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by MythMan84
dude knife y did you come to this thread if you just came here to bitch on and on and on about how you didnt like it you preppy punk

wtf? that was pretty much out of left field

Hate_Breeder
02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
One of the best movies Ive seen in years!

nightbreed
02-05-2004, 01:26 AM
ey knife fight-

when you said that Donnie Darko was a "poseur" (i even spelled it right), i was just wondering what movie it was/is posing off of. Personally i quite like this film. And really past all the mumbo jumbo timetravel stuff- to me it was about sacraficing for those you love. True not a new concept, but hey, if you thought it was that terrible, how bout write a script, get funding, make the movie, and then if its better than Donnie Darko- then maybe youll have some space to talk shit.

knife_fight
02-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by nightbreed
ey knife fight-

when you said that Donnie Darko was a "poseur" (i even spelled it right), i was just wondering what movie it was/is posing off of. Personally i quite like this film. And really past all the mumbo jumbo timetravel stuff- to me it was about sacraficing for those you love. True not a new concept, but hey, if you thought it was that terrible, how bout write a script, get funding, make the movie, and then if its better than Donnie Darko- then maybe youll have some space to talk shit.

Ok, first off the spelling of "poseur" has changed over the past 30 years. Any student of language could tell you that. Linguistics, motherfucker!!! Not only that, but even if I had spelled it wrong, trying to insult a person on a message board because they spelled something wrong is really weak. Obviously I could have pointed out several grammatical errors in your post, but I'm an adult and feel like I'm past that. What movie is it "POSING" off of??? I thought I made it clear that I felt like Donnie Darko was
"POSING" as a thought-provoking, important piece of art. At least, that's what it was passed on to me as.

The part about how I should make a movie and then I could talk shit: let me get this straight. What you are basically saying is, "Unless you have made ONE movie yourself, you cannot say that you DON'T LIKE any one movie." Did I get that right? Because if I did, THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAM SENSE. You know it doesn't. Search in your heart for the truth and you will find it is there. The critical mind is something that many people possess: political analysts, social activists, literary scholars, art critics, etc. It is the ability to point out what is wrong, but then not have any real, tangible solutions for how to fix it... or in this case, make a better movie. If you really do feel this way, you shouldn't be on a message board that is based on how people view different expressions of the horror genre.

If I had known so many people's vaginas would start bleeding because I said I didn't like this movie, I certainly would not have stated my opinion in the first place.

Sam the Eggg, WHERE ARE YOU??? I'm tired of people who want to argue but have nothing to say!!! You're not boring, I take it back!!!!! Just please, come back with something that makes sense!!! Also, after much deliberation, I have decided to concede the fact that, at their base elements, no movie has said anything new within the past ten years. However, I would go back farther than ten years, maybe forever. This does not alter the fact that this movie has a reputation for being something it is not. It also does not change the (other) fact that the movie leaves many loose ends never tied. But going back to the "critical mind" thing, I feel like there are two different ways of viewing a movie: 1. as pure entertainment. This is the mindset I got into when I put in Freddy vs. Jason two nights ago. It's the "I'm off of work so I'm going to turn off my brain and enjoy this movie as shallowly as I possibly can." Other examples of pure entertainment are: Ski School 2, any Jackie Chan movie, the Exterminator... you get the idea.
#2. the "Film is an important medium for art and thus change" mindset is a treacherous one. It is one that, to me, is not to be toyed with. It begins when I am handed or recommended a movie under the pretext that it is "good art" (whatever the fuck that is). That is when my critical mind goes into high gear, and if a movie is not absolutely done 100% right, it is automatically thrashed. To shorten an already long post, I won't go into what makes a 100% movie, but it is what makes movies go through that wonderfully pretentious transformation from "movie" to "film."

Ok, sorry to get into that, but I felt like it was important for my would-be detractors to know where I'm coming from with this movie.

I hate artsy people.

BudMan
02-05-2004, 08:16 AM
Movies,like music, are subjective. This forum is suppose to be about opinions , no? knife_fight expressed his or her opinion most elegantly and gets bashed for it. If we all had the same taste in movies this would be a pretty boring forum.

nightbreed
02-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Ok, first off the spelling of "poseur" has changed over the past 30 years. Any student of language could tell you that. Linguistics, motherfucker!!! Not only that, but even if I had spelled it wrong, trying to insult a person on a message board because they spelled something wrong is really weak. Obviously I could have pointed out several grammatical errors in your post, but I'm an adult and feel like I'm past that. What movie is it "POSING" off of??? I thought I made it clear that I felt like Donnie Darko was
"POSING" as a thought-provoking, important piece of art. At least, that's what it was passed on to me as.

The part about how I should make a movie and then I could talk shit: let me get this straight. What you are basically saying is, "Unless you have made ONE movie yourself, you cannot say that you DON'T LIKE any one movie." Did I get that right? Because if I did, THAT MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO GODDAM SENSE. You know it doesn't. Search in your heart for the truth and you will find it is there. The critical mind is something that many people possess: political analysts, social activists, literary scholars, art critics, etc. It is the ability to point out what is wrong, but then not have any real, tangible solutions for how to fix it... or in this case, make a better movie. If you really do feel this way, you shouldn't be on a message board that is based on how people view different expressions of the horror genre.

i said goddamn nashville! calm down man. its cool that your backing up your opinions- thats more than half the people on here do. most would just be like "that movie was stupid b/c its stupid". So we disagree. Who cares? The point about making a film i was trying to make is that making a film that is original, thought provoking, and emotionally stirring is no easy task. thats all man.
I hate artsy people.

HappyCamper
02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
actually if you think about it, every movie ever made, can be based on two maybe really 3 basic stories, that have existed throughout history.

1.) a stranger comes to town

2.) our character(s) go on a journey

3.) a combination of 1&2.

and actually, if you think about this, almost every story, steals/borrows ideas,concepts from another.

Sam The Egg
02-05-2004, 01:50 PM
actually, there are seven basic stories/themes
Man vs. Man
Man vs. Nature
Man vs. Self
Man vs. Environment
Man vs. God/religion
Man vs. Supernatural
Man vs. Technology

Although there's also the 37 plots theory:
Supplication (in which the Supplicant must beg something from Power in authority)
Deliverance
Crime Pursued by Vengeance
Vengeance taken for kindred upon kindred
Pursuit
Disaster
Falling Prey to Cruelty of Misfortune
Revolt
Daring Enterprise
Abduction
The Enigma (temptation or a riddle)
Obtaining
Enmity of Kinsmen
Rivalry of Kinsmen
Murderous Adultery
Madness
Fatal Imprudence
Involuntary Crimes of Love (example: discovery that one has married one's mother, sister, etc.)
Slaying of a Kinsman Unrecognized
Self-Sacrificing for an Ideal
Self-Sacrifice for Kindred
All Sacrificed for Passion
Necessity of Sacrificing Loved Ones
Rivalry of Superior and Inferior
Adultery
Crimes of Love
Discovery of the Dishonor of a Loved One
Obstacles to Love
An Enemy Loved
Ambition
Conflict with a God
Mistaken Jealousy
Erroneous Judgement
Remorse
Recovery of a Lost One
Loss of Loved Ones.
Mistaken Identity

But I tend to go with the seven plots

Sam The Egg
02-05-2004, 01:52 PM
However, I would go back farther than ten years, maybe forever.
I said at least, but everything had to start somewhere.

Also, I don't care about reputation. The people who made the movie never purported it to be saying anything new. Some people said it did, so the blame for the reputation you're talking about is squarely on them.

MythMan84
02-05-2004, 02:52 PM
wtf? that was pretty much out of left field I"m really sorry man that was not me, i went to the bathroom while my friend was over and he typed that. sorry (personally dont wat a bad rep here)

knife_fight
02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
wow. this thread just turned into the best thread on this whole site. I'm serious.

MythMan84
02-06-2004, 01:07 PM
what do you mean? do you mean the subject or yourguy's debate?

Sam The Egg
02-06-2004, 06:06 PM
why is this the best thread?

Leper Messiah
02-07-2004, 10:15 AM

You make me want to reach out and crack you over the head with an English dictionary. If coherency was a movie, you'd be The Matrix revolutions.

Donnie Darko is a pretty good movie. Jake Gyllenhall(sp?) is great.

Sam The Egg
02-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
You make me want to reach out and crack you over the head with an English dictionary.

http://www.e-places.net/samples/flash/stfu.swf

kpropain
02-07-2004, 10:32 AM
LOL I've seen that one^^^^^ before but fucking hillarious. And Donnie Darko was kick ass.

Angelakillsluts
02-07-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
You make me want to reach out and crack you over the head with an English dictionary. If coherency was a movie, you'd be The Matrix revolutions.

Donnie Darko is a pretty good movie. Jake Gyllenhall(sp?) is great.

LOL That was pretty funny. :D I also think it's funny that Sam actually had a video of someone getting hit in the head with a dictionary. What the hell are the odds? :p

PsychoticPanda
02-07-2004, 02:01 PM

That's because it's too much for your small brain to handle.

MythMan84
02-08-2004, 11:04 AM
still waitin for an answer knife

avenged_soul
02-08-2004, 11:08 AM
i was lost throughout most of the movie but when i saw who frank was i wasnt so lost nemore! it was really good none the less!

McDonnyDude666
02-28-2004, 01:38 AM
I loved this movie it was excellent.

DarkwingMantis
02-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Never saw it. The description on the satellite sonded stupid. Something about a boy and his Giant Rabbit. Sounds like the description was a little missleading. Maybe Ill have to check it out