PDA

View Full Version : Fav. Stephen King Books

kpropain
02-03-2004, 08:31 AM
What is everyones favorite Stephen King books, mine are The Stand, The Bachman Books, It, and Different seasons.

bloodrayne
02-03-2004, 08:58 AM
It
Carrie (His first novel...The one that he threw in the garbage...His wife, Tabitha took it out and told him to get it published)
The Stand
Danse Macabre
The Talisman (With Peter Straub)
Black House (Talisman Part 2...With Peter Straub again)
The Bachman Books
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Pet Sematary
Night Shift
Different Seasons
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Skeleton Crew
Desperation
Misery
Rose Madder
Insomnia
Christine
Firestarter
Cujo
Dead Zone
The Dark Half
Tommyknockers
Needful Things
Bag Of Bones
Secret Windows
On Writing
Delores Claiborne
Gerald's Game
Everything's Eventual
Hearts in Atlantis
Dark Tower Series
Green Mile
The Eyes Of The Dragon
Four Past Midnight
Dream Catcher
Storm Of The Century
From A Buick 8
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

heapodd
02-03-2004, 09:07 AM
I agree with Bloodrayne about it being difficult to decide lol, but for me The Stand pips them, and for nostalgia's sake I'll go with 'Salems Lot as it was my first King novel.
I prefer least of all Gerald's Game and The Talisman.

ProjectMayhem
02-03-2004, 11:16 AM
It.

My favourite book ever.

sleepaway
02-04-2004, 02:59 AM
It's easier to say the worst which was: The Regulators.

But I

sleepaway
02-04-2004, 02:59 AM
It's easier to say the worst which was: The Regulators.

But I think The Stand & Desperation are two of the best.

dmihatmttl
02-04-2004, 04:25 AM
My favorites: THE SHINING, CUJO, CHRISTINE, THE DEAD ZONE, and IT.

Least favorites: THE TOMMYKNOCKERS, ROSE MADDER, and I've never been a fan of the DARK TOWER books, unfortunately . . . .

James N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

friday13thfan
02-10-2004, 04:31 AM
IT! by far

Egekrusher
02-10-2004, 09:16 AM
The Dark Tower series. I am completely obsessed with it.

99devlinm
02-17-2004, 08:22 AM
My favourite books by stephen king are The Stand, Dreamcatcher and It which i have nearly finished. I have started The Dark Tower 1. What does everybody think of The Dark Tower books. Please tell me.

sleepaway
02-18-2004, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by 99devlinm
My favourite books by stephen king are The Stand, Dreamcatcher and It which i have nearly finished. I have started The Dark Tower 1. What does everybody think of The Dark Tower books. Please tell me.

The Dark Tower books just get better and better, you'll like thm a whole lot. Are you reading the original Dark Tower or the new version?

HighPriestWise
02-18-2004, 10:51 AM
I'd have to say the Shining and needful things.
They were good as books and even better as movies!!

HIGH PRIEST WISE

hellfire1
02-18-2004, 02:18 PM
i have a question about "apt pupil". maybe one of you guys can help me :

the story ends like this "It was five hours later and almost dark before they took him down."

i always found this a bit ambiguous. is the "boy" ( more like monster ! ) shot down or simply maimed ?

AUSTIN316426808
02-18-2004, 04:06 PM
my favorate king books are

The Shining
Rose Red
Cujo
IT

not in that order.

AUSTIN316426808
02-18-2004, 04:11 PM
i have a question about a king movie rather than a book.

in storm of the century what is the guy who wants one of the towns children maybe i did'nt pay close enough attention or just did'nt understand it well enough but can somebody tell me what he is?

sleepaway
02-19-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by hellfire1

the story ends like this "It was five hours later and almost dark before they took him down."

i always found this a bit ambiguous. is the "boy" ( more like monster ! ) shot down or simply maimed ?

I think it's ambiguous on purpose. I think I took it myself that he was killed. It's really just a generic statement to say they got him!!

Bloodrayne what do you think?

myster6
02-21-2004, 10:35 AM
I've read just about all of his books excluding his collections of short stories and the only one that I'd recommend is The Dead Zone. The Gunslinger books were good also.

kpropain
02-21-2004, 02:09 PM

This is one of my favorite stories from his compilation books.
It's pretty much of a given that they shot and killed him,but King leaves it to the imagination.

heapodd
02-29-2004, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by myster6
I've read just about all of his books excluding his collections of short stories and the only one that I'd recommend is The Dead Zone. The Gunslinger books were good also.

Why did you read them all then? If I read the whole collection of someones works it would be because I liked them. Just curious. :)

myster6
02-29-2004, 10:48 AM
It's not that I didn't like any of the books, but I just don't that they're good enough to actually recommend to someone when you have so many better novels to recommend. And I'm probably not the only one here who can say this, but for years it seemed like if you wanted a good horror novel, then look no further than King, but now when I'm browsing through the bbokstore, I practically skip over the whole King/Koontz section. They just don't deliver like Gorman, Keene, Laymon, Ketchum, etc.

HighPriestWise
02-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Hey, Stephen King what got me into writeing.
I love all his stuff!

HIGH PRIEST WISE

William
03-13-2004, 10:40 AM
I've only read The Stand by him, which is my favorite. I tried to read the 2nd book in the Dark Tower series, but I didn't like it really...and I've read a bit of Dreamcatcher as well, haven't finished though, so I really cannot say. I WANT to read It though...it's one of my favorite movies, and I heard the book is way better.

Nightmarian
03-14-2004, 04:48 PM
It was great, was my favorite untill I read the Stand. The Stand's post-apocalyptic world is a delight.

I also am a big fan of The Dark Tower and I agree that it just keeps getting better. My only fear though is that he might never really finish that serie... Wich would be rather sad.

evil_deadman
03-15-2004, 09:47 AM
my favorites are mainly his collections..Night Shift,..Skeleton Crew,Nightmares and Dreamscapes,and Everythings Eventual in particular.altho i enjoyed reading the Bachman Books.and Four Past Midnight..as for full length novels..I probably enjoyed The Stand,Pet Semetary,and Needful Things,the most..

brownzombie
03-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Salem's Lot
It
Insomnia
Dark Tower series
Green Mile
All Anthologies
The Stand
Different Seasons
The Bachman Books (especially the Long Walk!)
Needful Things

bloodrayne
03-31-2004, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by sleepaway
I think it's ambiguous on purpose. I think I took it myself that he was killed. It's really just a generic statement to say they got him!!

Bloodrayne what do you think? I agree with your assumption...I do believe that it is left up to the reader to acertain his ultimate fate:)

AmarylandPsycho
04-01-2004, 09:04 PM
Ohhh from what i hear the dark tower will be finished. Word also is after he's finished the dark tower hes done writing. Song of Susannah comes out June 4 2004 and The Dark Tower sept 21 2004. not sure if this info was already posted i jumped to the end of the thread.

horrorfellow
04-03-2004, 05:24 PM

I'd say dead, or it wouldn't have been the last sentence.

MichaelMyers
04-07-2004, 08:59 AM
The Stand.

conductor31
04-07-2004, 09:21 AM
EYES OF THE DRAGON
who can forget good ol' Flagg?

Cereal Killer
04-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Desperation and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Desperation was the first I'd ever read, and would read gladly again and again. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon just reminds me of childhood, and I think it's an adorable book.

I don't think I'll ever read The Dark Tower series. I have a mother's that's been with them since the beginning, and her dedication scares me. Really, really badly.

XFeaRX
04-07-2004, 09:21 PM
Too bad I only read one of the Stephen King books and I really liked it. "IT" was the book I read. The clown scared the fuck outta me when I was like 8. The movie had a more lasting inpact on my sanity.

orangestar
04-15-2004, 05:58 PM
I love all that I have read, except It, but my favorite book of his is Pet Sematary. Its not a book, but the short story "the Langoliers" is my second favorite piece of writing of all time. (first being Romeo and Juliet, but thats not quite horror, now is it?)

Arioch
04-15-2004, 08:19 PM
I love all that I have read, except It, but my favorite book of his is Pet Sematary. Its not a book, but the short story "the Langoliers" is my second favorite piece of writing of all time. (first being Romeo and Juliet, but thats not quite horror, now is it?)

You didnt like IT?:confused: How??? And pet sematary DID OWN!!

Demon Seed
04-19-2004, 08:35 AM
"IT" is my all time favorite Stephen King book:cool:

Unaboner3000
04-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I've read almost all of King's novels and most of his short stories. I love his writng style. He may be too long-winded for some readers who prefer a quick read with not so much detail to characters and places.

A Unaboner3000 Top 5 would include:

The Dark Tower series (best books EVER)

The Stand (very long, and very detailed in character developement, which I love.)

Rose Madder (exciting story, and a strong FEMALE main character)

Dreamcatcher (Alot better than that crappy movie)

Desperation (most "action-packed" of King's stories, I think)

nine9
04-20-2004, 05:50 PM
Bloodrayne, it was amazing how you could put thopse in order!
I know my first ffew favorites but then it gets hard.

From my memory, so I may forget a few:

Shining
Talisman
Salem's Lot
The Deadzone
Night shift
Carrie
The Dark Half
Needful things
Different Seasons
Tommyknockers

I guess a top ten, but I am leaving out a lot of good books that people have mentioned.

The Talisman was a hard book for me to get into, but at the end I was sorry it was over. Love that book!!!!!!!!!1

Horrorfiend
05-04-2004, 02:05 AM
There's a new addition to The Gunslinger?

My fave King books so far are:

The Stand (my favorite story of all time)

The Talisman (great mix of horror and fantasy)

Black House (only have a few more pages to go and it's wonderful)

Eyes of the Dragon (great fantasy)

Salems Lot (best vampire book I've read)

Misery (very realistic horror)

Rage (luckily I got a copy of this. It's out of print now)

HighPriestWise
05-17-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, those are some kickass books!!

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

wufongtan
05-19-2004, 10:08 PM
All of them, the mans a genius, I know there would be 1,000's of "serious" authirs out there who would say otherwise. but i jus tthink that is just professonal jealousy

orangestar
05-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Arioch
You didnt like IT?:confused: How??? And pet sematary DID OWN!!

'It' was just so boring to me! I couldnt get into it, and the movie sucked balls to. There was like 5 minutes of scary-ness (Tim Curry can work magic!) then it got back to being boring.

I own the book, maybe I should try to read it again.

and yes, Pet Sematary OWNED! I have read it about 30 times, I love it more everytime!

Sistinas
05-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Its so hard to pick a favorite with King.
I love The Dark Tower series,The Stand is amazing,and his short stories rule.Hes my favorite author of all time.

kpropain
05-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Sistinas
Its so hard to pick a favorite with King.
I love The Dark Tower series,The Stand is amazing,and his short stories rule.Hes my favorite author of all time.

I have to totally agree about the short stories.

Rage
Apt Pupil
The Long Walk
= Pwn

Voorhees
05-27-2004, 02:08 PM
I have just bought "From a Buick 8" but no one of you mention it, so i don't know if it is worth reading? It was the only King-book they had that day.

swiftdeath
05-27-2004, 03:33 PM
Right now I am reading Different Seasons. My favorite so far is It, but that will probably change. I've only read about 4 so far...

theshadow
06-12-2004, 07:25 PM
the stand is my all time favorite book. I really loved all of them but a few.i'm just rereading bag of bones, which i liked a lot

Freddy Krueger.
06-15-2004, 07:47 PM
It
Storm Of The Century
The Dark Half
The Stand
Danse Macabre
The Talisman
Salem's Lot
The Shining
Pet Sematary
Night Shift
Nightmares and Dreamscapes
Skeleton Crew
Desperation
Misery
Firestarter
Needful Things
Bag Of Bones
Dark Tower Series
Green Mile
Four Past Midnight
Dream Catcher

In that order.

Steelsymth
06-15-2004, 08:42 PM
I like The Stand, Graveyard Shift, Everythings Evenual

Miss Britt
06-17-2004, 10:42 PM
IT
Tommyknocker
Christine
Dreamcatcher
The Stand
The Shining
Misery
salems lot

KRUGERKID13
06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
carrie (all time fav. book)

Miss Britt
06-22-2004, 12:13 AM
forgot Cujo

myster6
06-22-2004, 05:36 PM
the only books SK books that I liked were The Stand and Dead Zone. Salem's Lot was ok, but not scary in the least, but it had atmosphere. I couldn't even finish Desperation and Dreamcatcher.

HighPriestWise
06-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Stephen King is cool!

HIGH PRIEST WISE

KRUGERKID13
06-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Stephern King is amazing if not for him who knows where the horror genre may be

thepsychicfetus
07-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Stephen King is great. I live in the northeast and i know of a lot of the places he writes about. But anyway, Im reading the book "Black House" which is a cooperative work by Stephen King and Peter Straub. Its really good and worth checking out. But all time favorite king novel, definately the shining.

Hate_Breeder
07-09-2004, 01:00 AM
Christine and It. Christine being the better of the 2

LeprousHag
07-11-2004, 10:58 PM
i've read most of his books and would have to say 'it' was my favourite. i think king is a genius, i've yet to find any writer who can become each character, make the reader feel as though they know the character personally.
'the stand' was an absolute masterpiece as well. king goes into great detail but is never boring; every bit of information he reveals is relevant to the story.
i enjoyed 'the eyes of the dragon'; it was very unlike anything else he's written.
and i don't think anyone has mentioned 'insomnia' at all. is it because you didn't like it? i found it a very interesting read; i always have to wonder how he comes up with such great stories.

Hate_Breeder
07-11-2004, 11:43 PM
It the movie was worse because so much claymation.:rolleyes:

LeprousHag
07-17-2004, 04:52 AM
i liked tim curry as pennywise, but really, the movie doesn't even come close to the book. i liked the movie when i was a little kid, before i'd read the novel, but i can't force myself to sit through it now.

JSneddon
07-27-2004, 01:52 AM
Misery, Needful Things, The Long Walk

KRUGERKID13
07-27-2004, 09:01 PM
green mile owns too

LilMissScareAll
08-01-2004, 04:04 PM
Carrie.

KRUGERKID13
08-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by LilMissScareAll
Carrie.

damn straight

LilMissScareAll
08-01-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by KRUGERKID13
damn straight

:D I like your Ginger Snaps avatar. :cool:

Mr. Nash
08-03-2004, 08:44 PM
The Dark Half
IT
Storm Of The Century
Green Mile
Dreamcatcher

dantehorrorfan
08-13-2004, 02:22 AM
storm of the ceturey and the green mile

KRUGERKID13
08-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by LilMissScareAll
:D I like your Ginger Snaps avatar. :cool:

i like your may one that movie was awsome

AlexaVoorhees
08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
hmm... The Long Walk

annabel lee
08-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Salem's Lot

The Shining

The Stand: I especially liked the longer version published about 5 yrs ago. This included scenes cut from the original due to the fact King was not a "big" as he is now. The part where Trash meets the man in black has some additional scenes that are very dark. Plus, he has a character with my name: "Nadine, Nadine, I love to love Nadine." This was the first time I had come across a fictional character with my name

It

Desperation

Bag of Bones

I did not like Dreamcatcher, Insomnia or Pet Semitary. My child was the age of the little boy in Pet Semitary when I read it, and it upset me so badly I almost couldn't make myself finish the book.

bloodrayne
08-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Voorhees
I have just bought "From a Buick 8" but no one of you mention it, so i don't know if it is worth reading? It was the only King-book they had that day. Actually...I mentioned it (Second post in this thread)...It was a bit too much like Christine...King said that he was beginning to "rip off" himself, can you blame him? I think he 's done pretty much everything...Must be damned near impossible to squeeze anything completely new out of one brain, after all that has already come from it
Originally posted by LeprousHag
i don't think anyone has mentioned 'insomnia' at all. is it because you didn't like it? i found it a very interesting read; i always have to wonder how he comes up with such great stories. I mentioned Insomnia, too...It was a bit slower than some of his other works, and pretty long..But...Like his others, still pretty kickass
As for how he comes up with his stories...He says that all of his stories come from his fears and his nightmares...He often wakes up from a nightmare, in the middle of the night, and writes down the details on a pad of paper that he keeps beside his bed for that purpose, just so that he won't forget anything in the morning...He is afraid of rats and flying (he was considering a story that involved a doomed flight, the plane is on the verge of crashing, and killer rats come up from the cargo bay...But, that was before he was nearly killed by that idiot in the van)...He ALWAYS puts in 2 threats, think about it sometime, in every story...The Shining had the obvious, but they also had to deal with the boiler about to blow...Cujo, rabid dog, but the boy also was about to die from asphyxiation, due to asthma, the heat, no way to roll down a window..ALL of his stories have more than one element...Stephen King, amazing horror writer, Master Of The Macabre, also happens to be terrified of the dark
Pet Sematary came after his son Owen was born, that's when the fear of losing a child, and trying to deal with such a loss, came to him
Maximum Overdrive was attribituted to the computer age, his fear that they may make humans obsolete, and his paranoia that they may actually gain some type of "intelligence" of their own
the list goes on forever...All of his nightmares and fears...

KRUGERKID13
08-19-2004, 12:38 AM
yeah

carries still his best:p

gnarly
08-26-2004, 03:22 AM
THE SHINING

Egekrusher
08-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by bloodrayne
... I mentioned Insomnia, too...

I absolutely LOVED that book, but it's not my favorite. It's my second favorite. It explores an aspect of the Dark Tower that we haven't seen before.

Haunted
09-02-2004, 04:16 AM
The Shining and The Stand. Both of these books are totally powerful. They took me on a wild ride.

ForsakenSandwic
09-24-2004, 04:55 PM
Okay, the Regulatesr, and the Tommyknockers KICKED ALL ASS, no matter what you say. My favorites would DEFFINATLY have to be It, Tommyknockers, (even though poor Pete, *cries*) and and and, *strokes chin in thought* The Shinning, and I think... that could be it... *shrug*

lethahomicidal
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Bag of bones is my fav king book.

phantomstranger
10-24-2004, 11:24 PM
1. Salem's Lot
2.The Gunslinger:Dark Tower 1
3 Pet Semetary

HighPriestWise
10-29-2004, 08:45 PM
YEAh, I LIKE ALL THE SHIT HE WRITES!!

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

I,ZOMBIE
10-30-2004, 11:17 AM
salems lot and the stand were okay. i heard the dark tower was good, but i really don't like him at all. i plan on reading the shining soon. i like old pulp horror. classics.

HighPriestWise
10-30-2004, 12:24 PM
YEAH,THAT'S THE GOOD SHIT.

HAIL SATAN!!

kpropain
10-30-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by HighPriestWise
YEAH,THAT'S THE GOOD SHIT.

HAIL SATAN!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/kpropain/FLAME%20PICS/drugs6.jpg

HighPriestWise
10-30-2004, 07:36 PM
I DON'T DO NO FUCKING DRUGS!!

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

Sistinas
10-30-2004, 07:53 PM
YEAh

Look at that!A small h!A small glimmer of hope that this fucktard might figure out his caps lock.

HighPriestWise
10-30-2004, 09:16 PM
OH,GO FUCK YOUR MAMMA!!

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

Sistinas
10-30-2004, 09:21 PM
OH,GO FUCK YOUR MAMMA!!

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

OMG, your posts are so lame its the funniest shit I've ever seen!!!!!LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HighPriestWise
10-31-2004, 02:48 PM
WHAT IS SO FUCKING FUNNY ABOUT MY FUCKING POSTS????

HAIL SATAN!!!
HIGH PRIEST WISE

horror_master
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
My favioarte Steven kings books are the ones wth his short stories in them. Basicfallly all the books he has out with short storeis in them. I like them the best.

horrifying
11-11-2004, 09:14 AM
IT is my personal favorite

ButterflyKate09
11-13-2004, 11:43 AM
My fave king books is Carrie it is the bomb!!!!!

HighPriestWise
11-14-2004, 09:48 AM
YEAH,I FUCKING AGREE,IT"S A FUCKING GOOD BOOK!!

HIGH PRIEST WISE

MichaelMyers
11-15-2004, 11:52 AM
I've been reading Cujo. Takes about a hundred pages to get to the good stuff.

urgeok
11-15-2004, 06:39 PM
salems lot is the only one i like ...
And I've read a few dozen of them