PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Nosferatu

_____V_____
08-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Aug 27, 2007

Source - Fangoria Radio

Genre fave Bruce Campbell dropped a bombshell on FANGORIA RADIO listeners the other night: The actor has turned down appearing in BUBBA NOSFERATU, the long-mooted sequel/prequel to his and director Don (PHANTASM) Coscarelli’s 2002 sleeper hit BUBBA HO-TEP.

You read that right: The EVIL DEAD actor won’t be growing out his sideburns and donning the white jumpsuit again to play the geriatric Elvis Presley for the follow-up. The reason, Campbell said, had to do with the screenplay by Coscarelli and co-scripter Stephen Romano, which features Elvis, both in the past and present, battling a clan of Las Vegas vampires and dealing with the machinations of his duplicitous manager, Colonel Tom Parker (to be played by Oscar nominee Paul Giamatti, a big Coscarelli/Campbell fan).

“[BUBBA NOSFERATU] is dead to me,” Campbell said flatly. “It sleeps with the fishes. Don Coscarelli is a very passionate filmmaker. We got to a few points [developing the screenplay] that we couldn’t reconcile. I want to keep our friendship, so we parted ways. So I’m not part of that project.”

So will BUBBA NOSFERATU move forward without Campbell? Coscarelli told Fango that he is considering recasting the film with another actor whom the fans would embrace, but he admits that it will be a tall order to fill Campbell’s shoes.

Campbell, meanwhile, commented on another sequel that genre buffs got excited about a few years back, the proposed FREDDY VS. JASON. VS. ASH movie that former New Line exec Jeff Katz pushed for. The major mashup never happened, Campbell said, because “it blows! You really think Ash would be allowed to kill Freddy and Jason off? We [including EVIL DEAD creator Sam Raimi] didn’t have any control on the project, New Line did, so there was no reason to do it.”

FREDDY VS. JASON. VS. ASH has since been reborn as an upcoming comics miniseries from Wildstorm.

As far as a fourth EVIL DEAD movie is concerned, Campbell added, “Raimi still talks about it, but he’s in no rush to do it with everything else he has going on. Sam jokes, ‘Maybe we can do another EVIL DEAD when we’re 70.’ ”

The squared-jawed horror star also put the kibosh on the EVIL DEAD remake reports. “The feedback from the fans was 90 percent negative,” Campbell noted of the once-announced redux. “It’s going nowhere. The remake has fizzled fast at Sam’s company.”

Not everything was a downer out of Campbell’s lips, though he did call his Sci Fi Channel movie ALIEN APOCALYPSE a “piece of crap” and MAN WITH THE SCREAMING BRAIN, which he directed in Bulgaria, “el stinko. I failed in some respects.” On the upbeat side, the actor proudly revealed that his hit USA Network summer series, BURN NOTICE, in which he plays an old spy gone to seed, has been picked up for a second season. “We start shooting in January, and the show will be back on the air in June 2008.”

Campbell’s agent and publisher want him to pen a third book as well, as a follow-up to his best sellers IF CHINS COULD KILL: CONFESSIONS OF A B MOVIE ACTOR and MAKE LOVE! THE BRUCE CAMPBELL WAY. “All I have is a title at this point,” Campbell teased. “It’s called SURROUNDED BY IDIOTS: WHY YOU SHOULD BE GLAD I’M NOT EMPEROR OF THE WORLD.”

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=4872

the_real_linda
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

jenna26
08-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I was still holding out hope that this was just a rumor.....:( So disappointing.

Roderick Usher
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
It only makes sense. The Bubba Nosferatu story was always supposed to take place in New Orleans while the King was filming his best film KING CREOLE. This would require the lead to be young-Elvis thin and handsome...something that is not really a possibility with Campbell at his age and size.

I love Bubba Ho-Tep and found Campbell's performance to be the finest of his career, but he's just the wrong guy for this project.

phantomstranger
08-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Well...don't that just suck

Freak
08-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I kind of glad and kinda let down at the same time.I reallt like Bubba Ho-Tep, but this other one did sound pretty lame.

Am happy there not doing another Evil Dead or a remake caude they both would have been crap.

As much as I would like to see a Freddy vs Jason vs Ash movie, Bruce's is right, it just wouldn't have made sense.

Kane_Hodder
08-29-2007, 10:12 AM
Bummer....

the_real_linda
08-29-2007, 10:36 AM
It only makes sense. The Bubba Nosferatu story was always supposed to take place in New Orleans while the King was filming his best film KING CREOLE. This would require the lead to be young-Elvis thin and handsome...something that is not really a possibility with Campbell at his age and size.

I love Bubba Ho-Tep and found Campbell's performance to be the finest of his career, but he's just the wrong guy for this project.

i didnt know the finer details so now i agree..... wonder whos taking over....

bruce is doing 'burn notice' and the role of sam seems to fit him fine since he just drinks and hangs about in Hawaiian shirts

Zero
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
sad about bubba news - happy about jason/freddy/ash squashing

_____V_____
11-03-2008, 01:15 AM
October 30, 2008

Paul Giamatti has announced big news on the Bubba Nosferatu front, with Ron Perlman apparently replacing Bruce Campbell as Elvis in the horror flick.

For those unaware of Nosferatu, it's the proposed sequel to Don Coscarreli's cult hit Bubba Ho-Tep, about an aging Elvis teaming up with a black JFK to fight an ancient Egyptian Mummy.

Speaking to Ain't It Cool News, Giamatti revealed that Campell turned down the opportunity to reprise his role, but they had a more than capable replacement in the shape of Hellboy himself, Perlman.

"He's a really, really great actor, and incredibly flexible," Giamatti said of Perlman. "I really can't wait to see the guy do it."

As for his own role in the film, Giamatti will be working behind the scenes through his production company, and also playing the role of Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis's infamous manager.

Speaking of the project, Giamatti said, "Not only are these wonderful genre movies, but he [Coscarelli] is actually taking a weird, interesting take on the whole Elvis myth.

"It's got a lot of stuff about Col. Parker being responsible for a lot of what happened to Elvis and kind of literally making him a vampire in some ways, you know? A kind of a blood sucker."

It certainly sounds as strange as the original, and while we're sad to see Campbell depart, with Giamatti and Perlman starring and Coscarelli back in the director's chair, Bubba Nosferatu is shaping up nicely.

Phalanx
11-03-2008, 01:51 AM
The only thing that's good news about this, is that it may indicate Campbell is busy doing other movies...other than, fuck it.
I don't hate perlman at all, I just hate it when this happens.

The_Return
11-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Weird casting...

I like Perlman, but I just can't see him as Elvis - especially after the brilliant job Bruce Campbell did in the first movie.

Still, Giamatti as Col. Parker is an inspired choice...as much as I'd rather see Campbell back, I'll still be keeping a lookout for this one.

The Photographer
11-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I think this will be a great film. Giamatti as Col. Parker is by far the best choice I could've pictured (even though Randy Quaid was awesome in the made for tv movie). As far as Pearlman probably one actor I enjoy watching then just about anyone else (If you haavnt seen it check out Last Supper he is terrific). Does anyone know if Kurtzman is going to be involved with the makeup.

jenna26
11-04-2008, 09:56 AM
The only thing that's good news about this, is that it may indicate Campbell is busy doing other movies...other than, fuck it.
I don't hate perlman at all, I just hate it when this happens.

I agree. I like Perlman as well but, I don't know....this does put me off a bit. But I'm sure I will still check it out. I do like Paul Giamatti.

_____V_____
08-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Don Coscarelli is finally looking to get Bubba Nosferatu, the sequel to Bubba Ho-tep, off the ground.

"Well, I have this window that’s about to open,” revealed actor Ron Perlman, who will be replacing Bruce Campbell as Elvis. “I’ll be done shooting [his cable series] SONS OF ANARCHY in September, and we’re hoping to get into production on BUBBA in my hiatus between seasons two and three. I just spoke to [actor] Paul Giamatti [set to play Elvis’ manager, Colonel Tom Parker] and Don Coscarelli this morning, and we’re just moving the ball down the field, trying to get her done.”

They add that Perlman will likely reteam with his I SELL THE DEAD co-star Angus Scrimm. Scrimm is being recruited to play a Boris Karloff-like horror star who Elvis meets up with (pre-HO-TEP) in Los Vegas on the set of a vampire movie.

zombie ash
09-01-2009, 12:28 PM
fucking pointless without bruce "dont call me ash" camble.
THE BEST ACTOR EVER!
so i hope they dont go through with it. it would have been a good one to see. but since no bruce then i want it to be a no go.