THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS
DIRTY PRETTY THINGS
FINDING NEMO
IN AMERICA
LOST IN TRANSLATION

I'm surprised Cold Mountain didn't get nominated for Best Pic

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-27-2004, 09:21 AM
If it wasn't for that piece of sentimentalist drap Seabiscuit, all the Best Pic nominees would be watchable for a change.

It's a tough one on Directors--Jackson, Eastwood, and Weir all did amazing jobs.

I guess I'll go for LOTR for Best Picture, simply because Jackson is a genre vet, but I usually have a HUGE problem with a movie containing this many digital effects being nominated. They should redeive video game awards, not movie awards.

I've heard Charleze Theron did an amazing job in Monster, but the Oscars always go ape shit when a pretty girl gains weight. Hollywood is breathless when a beautiful girl purposely makes herself ugly. SO I'm going for Naom9i Watts, she's been in the business for yrs and has done some amazing stuff, and she was BRILLIANT in Mulholland Dr, no matter if the movie made any sense or not. She's even good when she's making laughable crap like The Ring.

As much as I love the guy, Johnny Depp really doesn't desrve a nomination. And I'm happy Cold Mountain wasn't up for Pic---it was a horrible, sentimentalist, Harlequine peice of fluff.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
As much as I love the guy, Johnny Depp really doesn't desrve a nomination.

Agreed. What was so great about his performance or the movie? It was just a summer blockbuster, no more, no less. Why not nominate Will Smith for Bad Boys II?:rolleyes:

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:27 AM
I've heard Charleze Theron did an amazing job in Monster, but the Oscars always go ape shit when a pretty girl gains weight. Hollywood is breathless when a beautiful girl purposely makes herself ugly.
Doesn't matter. They know how good a job she did. Her performance in Monster is good enough to overcome Hollywood bullshit.
Besides, she looked like that because that's how the real person looked.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:28 AM
It was just a summer blockbuster, no more, no less.
It's a nomination for the actor, not the movie

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-27-2004, 09:29 AM
Exactly, Avenger. Couldn't have put it better.

Did you know that Ron Shelton wrote BB 2, BTW? WTF?

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:30 AM
I've got a great reason for not nominating Will Smith. While there may not have been anything SPECIAL about Johnny Depp, Will Smith and everything else in that movie sucked hard.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
Agreed. What was so great about his performance or the movie? It was just a summer blockbuster, no more, no less. Why not nominate Will Smith for Bad Boys II?:rolleyes:

Guys, read the rest of what I wrote. Namely the "What was so great about his performance" and the "why not nominate Will Smith" parts.

I know the movie wasn't nominated, I read your post thoroughly.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-27-2004, 09:34 AM
I think one reason they gave so many nominations to stuff like Pirates is because hardly anyone watched the Oscars last year, so they nominated a lot of stuff to pull in the family crowd. I think middle America was really offended last year after Michael Moore's speech and Polanski (a wanted man) winning an Oscar, so this year the Academy wants to smooth thing over with a family-friendly awards show.

You're right--despite Depp's enigmatic performance (good, not brilliant), Pirates was no different than a handful of other big budget movies.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I posted about the non-Will Smith part, too, 00

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Sam The Egg
I posted about the non-Will Smith part, too, 00

I see that. Cool (I didn't actually see BBII, I was just using that as an example). You just called me out on the wrong thing earlier.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-27-2004, 09:39 AM
I'm not even so sure POTC is really any better than BB2. If you're the kind of person that likes to watch digital effects and shit blow up, they both deliver the goods. If anything, Ron Shelton's dialogue was better than the stuff in Pirates. I mean, hell, they both sucked, but if you had to pick one over the other on merits of being well made....

Look past Depp's performance, and there was no way I could have sat through that crap.

hellfire1
01-27-2004, 09:39 AM
when exactly is the ceremony airing so i can maybe try and catch it on cable over here ?

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:40 AM
actually, the will smith part was the latter of the two

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
actually, the will smith part was the latter of the two

I meant for calling me out b/c you thought...that I thought the movie itself was nominated.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
but you were talking about the movie being nothing but a summer blockbuster. That has no baring on the performance. The movie could be a shitty January leftover movie and if the performance is good enough for a nomination then it's good enough for a nomination.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:50 AM
but you were talking about the movie being nothing but a summer blockbuster. That has no baring on the performance. The movie could be a shitty January leftover movie and if the performance is good enough for a nomination then it's good enough for a nomination.

"It was just a summer blockbuster, no more, no less" was just my opinion on the movie. That didn't have anything to do with Depp's performance, I just threw that in there. I did say "what was so special about Depp" which was talking about his performance. Sorry for the confusion on that part. I just didn't see anything tremendous about Depp in that film and I think Dr. K has already answered why the nomination was given.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:52 AM
Although that might not be why. There were talks of him getting the Dark Horse nomination back when the movie came out.

It doesn't matter anyways, we all know Bill Murray will get the win

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
how about next we talk about what DIDN'T get nominated for hardly anything. Namely Big Fish. No Man of the Hour nomination? WTF?!

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:54 AM
Although that might not be why. There were talks of him getting the Dark Horse nomination back when the movie came out.

I can see it as the "dark horse" thing too. I really expect Murray to win anyway.

Edit: And Sam the Egg does too.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Personally I think Depp deserves it (the nomination), but I'd have liked to see John Cusack get a nomination for Identity, too.

Did you see Murray's Golden Globes speech? That was a good speech. Although maybe I only thought so because it came after the WORST GODDAMN SPEECH EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SOUND! I'm glad Charlize Theron will win Actress so I don't have to hear Diane Keaton make another shitty speech.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Did you see Murray's Golden Globes speech? That was a good speech. Although maybe I only thought so because it came after the WORST GODDAMN SPEECH EVER IN THE HISTORY OF SOUND! I'm glad Charlize Theron will win Actress so I don't have to hear Diane Keaton make another shitty speech.

It was a funny speech. It was Bill Murray though.

I can't remember who went before him. I had to leave the room for Renee Zellweger though.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Diane Keaton came before him. She won for Something's Gotta Give. It was...GAH! I hate her now.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 10:01 AM
Diane Keaton came before him. She won for Something's Gotta Give. It was...GAH! I hate her now.

Did she keep talking about how old she was and how it was unexpected and that she and Jack's combined age was 125? If so, yeah, it was bad.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-27-2004, 10:01 AM
I would like to see Big Fish nominated, but there was just so much good stuff out this year that there wasn't room for it. I don't say this often, but the Best Pic and Dir nominations this yr are tight.

I'm not saying anything bad about my boy Depp--his performance did save a stinker. But it was an off-kilter performance, not dramatic art.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
yeah, that's the one. Dear GOD why did she have to win?

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 10:03 AM
yeah, that's the one. Dear GOD why did she have to win?

Ok, I quit watching it after a while but was reading about Devito doing something weird but they didn't really describe it. What the hell did he do?

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 10:03 AM
But it was an off-kilter performance, not dramatic art.
One could say the same about Bill Murray. It's not about being dramatic, just about how good they were.

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
Ok, I quit watching it after a while but was reading about Devito doing something weird but they didn't really describe it. What the hell did he do?

I dunno. He gave Michael Douglas the Cecil B. DeMille award, but that's all I know.

StepfatherFan
01-27-2004, 10:33 AM
ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG
Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN
Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION
Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

So, Master and Commander gets a Best picture Nomination and yet, Russell Crowe gets no Best Actor nod? WTF? Oh, and Bill Murray really deserves an Oscar, like a fat man deserves a Big Mac. Give me a fucking break!!! What are these people thinking?

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 12:57 PM
nobody deserves a Big Mac, those things are disgusting.

Vampenguin
05-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Im gonna be on tht list someday...Watch out for me!