PDA

View Full Version : Women Directors...

nightbreed
01-26-2004, 01:32 PM
With all the ovary talk lately i figured id chime in and pose this question-

Why arent we seeing any female directors/ writers of horror films? I mean dont get me wrong, there has definatly been alot of high profile positions involving women in hollywood lately. I seem to be seeing more and more female exec producers and art directors. I mean really when was the last time you even heard of a woman directing? I mean it frustrates me- and im a guy! A simple answer to this question is that we live in a patriachal society, but is that really the only answer? Ladies?

avenger00soul
01-26-2004, 01:36 PM
All three Slumber Party Massacre films were written and directed by women. If you seen these films you would know they are just as bad, if not worse, than any male-directed slasher film.

That should just about wrap up the sexism topic. Women can make the same shitty movies guys can.

bloodrayne
01-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by nightbreed
[B]With all the ovary talk lately i figured id chime in and pose this question-

Why arent we seeing any female directors/ writers of horror films?

Directors...
Drew Barrymore...She was all over her movies...Not horror though...maybe she contributed something behind the scenes in "Scream"...
Penny Marshall...But, again...not horror

Writers...
Anne Rice and Mary Shelley both wrote books that became movies...As well as many other female authors

nightbreed
01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
All three Slumber Party Massacre films were written and directed by women. If you seen these films you would know they are just as bad, if not worse, than any male-directed slasher film.

That should just about wrap up the sexism topic. Women can make the same shitty movies guys can.

holy hell your right. i forgot all about those films. but i wasnt trying to encite a sexist debate in any way i just wanted to know what the everyone thought.

avenger00soul
01-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by nightbreed
holy hell your right. i forgot all about those films. but i wasnt trying to encite a sexist debate in any way i just wanted to know what the everyone thought.

I know you were'nt. That was my response to ALL of these related threads. Sorry.

Here's an example of a good female director: Kathryn Bigelow. She directed the best vampire movie ever, Near Dark. And her writing partner was a man!! OMG, can it be? Women and Men working together and making great things.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-26-2004, 02:11 PM
The original Slumber Party was also written by feminist author Rita Mae Brown--though admittedly she and Amy Holden Jones admit they loaded the movie up with nudity and sleaze because that's what teen males wanted to see. I worked at a video store for a very long time, though, and know that Slumber Party is more often than not rented by females.

Debra Hill helped Carpenter write Halloween, Ginger Snaps was written by a woman, and the similarly-themed The Curse was writted and driected by a woman. The weird vampire movie Blood and Donuts was also done by a woman (Holly Dawson, I believe her name was). AND Ritualistic has a bitchin' poster collection.

Still, it is mainly a male genre, in that most horror films are directed toward a teen male audience.

Curiously enough, an Allan Moore issue of Swamp Thing dealt with lycanthropy as a metaphor for womanhood earlier and as poignantly as either Ginger Snaps or The Curse. I believe the title of the issue was even The Curse.

avenger00soul
01-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
The original Slumber Party was also written by feminist author Rita Mae Brown--though admittedly she and Amy Holden Jones admit they loaded the movie up with nudity and sleaze because that's what teen males wanted to see.

I was saving that part in case any certain feminist on here had a negative reply.

Dr.Kelvinstein
01-26-2004, 02:47 PM
Sorry for telegraphing the last punch of your left/right combo, dude. I'm sure you can still score a KO, though.

Psychoholic
01-27-2004, 01:24 AM
Doris Wishman :-)

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 08:14 AM
Mary Harron wrote and directed American Psycho. (screenplay, not book)

Sam The Egg
01-27-2004, 08:18 AM
also, if it counts, I heard one of the Wachowski's (Matrix trilogy) is soon to be a woman

Haunted
01-27-2004, 08:21 AM
I was saving that part in case any certain feminist on here had a negative reply.

I have never excused other women from the degredation of women. We're just as guilty. Save your ammo.

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Haunted
I have never excused other women from the degredation of women. We're just as guilty. Save your ammo.

You weren't the "certain feminist" I was talking about. Glad to see you agree with me though.

StepfatherFan
01-27-2004, 10:58 AM

In case your talking about me, I'm not a feminist. I can see that you have been spending too much time chatting with Sam. Hell, pretty soon you will stoop to his level compleatly and call my son a "cocksmoker" as he did. Wow, that is so much better than talking about gender issues. LOLOLOL

So sad

avenger00soul
01-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by StepfatherFan
Hell, pretty soon you will stoop to his level compleatly and call my son a "cocksmoker" as he did.

You asked me to delete the post where that was said (and I did). Why would you re-post such a thing? It’s like you’re BEGGING them to fight with you. And why would you ever imply that I would call your son a cocksmoker? I’ve done nothing to you.:confused:

Haunted
01-27-2004, 11:53 AM
You weren't the "certain feminist" I was talking about. Glad to see you agree with me though.

...Sorry, Avenger. To be honest, I don't even know enough about women horror directors to even comment. I was trying to learn a thing or two. :)

schizombie
04-23-2005, 09:11 PM
I've been working on a list of female horror directors; it's almost at 150 now. I did include a number of short films, and some of them I don't know how available they've been outside of film festivals, but I think most of them are feature length and on the Internet Movie Database. I haven't included female horror directors who have only done episodes of TV horror series, unless they have also done short or feature films, but I might change that.

The list goes from Stephanie Aldridge (who might become the most prolific female horror director since Roberta Findlay and Doris Wishman) to Jae-yeon Yun. Part of it has been published in a small zine, Ax Wound: Gender and the Horror Genre.

There are some I haven't included yet, because I couldn't tell from the names if they were men or women (as a Chris, I identify). Maybe people here might know? Some of them are listed on the IMDb as female, but the IMDb does have a lot of mistakes in the gender area.

- Nichola Bruce - Wings of Death (1985) {with Michael Coulson} {short}
- Rene Daalder - Hysteria (1998); Habitat (1997); Massacre at Central High (1976)
- Jody Fedele - Samuel (2004) {NOT on IMDb} {short}
- Carol Frank - Sorority House Massacre (1987)
- Isiling Mack-Nataf - Mark of Lilith, The (1986) {with Fionda and Gladwin}
- Tracy Jenkins - Fate: Part I (2004) {with Thomas Hamilton} {short}; Fate: Redux (2004) {short}
- Elly Kenner - Black Room, The (1984)
- Yu-Jin Kim - Yeongung yeonga (1986)
- Beki Laws - Hay Fever (2003) {with Anthony Carpendale} {short} {NOT on IMDb}; Late Night Shopping (2003)_ {with Anthony Carpendale} {short} {NOT on IMDb}
- Jacqui McAlpine - Recycled (2002) {short} {NOT on IMDb}
- Dominique Milano - To Kill a Stranger (????) {NOT on IMDb}
- Michele Pacitto - Mistress of Seduction (1999) {NOT on IMDb}
- Yves Simoneau - Intensity (1997) (TV); "Night Visions" (2001) TV_Series (episode "The Passenger List") (episode "Rest Stop")
- Michio Yamamoto - Yureiyashiki no Kyofu: Chi O Suu Ningyoo (1970); Noroi no yakata: Chi o sû me (1971); Chi o suu bara (1974)

Female writers who have had stories or novels adapted into horror films, and female horror screenwriters also deserve more attention, but I haven't started on a list for that.

zwoti
04-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by schizombie