PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Vodstok
09-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Read this if you feel like it:
http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/E/EU_MICROSOFT?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Now, tell me if I have misinterpreted what I read, but Microsoft just got slapped with a $613 fine by the EU because it includes Media Player as part of windows?

And they even acknowledge that it doesnt cost extra, and doesnt even need to be used, but supposedly MS is trying to muscle its way in because it offers free software as oart of it's os?

Does that mean if you bought a Mac and they included media software, they could fine Apple?

It seems completly absurd to me, and i really cannot comprehend how in hell they get away with charges like this. Its like saying that Hondas have radios, and you cannot buy a honda without a radio, so they are using unfair business practices. Now, you could choose not to use the radio, or even replace ti with one you already have, but they are going to get fined anyway.

Please tell me i am missing som ehuge, big-picture detail here that makes this bullshit make sense.

_____V_____
09-17-2007, 11:04 AM
This is utter bullshit!!

It is ridiculous to even think that an operating system will be complete WITHOUT a media player bundled into it, now that technology has come so far that one of those is an absolute NECESSITY and an integral part of every OS.

EU has seriously lost its marbles. I feel sorry for the European people now...they might have to pay extra for a media player in their OS software.:rolleyes: I just hope they dont include this absurd trend everywhere.

scarecrow666
09-17-2007, 11:04 AM
Read this if you feel like it:
http://news.wired.com/dynamic/stories/E/EU_MICROSOFT?SITE=WIRE&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Now, tell me if I have misinterpreted what I read, but Microsoft just got slapped with a $613 fine by the EU because it includes Media Player as part of windows?

And they even acknowledge that it doesnt cost extra, and doesnt even need to be used, but supposedly MS is trying to muscle its way in because it offers free software as oart of it's os?

Does that mean if you bought a Mac and they included media software, they could fine Apple?

It seems completly absurd to me, and i really cannot comprehend how in hell they get away with charges like this. Its like saying that Hondas have radios, and you cannot buy a honda without a radio, so they are using unfair business practices. Now, you could choose not to use the radio, or even replace ti with one you already have, but they are going to get fined anyway.

Please tell me i am missing som ehuge, big-picture detail here that makes this bullshit make sense.

Thats fucked up.
The EU is a waste of time,there all a bunch of jobsworths. As far as i know Windows OS has always included a media player 95 onwards.
I never use it but its besides the point.

Kane_Hodder
09-17-2007, 11:09 AM
EU must have run out of money, so they figured out a way of getting some.
I hate Bill Gates, but this is unbelievable.

Vodstok
09-17-2007, 11:12 AM
EU must have run out of money, so they figured out a way of getting some.
I hate Bill Gates, but this is unbelievable.

Well, I'm glad that so far i dont seem to have missed the boat.

And that is definately the point there, personal feelings about the company or its people aside, you cant just slap people with fines because they have deep pockets, especially on bullshit precidents.

they cant even claim that it takes up too much space anymore. Most new computers have between 80 and 200 gigs of storage (and if you pay a little extra, you can damn near reach a terabyte for under a grand), and mediaplayer 10 takes up a whopping 7.9 megs.

Despare
09-17-2007, 11:15 AM
The media player is a PART OF THE OS! It's "Windows Media Player", and if they didn't include it it's still a free download.

Psycom5k
09-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah well, I'm actually not sure where I stand with this.
On 1 hand, bill gates is getting screwed, but on the other its for total bullshit.
So all in all, unless this really effects me personally I don't care much.

_____V_____
09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
"Good morning, Sir. If you wish to have Windows Vista installed in your system, I can offer you the newest version, v. 10, of the Windows Media Player for only $99.99 extra."

Nice selling eh? Bleh...:mad:

Disease
09-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Thats fucked up.
The EU is a waste of time,there all a bunch of jobsworths. As far as i know Windows OS has always included a media player 95 onwards.
I never use it but its besides the point.

What do use instead?

I've tried a lot of alternatives but haven't liked them much....

Disease
09-17-2007, 11:18 AM
but you get free upgrades on the net, so what's the deal?

Psycom5k
09-17-2007, 11:20 AM
The other companies are probably just crying because they aren't making as much as MS

scarecrow666
09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
What do use instead?

I've tried a lot of alternatives but haven't liked them much....

I use VLC mainly. And a free copy of PowerDVD*cough*;)
Just looked through my All Programs and i noticed i have Google Video Player , i forgot about that, i dont think ive used that one........Ill let you know what its like.

Vodstok
09-17-2007, 12:03 PM
The funny thing is, the first anti-trust suit they were slapped with was ove rincluding IE as part of windows, which was equal bullshit because that was windows 98, and ie had been integrated into Explorer, which is *HOW* you use windows....

The funny thing is, it IS bullshit, but what is $613 mill to a company that earned of $14 BILLION last year?

neverending
09-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Well, perhaps Steve Jobs got to them- Mac OS does not include a media player- you have to download iTunes & Quiktime.

As for alternatives to WMP- Winamp works great. It's my default media player. I rarely use WMP.

Psycom5k
09-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Well, perhaps Steve Jobs got to them- Mac OS does not include a media player- you have to download iTunes & Quiktime.

As for alternatives to WMP- Winamp works great. It's my default media player. I rarely use WMP.

I use winamp for music and online radio, and Divx for video. used to use BSplyer instead of Divx but they started adding in adware with the program and made it necessary for you to use the adware otherwise you couldn't use the program.

Vodstok
09-17-2007, 04:54 PM

That sth efunny thing, people hate Bill Gates because he is a rich asshole...

Steve Jobs isnt as rich, but he is a MUCH bigger asshole.

ManchestrMorgue
09-18-2007, 12:41 PM

Technically, OS X might not include iTunes/Quicktime, but if you buy a Mac, the iLife software package is included. And this includes iTunes and Quicktime software. So while it is technically separate from the OS X install, it comes with every Mac sold.

Vodstok
09-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Does linux include a media player? It really does seem like fining someone for including a cd player in a car. its a feature, its a REASON to buy. Features can be ignored, or deleted. Its not like the OS is going to catch your pc on fire if you remove it...