PDA

View Full Version : 1408

IDrinkYourBlood
06-21-2007, 06:39 PM
You do not know how stoked I am for this movie. Seriously, My favorite actor in my favorite genre! How could it get any better, this one Im deffinitly buying popcorn and pop for. And when I buy popcorn and pop you know its a huge movie that Im stoked for when I drop 15 bux on junk food that I cant even finish. Anybody else seeing this movie?

Kemal
06-23-2007, 03:19 AM
The short story scared the hell out of me.

I don't think any movie could do it justice.

IDrinkYourBlood
06-24-2007, 09:38 AM
OH man this movie blew me away! It was so good and scary and you just didnt know what would happen next. John Cusack is awsome in this movie. 5/5. Secound best movie of '07. I suggest you go see it tonight.

alkytrio666
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
The short story scared the hell out of me.

I don't think any movie could do it justice.
I thought the same thing; the short story is one of my favorite King writings. Saw it last night, and it was the best Stephen King adaptation ever put to screen.

And yeah, it's scary as hell.

nightchild
06-24-2007, 06:39 PM
I agree. One of the best horror movies I have seen recently. I'm a big Stephen King fan and I thought the film was well done. One of my favorite touches was the door that led to todash darkenss in the burned out room. Very Dark Tower- ish. Now I pose a question to you a friend asked me after seeing the movie; At what point would you have gotten the hell out of that room?

Shady
06-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Damn, I guess I shouldn't ever watch a movie again when Im high. Saw it Friday and I thought it was decent but most definately not scary at all. Seemed almost more of a comedy to me. But I cant have much say in that considering my condition, not to mention the group of black people behind me who laughed every 5 minutes and wouldnt shut the hell up.

alkytrio666
06-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Damn, I guess I shouldn't ever watch a movie again when Im high. Saw it Friday and I thought it was decent but most definately not scary at all. Seemed almost more of a comedy to me. But I cant have much say in that considering my condition, not to mention the group of black people behind me who laughed every 5 minutes and wouldnt shut the hell up.
...and the point of mentioning they were black was relevant because...?

Angra
06-25-2007, 12:15 PM

You know how black people are.. :rolleyes:

They wont shut up.

*puts on klan hood and walks out to set a cross on fire...*

Pardon my dark humor.

I'll do better tomorrow, I promise. :rolleyes:

Shady
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM

Lol, wow man. Dont even start a war about racism. I am in no way being racist. Me, as well as everyone else can say that majority of the time people are causing noise in a theatre they are usually black. Thats not being racist in any way, it's just making a point. If they were white behind me I would have said a group of white people. I know you are just trying to start something so just please shut your mouth.

Gemini_Moon_4_ever
06-25-2007, 12:46 PM
Lol, wow man. Dont even start a war about racism. I am in no way being racist. Me, as well as everyone else can say that majority of the time people are causing noise in a theatre they are usually black. Thats not being racist in any way, it's just making a point. If they were white behind me I would have said a group of white people. I know you are just trying to start something so just please shut your mouth.

You are an idiot.

And a biggot.

Shady
06-25-2007, 12:55 PM
You are an idiot.

And a biggot.

Explain? Why is that? I bet you cannot name one reason....Am I not allowed to make a point or a statement. Stop sticking up for shit that you cannot back up.

monalisa
06-25-2007, 01:53 PM
I think 1408 looks very good! I really like John Cusack too! Haven't seen it yet, but am looking forward to it!

alkytrio666
06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
You'll love it, Mona. I really can't recommend this flick enough.

And I like Cusack, too, and he puts on an excellent performance.

SodaGirl
06-25-2007, 02:59 PM
I love John Cusack and try to see everything he's in. I also enjoy King's work, so this flick was a given. Cusack's acting was the best part for me. I enjoyed the story and got to jump a few times. So yeah, pretty decent, and as I posted in the "last movie seen" thread, I give it 7/10.

alkytrio666
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
SodaGirl: Where are you at in Iowa, if you don't mind me asking? I'm moving out there (Iowa City) next year to be a Freshman at the U of I.

Vodstok
06-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Black people being loud in a theater is a stereotype. Like all stereotypes, there is some truth to it, but they are sweeping generalizations about a groupbased on a select few.

Just like saying someone who thinks black people are loud in theaters is a biggot. Perhaps most of the black peiople he knows or have been exposed tyo ARE loud in theaters. Most white people I know are WAY to sensitive about the feelings of other races. But again, that is a stereotype ;)

Anyway. I thought the movie was decent, of course cusack's acting was great, and he went a long way to sell what i thought were some pretty mediocre scares. However, the tension and atmosphere was greta, the scares just didnt deliver on the promise the atmosphere made.

alkytrio666
06-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Black people being loud in a theater is a stereotype. Like all stereotypes, there is some truth to it, but they are sweeping generalizations about a groupbased on a select few.

Just like saying someone who thinks black people are loud in theaters is a biggot. Perhaps most of the black peiople he knows or have been exposed tyo ARE loud in theaters. Most white people I know are WAY to sensitive about the feelings of other races. But again, that is a stereotype ;)

Anyway. I thought the movie was decent, of course cusack's acting was great, and he went a long way to sell what i thought were some pretty mediocre scares. However, the tension and atmosphere was greta, the scares just didnt deliver on the promise the atmosphere made.
The point was that it was completely irrelevant.

It would be like me saying: I went to the theater and bought a ticket for a movie. The ticket-seller was white. Then I watched the movie, and I really liked it.

It was a pointless addition of a detail, that was all I was saying.

Shazbut
06-27-2007, 11:16 PM

It would be like me saying: I went to the theater and bought a ticket for a movie. The ticket-seller was white. Then I watched the movie, and I really liked it.

Agreed - totally, absolutely, utterly, definitely!

Shazbut
06-27-2007, 11:29 PM

So.. you were high? On what? Are you perfectly sure the people behind you were black? Could they have been purple or cerise, even? I know a lot of purple people who happen to be noisy, but I do not know if their colour is relevant or not - after all, I have a tendancy to stare at purple people so one could assume that I am a very rude person. And white. And my house is pink. And my dog has the same ginger hair colour as me but I dont know if that makes him a copy cat??!!! :confused:

um..... that makes me a rude, white person, who lives in a pink house with a ginger dog, who is possibly a copy cat - what a colourful and surreal world I live in - indeed!

scream!
07-06-2007, 04:17 AM
1408 ey... saw it on some website the other day. Reminds me of the shining but theres no wife and son to make it more interesting.

Not my cup of tee..pretty boring. The scary parts weren't really scary because they were either too predictable or took so long to happen.

5/10

Angra
07-06-2007, 04:22 AM
To me it has been one of the best horror movie experiences of 2007.

Burning in Hell
07-06-2007, 05:35 AM

I think that you are seeing a bit too much in this statement. Most people say things like these without even noticing them, and it has a lot more to do with social mechanisms than racism. Most human beings have a sense of belonging to one "social group", and in situations involving people from another "group", they'll usually mention that other group just to mark the difference and convey information to listeners.

Take the opposite situation in a movie theater, and you'll get 99 % of the time black people telling their friends "man, these white dudes were soooo annoying!". People of average built would also mention "these annoying fat guys", whereas gays might talk about "these loud-mouthed straight guys and their girlfriends" (and vice-versa of course). The same even goes for fashion styles, if the guys annoying you at the movie theater are metalheads, or jocks, or goths, etc., and you're not, you WILL mention that fact nearly everytime, and the doesn't mean that you hate metalheads, jocks or goths.

neverending
07-06-2007, 07:51 AM
And now back to the film...

I might go see this on Alky's recommendation, because I know he has a deep background in horror films, and if it scared him, it's got to be good.

Great choice of school, BTW, Alky- too bad Kurt's gone.

Shadow
07-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Is the story also called 1408 or does it have a different title just I would like to find it and read it and then watch the film.

Angra
07-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Is the story also called 1408 or does it have a different title just I would like to find it and read it and then watch the film.

http://www.amazon.com/Everythings-Eventual-Stephen-King/dp/1416524355/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6232236-4124740?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183740924&sr=1-1

Doc Faustus
07-06-2007, 09:09 AM
It had a lot of good scares, a nice thematic core, great acting, and it was legitimately Dantesque, which is rare in horror. A couple things that should be scary feel almost comical, but the scary ones are scary and the characterization is great. It's one of the most literary horror films I've seen in awhile, and does so while being warm and human instead of pretentious, like Saw's Existentialist and Artaud riffs.

_____V_____
07-06-2007, 09:30 AM
I ll just quote myself from the Last Seen Movie thread (page 1704), since it got buried under countless other posts...

1408. 07/10

Excellent spooky entertainer with a good dose of bumpy-jumpy scares thrown in. Direction is great, atmosphere is taut and pacy, and Cusack delivers as usual.

Most of you know the plot already, and I aint saying more cuz it will spoil the movie for you.

Just go watch it. You ll love it!:D

Shadow
07-06-2007, 10:43 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Everythings-Eventual-Stephen-King/dp/1416524355/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6232236-4124740?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183740924&sr=1-1

Thank you
That story and more yay more reading for the bus.

novakru
07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
I ll just quote myself from the Last Seen Movie thread (page 1704), since it got buried under countless other posts...

LMAO

The_Return
07-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I wasnt impressed at all...I'm actually really surprised so many of you liked it, especially you Alky.

Here's a review that I wrote for another site:

Well, I just got back from seeing the new Stephen King flick, 1408. King can be a cool writer, John Cusack and Samuel L. Jackson usually do a good job and the trailers looked interesting enough, so I was kind of looking forward to it. Aside from some cool set pieces and a decent over-the-top performance from Cusack, 1408 really isn't anything special.

The plot is typical King fare....burnt out writer (Cusack) checks into a supposedly haunted hotel room. The hotel manager (Sam Jackson, still the eternal badass) tries to persuade him to leave by explaining the gruesome history of the room (1408, the film's namesake), but Cusack decides to stay anyway (what else we you expecting?). Things start out normal enough, but things soon start spiraling out of control.

The movie really doesnt have much going for it. The thrills are either nonexistent or have already been spoiled by the trailer, the plot is incredibly predictable, and Cusack plays one of the most pathetic characters ever to carry a horror movie. He starts out decent enough: overly skeptical, a little burnt out...exactly what you'd expect. Despite coming off as king of the cynics, after about 5 minutes in the room, following a couple of eerie but easily explained occurrences, he's reduced to a pathetic, petrified baby. Cusack does a pretty good job with what he's given, but the character is so poorly written that he really doesnt have alot to work with.

The movie is essentially just an excuse to string together a bunch of relatively cool set pieces. I'll admit that the effects are pretty good for the most part, but as much as I like "fluff" entertainment I wish this movie had some kind of substance holding it together.

Overall it's an overlong, pointless and poorly written effort that winds up being more of a disappointment than a truly awful movie. Dont get me wrong, 1408 is far from the worst movie I've ever seen, and there are certainly worse ways to spend a couple hours. If you want to see lots of crazy stuff going down in a hotel room and John Cusack going insane, this is the movie for you. But if you're just looking to be entertained, go see Rise of the Silver Surfer instead...both are pretty mindless, but RotSS manages to be alot of fun, while this just comes off as pointless.

alkytrio666
07-08-2007, 08:16 AM
And now back to the film...

I might go see this on Alky's recommendation, because I know he has a deep background in horror films, and if it scared him, it's got to be good.

Great choice of school, BTW, Alky- too bad Kurt's gone.

Thank you for the double compliment...I'm really getting excited for school, and I'm realizing more and more that Iowa's for me.

And now I'll attempt to explain my recommendation for 1408. In many ways, I actually agree with Return, but through a different perspective. The film was a simple, balls-to-the-wall scare-fest, sometimes even predictably so. But I thought that this point kind of served as a chunk of its elegance. It was a fast-paced, very to-the-point horror thriller, almost in the style of Raimi's Evil Dead films: relentless and quick-witted.

I guess I just needed a movie like this...one that doesn't try to force a psychological twist or a complex puzzle on us, but one that is created solely for the purpose of giving us an hour and a half of sheer madness, if only for the pure joy of being scared.

It was all just very fun for me; picture The Shining on speed.

_____V_____
07-08-2007, 09:19 AM
The film was a simple, balls-to-the-wall scare-fest. It was a fast-paced, very to-the-point horror thriller, almost in the style of Raimi's Evil Dead films: relentless and quick-witted.

One that doesn't try to force a psychological twist or a complex puzzle on us, but one that is created solely for the purpose of giving us an hour and a half of sheer madness, if only for the pure joy of being scared.

It was all just very fun for me.

Ditto.

Word.

Doc Faustus
07-08-2007, 09:23 AM
It was pretty smart for the genre, too, and managed to do so without being too patronizing.