PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable Movie Prices

Posher778
03-29-2007, 08:56 AM
I went to get your dvd from ebgames, and... i'm sorry to say that it was already sold. Sorry :(

bloody_ribcut
03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
so are yall gonna talk about this forever?

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
I went to get your dvd from ebgames, and... i'm sorry to say that it was already sold. Sorry :(
That's okay, Sweetie...I appreciate you checking on it...That was really nice :)

I'll get it eventually...I HAVE to be able to find it for less than $50, right?...Cuz, that's just ridiculous

Thanks again for remembering

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 09:19 AM
so are yall gonna talk about this forever?Well, I suppose it could be a thread about good deals or something...Or maybe not being able to FIND a good deal on a ridiculously expensive movie...

OMG...They have Basket Case on eBay for $100!!!!...It's not even special edition, no extras, or anything...Now THAT'S ridiculous

Posher778
03-29-2007, 09:23 AM
That's okay, Sweetie...I appreciate you checking on it...That was really nice :)

I'll get it eventually...I HAVE to be able to find it for less than $50, right?...Cuz, that's just ridiculous

Thanks again for remembering

You're welcome. I asked the guy, and he told me that some old man came in a bought it all excited, and he couldn't figure out why he thought it was so amazing. Ebgames got totally priced ripped off there, hahaha.

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
You're welcome. I asked the guy, and he told me that some old man came in a bought it all excited, and he couldn't figure out why he thought it was so amazing. Ebgames got totally priced ripped off there, hahaha.
*sigh*...I would have been excited, too

Holy Cow!...They also have a copy of Monster Squad on VHS for $80!...Do they REALLY think people are gonna pay THAT much for these?!

Posher778
03-29-2007, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't pay 20 for monster squad, sheesh!

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't pay 20 for monster squad, sheesh!
For Real...They also have a copy of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark for $150!

Unbelievable

Posher778
03-29-2007, 09:55 AM
That's insane. If only i had known earlier I wouldv'e been selling it for that much on ebay by now, lol.

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I found a double pack of Basket Case and Return of the Swamp Thing for $10.That's pretty good

I just saw Trog for $3...Do any of you even know what that IS?.....I bet Crabapple does ;)

Posher778
03-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Yeah, crappy movie, meaning crabby would adore it:)

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 10:27 AM
Duh, I forgot to mention I found it at Best Buy if you have one in your area.
Yeah we have a Best Buy right up the street...But, I already have the first Basket Case...Thanks for the heads up, though...Someone may benefit from that information, and they may have some similar deals worth checking out

newb
03-29-2007, 10:35 AM
That's pretty good

I just saw Trog for $3...Do any of you even know what that IS?.....I bet Crabapple does ;)

VHS or DVD

That was one of my first horror movie experiences.

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 10:42 AM
VHS or DVD

That was one of my first horror movie experiences.It's VHS...I was just looking for the DVD...There's one that SAYS 'DVD 2006'...But it also says 'Out Of Stock'...

crabapple
03-29-2007, 10:52 AM
Trog is okay. But SCHLOCK is awesome!

I saw a Trog VHS for a buck at the discount store a couple of months ago, but I didn't grab it. Schlock (Landis' "spoof" of Trog) is really much more fun.

bloodrayne
03-29-2007, 11:18 AM
Trog is okay. But SCHLOCK is awesome!

I saw a Trog VHS for a buck at the discount store a couple of months ago, but I didn't grab it. Schlock (Landis' "spoof" of Trog) is really much more fun.I'm not familiar with that one

crabapple
03-29-2007, 01:31 PM
SCHLOCK was young John Landis' first feature, from 1972, and he wore a missing link costume created by a young Rick Baker (and the suit/makeup still looks great today). Yes: Landis played the title character, the "Schlockthropus," and directed most of the movie WHILE WEARING THE COSTUME.

This movie is completely insane and very funny.

Baker appears in a cameo, playing a kid walking on crutches who gets pushed over by the ape creature.

crabapple
03-29-2007, 01:57 PM
And it is one of those movies that's so much fun, I would love to hand out free copies to everyone. But the cheapest DVD I can find for sale of this is like sixty dollars, and even on VHS it's pretty pricey, around twenty.

Despare
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
I had the Schlock DVD at one point...
Wish I could find a copy of See You Next Wednesday though...

ManchestrMorgue
03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
Ah yes, Schlock, the banana monster. Haven't seen it in years. Does it have a current DVD release in the US or is it out of print? Certainly not available in Australia. I saw it probably in the early 80's on TV late one night. Never had the chance to see it again :(

crabapple
03-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Schlock had a brief DVD release that apparently was a short run and is now out of print and hard to find. When they were newer, the DVDs could be found for five dollars or so. Not anymore!

But I guess it's like the region 1 Phantasm DVD...currently out of print and pricey, but a new run is being prepared and then you'll be able to get it cheap again.

bloodrayne
03-31-2007, 01:04 AM
I just found another one...

Trilogy Of Terror VHS - $100 :eek:

Posher778
03-31-2007, 09:09 AM
How dare you change my thread name! Blasphemy!! Alright it's fine.

Yeah, I saw trilogy of terror for 120 on dvd somewhere recently.

crabapple
03-31-2007, 09:28 AM
GggGGggggghhhhh! I used to have Trilogy of Terror on VHS, I bought it for like a dollar or two at a used video store!! That's worth a hundred now?

Same thing with that Schlock DVD...I used to have two copies of it and I gave one away! I almost wish I hadn't...but this buddy of mine, you know, needed it and stuff.

bloodrayne
03-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Okay...You're getting a link to this one because you won't even believe it:

The movie Boardinghouse VHS...$1899.95

I've never even HEARD of it!

http://product.half.ebay.com/Boardinghouse_W0QQtgZvidetailsQQprZ3063499QQitemZ1 2365250518

I'm sorry but...NO movie is THAT damned good!!!

And I though the Little Shop Of Horrors with Rick Moranis DVD for $250 was a stunner
http://product.half.ebay.com/Little-Shop-of-Horrors_W0QQitemZ12382667598QQtgZvidetailsQQprZ310 1426

crabapple
03-31-2007, 01:32 PM
I have to say, OMG WTF!!!??

I had to look "Boardinghouse" up to make sure I was reading all this correctly. Never seen the film but there was a gooooood trailer on some Gorgon Video tape (Nightbeast, I think) and this movie looked like some really prime cheese-grade garbage. Unabashedly shot on video back when the idea of that was uncouth. It looks like a fun movie but for $1,800 or whatever, I think someone is showing off or listing the title as a kind of sick joke, figuring no one is gonna come forward with that kind of money for a film like this. But then again, geeks are known to be obsessive, and some of them even have money. Damn interesting.

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Trilogy of Terror for a hundred dollars? wow thats unimaginable. Here it is available for around 100-150 rupees, which is about 2-3 dollars in your currency. DVDs cost around 9-10 dollars here by that currency conversion count, and that is more expensive. The problem is that shops here dont keep VHS anymore because CDs and DVDs have completely taken over with their superior sound and picture quality, and the availability of VHS is pretty hard.

bloodrayne
04-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Trilogy of Terror for a hundred dollars?
And don't forget the Little Shop Of Horrors with Rick Moranis DVD for $250...Who would actually PAY that?

And NOW...I can't find a copy of Nightmare On The 13th Floor for less than $30...And the $30 one is a used VHS, "with scuffed case"...GRRRRR

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 11:36 AM
wow. They are ripping you off your money in the US, thats for sure. Here nobody will even dream of paying that much for an used VHS. The most it will cost is around half a dollar, and even for that its tough to find a buyer.

bloodrayne
04-01-2007, 11:40 AM
wow. They are ripping you off your money in the US, thats for sure. Here nobody will even dream of paying that much for an used VHS. The most it will cost is around half a dollar, and even for that its tough to find a buyer.
Most (almost ALL) of the movies I buy are $5 or less, and I get many for 75 cents (but then I have to pay almost $3 for shipping), and that's VHS AND DVD...I don't mind those, I buy them all day long...But, I keep running into REALLY hard to find movies lately....I DID pay $22 for The Nanny (Bette Davis), and about that much for Ghosthouse...But, I wanted those REALLY badly.....Of course, NOW (after the fact) I just found The Nanny for $12...Damned stupid rotten luck...

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
You must be a real avid film buff to want those movies at those prices. For that kind of money here you could get at least 14-15 VHS, its that cheap. By the way how do you use that quote by me? Sorry I am new.:o

stubbornforgey
04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
You must be a real avid film buff to want those movies at those prices. For that kind of money here you could get at least 14-15 VHS, its that cheap. By the way how do you use that quote by me? Sorry I am new.:o

'sweet smile'...scroll down to the conversation in thier boxy thingy and click on the 'quote' thingy

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Now I see it. Thanks a lot stubbornforgey.:)

bloodrayne
04-01-2007, 11:51 AM
how do you use that quote by me?
Bottom right of every post

EDIT: Oops...Too late...Curse Stubborn's fast fingers

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I saw it bloodrayne. Thanks. Are films in the US priced according to their availability or what? Maybe hard to find films cost more. Because its unbelievable that people would actually pay so much to own movies which quite frankly dont deserve that sort of prices.

bloodrayne
04-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Are films in the US priced according to their availability or what? Maybe hard to find films cost more. Because its unbelievable that people would actually pay so much to own movies which quite frankly dont deserve that sort of prices.Movies (DVDs) that are common and currently available in stores cost an average of $10-$20 new, depending on the movie and the store...You can find some 'bargain buys' for $1-$5 new...Used DVDs sell for $5-$10...But for something that's really old, rare and/or out of print, people can charge whatever they want whether it's new OR used

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 12:01 PM
That makes sense. But the thing that doesnt make sense is average or trashy films costing a fortune. I dont get that. How can they be priced so high and still attract a potential buyer? I mean who would be that desperate to buy such a movie for such a price anyway?

stubbornforgey
04-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Movies (DVDs) that are common and currently available in stores cost an average of $10-$20 new, depending on the movie and the store...You can find some 'bargain buys' for $1-$5 new...Used DVDs sell for $5-$10...But for something that's really old, rare and/or out of print, people can charge whatever they want

your fucken joking..
Latest releases here..btween 99-150$'s
older releases...60$ depending on popularity'
they could cost more.
Once the movie has lost its zing... 20-30$.
or vid stores will try and knock them off for 10$'s

bloodrayne
04-01-2007, 12:03 PM
That makes sense. But the thing that doesnt make sense is average or trashy films costing a fortune. I dont get that. How can they be priced so high and still attract a potential buyer? I mean who would be that desperate to buy such a movie for such a price anyway?
One man's trash is another man's treasure...It all boils down to individual taste

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 12:04 PM
My word those prices are impossible, stubbornforgey. Where are you located in the US?

Kane_Hodder
04-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Yes I agree about that, bloodrayne. Each person have their loves and hates, but even then I cannot comprehend that a person loves a movie so much that he would be willing to spend so much money for a copy, just to own it. Especially if the money is earned the hard way, like here in India.

crabapple
04-01-2007, 02:52 PM
This post is not related so much to price as it is to fanaticism....

Sometimes there will be a film that is somewhat rare or just really beloved...often a small film that did not get a big studio release and is hard to find...and film buffs and collectors will be driven into a frenzy when they hear it's becoming available.

Around, I think it was 1997 or 1998? it was announced that "Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things" was going to be released on laserdisc, in widescreen. The first 500 copies, or something like that, would come with an original pressbook signed by Bob Clark and Alan Ormsby.

Now this had been available on VHS in a couple of different versions, but the announcement that it was to be widescreen, in a digital format...well, this drove many people in Los Angeles, I remember, really nuts! Some laserdisc stores were taking advance orders, and you had to pay for it in advance to reserve your copy.

And it came to be that whoever was producing the laserdiscs had some kind of problem finishing them, and they ended up getting finished later than the official release date. Like, a couple of months later!

The people who had put their money down were most disturbed and started calling the laserdisc stores every couple of days, and it turned into an ugly scene because all they would say is, "Sorry, it hasn't come in yet...it's late...we'll call you..." And this went on for those two months or so, and many people were pretty batty by then.

And anyway it was all resolved, the discs finally arrived, the word went around that it was time to come and pick up your disc now, everyone took their discs home and made popcorn, and all was right with the world.

Kane_Hodder
04-02-2007, 04:30 AM
People tend to get eccentric with their film love sometimes. Here we have several film fanatics who would go see a newly released film on the very first day and the first premiere show. If they cant get a ticket to it, they would rather not watch it at the theater anymore, and wait for the CD or DVD to be available in the shops. Fanaticism can be mind-boggling sometimes.

Posher778
04-04-2007, 11:16 AM
Bloodrayne, I was at Fry's today, and they had 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark' for $35.00 on dvd! Only one copy, but if you still want it I might be running back out there tomorrow. Just tell me:)

bloodrayne
04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Bloodrayne, I was at Fry's today, and they had 'Don't Be Afraid of the Dark' for $35.00 on dvd! Only one copy, but if you still want it I might be running back out there tomorrow. Just tell me:)Ugh...Thanks Babydoll, but I'm gonna keep waiting for a lower price...That's just too damned ridiculous...Still, it's cheaper than I've found it elsewhere (except for the guys that burn it and sell it for $10-$15, I've seen quite a few of those)...

Posher778
04-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Ugh...Thanks Babydoll, but I'm gonna keep waiting for a lower price...That's just too damned ridiculous...Still, it's cheaper than I've found it elsewhere (except for the guys that burn it and sell it for $10-$15, I've seen quite a few of those)...

No problem, with my luck i'd get all the way out there to have it gone anyways. They actually had some good prices for a fancy electronics store, raging Bull, new, for $10, and the Are You Afraid of the Dark, Season 1, for $35.

crabapple
04-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Omigosh! If I want to watch "Hysterical" with the Hudson Brothers, I have to spend a hundred dollars on the DVD! That's a really entertaining and weird movie, too. Just a few months ago, it could be found for SIX DOLLARS.

Posher778
04-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Omigosh! If I want to watch "Hysterical" with the Hudson Brothers, I have to spend a hundred dollars on the DVD! That's a really entertaining and weird movie, too. Just a few months ago, it could be found for SIX DOLLARS.

:rolleyes: Fry's for 20

crabapple
04-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Hmmmmmmm.....!

Posher778
04-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Hmmmmmmm.....!

Iiiii could get it for ya, but it'll costttt ya.

crabapple
04-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Oh thank you! But I think I found some even cheapa.

VampiricClown
04-06-2007, 05:14 PM
For Real...They also have a copy of Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark for $150!

Unbelievable

I got an...Unofficial DVD release of this off of there. Paid I think...$19.99 for it. Not the best quality, but I really wanted to see it, so I'd say it was worth it.

VampiricClown
04-06-2007, 05:24 PM
And NOW...I can't find a copy of Nightmare On The 13th Floor for less than $30...And the $30 one is a used VHS, "with scuffed case"...GRRRRR

How about this?

http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-13th-Floor-Michele-Greene/dp/6302158184