PDA

View Full Version : Favorite type of horror?

twinklestarr
03-27-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm working on a paper for a film class, and I was wondering, what's everyone's favorite type of horror? What movies really makes you jump or scream of have those nightmares? For me, it's ghosts, they're the one type of movie that really make me loose some sleep. But what about you guys?

alkytrio666
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Atmospheric, babe. Atmospheric.

twinklestarr
03-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, but I mean like, horror movie villan type thing, like ghosts, vampires, werewolves, slashers...that sort of thing...

bloody_ribcut
03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
i like all kinds of horror. the one's that actually scare me are the one's that involve realistic threats, like nuclear wars and mother nature.

crabapple
03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
I like ghosts, but I'm starting to think I like vampires just as much, if not more. There are so many vampire variants! They are unreal and yet animalistic; they range from subtle to totally demonic; they are capable of being cheesy and frightening at the same time. Vampires is the way to go!

My total favorite vampire movie right now is Count Yorga: Vampire. Was always fun but seems to have gotten better over the years.

Shadow
03-27-2007, 09:02 AM
Difficult to say really. I am a fan of monster films and ghost films but they dont really scare me. Films that show just how evil humans can be scare me. Also I would agree with Bloody ribcut and say films with realistic threats.

Demonique
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm with Ribcut on this - nuclear war, natural disasters - but many of these movies do not fit in comfortably in the horror genre. That being said, Romero's zombie films have it all: end of the world as we know it, zombies running or shuffling around, the struggle for survival and so on. Yep - zombies.

newb
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
A good ghost story or a nice creature feature...with old school effects...not too much CGI, unless its done really well.

stubbornforgey
03-27-2007, 12:04 PM
I like movies that scare the shits out of me
but ..i usually watch them hiding behind big ppl or hidden under my blankie:o

As soon as the music goes .'DUH DARRRRRRRRM'
em gone !!!!

phantomstranger
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
Supernatural horror has always been my personal favorite. Vampires, Ghosts and Witches are what I like best

crabapple
03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm gonna wrap you up in a "Special" blankie, stubborn, so you can enjoy horror movies even more.

It's called a "tortilla"

And I'm gonna pour some of this enchilada sauce on ya, also, this makes it even more fun and comfable.

stubbornforgey
03-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I'm gonna wrap you up in a "Special" blankie, stubborn, so you can enjoy horror movies even more.

It's called a "tortilla"

And I'm gonna pour some of this enchilada sauce on ya, also, this makes it even more fun and comfable.

aw shux..em foodles :p

illdojo
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
I pretty much like all types of horror, but my favorites are Zombie and Slasher flix with a lot of gore.

mordrid
03-27-2007, 12:53 PM
My main love are zombies. Not sure why. I guess rotting flesh gets me aroused. After that, I would say anything with a good plot, something that keeps me interested.

Despare
03-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I love zombie flicks personally.

stubbornforgey
03-27-2007, 03:32 PM
My personal favourite are all Dracula movies..
Since i was a kid and saw the original..
just mesmerised

The Flayed One
03-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, but I mean like, horror movie villan type thing, like ghosts, vampires, werewolves, slashers...that sort of thing...

Your unnecessarily limiting your paper by putting it like that. True, some people like to categorize their movies like that, but some don't There's a big wide world of horror out there.

Could be ghosts, slashers or werewolves.

Could be German expressionism or Giallo.

Could be horror comedies or SciFi/Horror.

If I'm making it too complicated, though, then I love werewolves.

Riff
03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
I truly love a great ghost or haunted house story, but zombie flicks, and truly undefinable "WTF???" movies are right up there with them.

Mictlantechutli
03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
whatever's well written, well acted, well directed and engaging.

Zombies, Post-Apocalyptic, Gothic, Ghosts, Serial Killer, whatever - as long as it's good

bloody_ribcut
03-27-2007, 08:43 PM
another type of horror i like is the "based on a true story" films, with serial killers or unsolved murders.

stubbornforgey
03-27-2007, 09:46 PM
another type of horror i like is the "based on a true story" films, with serial killers or unsolved murders.

yeah ..me too .
I love true based stories too

stubbornforgey
03-28-2007, 04:41 AM
The only thing that pisses me off about the 'real life' stories is ..the witnesses..

where are they when they are needed. :rolleyes:

missmacabre
03-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I like any horror movie as long as the story is okay and the gore is well done. I can't stand all the "gore"-or movies that have come out in the last few years.

As for what scares me, I'd have to say ghost stories. That or ones about the guy next door being a serial killer cause it could happen... and it does.. and that freaks me out a bit.

bwind22
03-28-2007, 06:08 AM
I'm working on a paper for a film class, and I was wondering, what's everyone's favorite type of horror? What movies really makes you jump or scream of have those nightmares? For me, it's ghosts, they're the one type of movie that really make me loose some sleep. But what about you guys?

I've never met a movie that made me scream or jump & I smoke too much bud to ever remember my dreams, but my favorite sub-genre is zombies, followed by slashers. I'm a fan of cheesy, gross-out gore.

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 07:59 AM
i like the suspense stuff with a great twist at the end. preferably in a ghost story format

AsylumSeeker
03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm definitely more of the psychological/good ghost story type. I can enjoy a gorefest, but gore seems to have become the main drawing point for many people. I don't need it at all. If it fits with the story and enhances it, then I'm all for it, but too often it substitutes for anything of value (Jason Takes Manhattan, I'm looking at you).

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 01:52 PM
did you see and like spider forest ?

this spider forest seems to be coming up a bit. a brief synopsis if you will, my good man?

crabapple
03-28-2007, 02:08 PM
It sounds very good, this Spider Forest movie!

I also like stuff with your typical gothic atmosphere...castles and chilly dark weather...I'm a sucker for that kind of crap. The movie doesn't even have to be good, I'll still watch it.

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 02:13 PM
It sounds very good, this Spider Forest movie!

I also like stuff with your typical gothic atmosphere...castles and chilly dark weather...I'm a sucker for that kind of crap. The movie doesn't even have to be good, I'll still watch it.

sounds like pans labyrinth might be up your alley. i think the keep might be a good choice also, although i can barely remember it as its beena long time and its hell trying to find a dvd copy

swiss tony
03-28-2007, 02:14 PM
i think everyone should see spider forest its a great film but very creepy and a bit messed up .

is it well made? i know it shouldn't matter, but it does sometimes