PDA

View Full Version : HEY!!! Read About This Movie That Was Filmed Where I Live

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm buying this one right now...And we're considering going to the Waverly Hills Sanatorium to check it out:

The Sick truth behind the Death Tunnel movie

THE SICK TRUTH - One of the greatest things about Death Tunnel, was not only how the filmmakers utilized the true history of, Waverly Hills Sanatorium, but also how this monster of a building impacted the crews lives during the shoot. For co-producer and writer, Shane Dax Taylor, being a native of Kentucky and growing up entranced by the Waverly Hills mythology, was the catalyst of inspiration that compelled him to collaborate with the Booth Bros. and write a story featuring this haunted hospital.

Utilizing medical history of the disease called the white plague and it’s infected, the filmmakers wrapped a contemporary truth or scare tale around the bizarre experiments, the deaths, the paranormal sightings of the dead and most importantly, the intense FEAR factor that this twisted infirmary generates.

After feeling the chilling presence of shooting inside Waverly Hills Sanatorium, the producers opted out of returning to Los Angeles to finish production. Instead they had the cast and crew remain at this 80-year-old decaying structure to truly complete this horror epic. The ultimate creepy finale, they set up cameras and filmed in the real Death Tunnel.

The climactic scene of the film takes the audience into a 500 ft. tunnel running below the hospital. It was called a "body chute." Tens of thousands of patients died at Waverly Hills, as their diseased bodies secretly were hoisted down this tunnel and then loaded onto a train. This was done so that the constant sight of dead patients exiting the hospital would not diminish the hope of the other patients still desperately trying to stay alive. It was essential to the filmmakers that the true history of Waverly Hills be remembered as well through this frightening horror film.

While shooting on location in the scary Kentucky Sanatorium, the film evolved into something much more startling than originally conceived. They recorded actual poltergeist (EVP’s) and were also able to capture shadowy figures and menacing faces of the past.

crabapple
03-15-2007, 11:19 AM
That sounds like a creepy little movie! I like going to haunted places too, some really strange things happen in places like that, yo.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 11:47 AM
That sounds like a creepy little movie! I like going to haunted places too, some really strange things happen in places like that, yo.
Here's more information about the hospital if you're curious...It's considered by some to be "the most haunted place in the world" and "one of the scariest places on earth"

It's an early 20th Century sanatorium in Kentucky that was built just to house (and attempt to treat) victims of the White Plague (Tuberculosis)

http://www.medhunters.com/articles/hauntedHospitalsOne.html

This one is REALLY interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills_Sanatorium

Check out the entries at the bottom called:

Reports of paranormal activity
Room 502
The "death tunnel"
Specific ghosts
Other apparitions and activity

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/23/Waverlyfront.jpg/450px-Waverlyfront.jpg

Dustin just said, "When are we going there?"

crabapple
03-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Oh yeah, that does look like a really spooky place. Especially that photo...just lately one of my big hobbies has been visiting sites like this.

I think I may have mentioned a story a while back about a friend who used to live near me...he was a location manager for various deserted buildings, and would sit watch over these places at night when the film crews had left...and he said EVERY SINGLE HOSPITAL he had managed was haunted. Every single one.

Sometimes it was something subtle or barely noticeable, sometimes it was something that happened all the time, sometimes it was really seriously freaky stuff. You go into these places, these disused hospitals, and the feeling is really quite shivery.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
just lately one of my big hobbies has been visiting sites like this.

Well, if you decide you wanna check this one out...We have a guest room :)

crabapple
03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
I won't be sleeping, I'll be watching all you videos.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I won't be sleeping, I'll be watching all you videos.
HAHAHA...You planning on being here for a couple of YEARS? :p

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
The movie is on DVD...I just ordered it a few minutes ago (when I made this thread)

The movie may or may not turn out to be crap, but the history behind it is very interesting, so I still want to have it...Especially since the place is near where I live

crabapple
03-15-2007, 12:22 PM
I swear...isn't that picture creepy? The broken windows...I dunno but I feel all awful and horrible just looking at that...

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I swear...isn't that picture creepy? The broken windows...I dunno but I feel all awful and horrible just looking at that...
I knooowwww...Isn't it awesome?!

GorePhobia
03-15-2007, 02:19 PM
please dont purchase this film

it was HORRIBLE

seriously bad

Disease
03-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Here's more information about the hospital if you're curious...It's considered by some to be "the most haunted place in the world" and "one of the scariest places on earth"

It's an early 20th Century sanatorium in Kentucky that was built just to house (and attempt to treat) victims of the White Plague (Tuberculosis)

http://www.medhunters.com/articles/hauntedHospitalsOne.html

This one is REALLY interesting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waverly_Hills_Sanatorium

Check out the entries at the bottom called:

Reports of paranormal activity
Room 502
The "death tunnel"
Specific ghosts
Other apparitions and activity

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/23/Waverlyfront.jpg/450px-Waverlyfront.jpg

Dustin just said, "When are we going there?"

How close by do you live to it?

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 02:37 PM

Ya wanna know something weird?...The architecture of the structure was bothering me...Look at the top...There's a gable that's off-center, it's on the left above the three windows...Maybe that helps to make the building look a little off, or just not right...Anyway, it bothered me enough that I had to fix it:D

Isn't this better?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/BloodRayne/sanatorium.jpg

As for the warnings about the movie being shitty...I'll bet I've seen worse (trust me on that one)...And, I'd still like to have it...If nothing else I can get an idea of what the inside of the building looks like, from the movie...AND, I've already bought it anyway...lol

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
How close by do you live to it?Just about an hour...depending on how fast ya drive :)

Disease
03-15-2007, 02:42 PM
Just about an hour...depending on how fast ya drive :)

I thought maybe it was like two blocks away or something, but you only just noticed it. As if it had been cloaking itself every time you walked past up untill now.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 02:45 PM
BR, let me know when you guys plan to go, I'll get a few friends and we could make a huge posse of it. :)OOOOOH...That would be awesome!!!...We'll have to wait until it gets a bit warmer (and STAYS that way for a few days)...and until Dustin can get a day off...AND we'll want to go in the evening...We're not exactly 'day people' :)

I just hope it's a not too close to the actual CITY of Louisville...The thought of being in Louisville with the kids at night is WAY more unsettling than an old abandoned haunted hospital where "tens of thousands" of people died

Seriously...It's the LIVING ya gotta watch out for...

Disease
03-15-2007, 02:50 PM
It's off some hidden road next to a golf course I hear. So can't be too close.

And no, we're not day people either, lol.

I hear you have to book in advance though =\

What the hell are you talking about? Going on a tour?

You've got to just sneak in there by your self, that's the only way to do it.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 02:56 PM
They do have security guards. It's a high profile kind of place.
Well...SHIT
What the hell are you talking about? Going on a tour?

You've got to just sneak in there by your self, that's the only way to do it.
THAT was more like what I had in mind...Dammit...Someone ALWAYS has to take all the fun outta something...

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 03:02 PM
haha, trust me.. I would sneak in in a heartbeat.
Ya know...I just thought of something...I'm pretty good at 'talking to people'...How many security guards are we talkin' about here? :D

Disease
03-15-2007, 03:07 PM
But there must be some nights when there are no tours? or you could sneak in dureing the day and wait for the night and scare the shit out of the people on tour.

Disease
03-15-2007, 03:11 PM
I don't think the cost is the issue.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 03:11 PM
lol, I'm not sure. I would guess 2-5

But the thing is, you'd be trying to sneak around tours and such at night, which is when they have them.At night, huh?...You think they have tours between midnight and 4am? ;)

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I don't think the cost is the issue.No, definitely, absolutely not the issue...

I would HATE to have to follow someone around, being stuck in a crowd of oglers oohing and ahhing...And I like to be able to go wherever the hell we wanna go...Not follow some lame ass map through the 'safe/public' areas...Fuck that noise

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Yes, yes they do actually, lol.

I think they have them up to 8amWell SHIT again...They're just trying to make this difficult for us

Assholes

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
As far as I know, the only place they keep locked up is the fourth floor, but I'm sure we could get in there on request.

Part of the reason I say we merge our groups, so were not stuck with a bunch of oglers.
Hmm, that really makes me wonder WHY...What's on the fourth floor, huh?...And does that mean that room 502 (which would be on the fifth floor) would be accessible?

crabapple
03-15-2007, 03:38 PM
I bet they'd take you up there, if you paid them enough.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 04:41 PM
The fourth floor is the bad floor.

Lots of bad stuff.. it was the patient ward.Is there any way possible (I mean even 1 chance in a million) that there could still be something infectious there?...Tuberculosis is pretty insidious...I mean, it can wipe out entire cities and shit

Despare
03-15-2007, 04:44 PM
It's odd that there's a hospital like that around here also with tunnels running under it but nobody really knew what they were for. Lots of teens go there now and it's kind of a hangout... I wonder if the place here is like a smaller version of the one in Kansas. Personally I wouldn't trust the air in that place... something could be floating around there. That's how zombie movies start!

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 04:55 PM
It's odd that there's a hospital like that around here also with tunnels running under it but nobody really knew what they were for. Lots of teens go there now and it's kind of a hangout... I wonder if the place here is like a smaller version of the one in Kansas. Personally I wouldn't trust the air in that place... something could be floating around there. That's how zombie movies start!Tuberculosis was all over the country at one point or another...I'd bet that's what you're abandoned hospitals were used for...Ours (this one in Kentucky) was built FOR the tuberculosis victims, and then shut down after the outbreak was over

I can't think of many other reasons why an entire hospital would simply be abandoned, other than the fact that it was no longer needed as in this case

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 04:56 PM
No, people go in there all the time. It's seriously because of some of the activity that's happened there. People have had bricks fly at them.Meh...I've never been concerned with anything like that

Despare
03-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Meh...I've never been concerned with anything like that

I would actually be LOOKING for something like that to happen. I love supernatural experiences and have had a couple in my lifetime...

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I would actually be LOOKING for something like that to happen. I love supernatural experiences and have had a couple in my lifetime...

Yeah, that's what I mean...It certainly wouldn't be a deterrent

But...I seriously don't expect anything like that to happen to me

Posher778
03-15-2007, 05:01 PM

You'd be throwing the bricks back anyway:rolleyes:

Despare
03-15-2007, 05:02 PM

The place with the most stories are usually the most dissapointing. There's a "haunted house" out here, the Donovan House where people have supposedly saw ghost/evil sheep and heard things in barns and jumped out of windows scared half to death refusing to talk about what happened...
I never saw anything like that. :(

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 05:07 PM
The place with the most stories are usually the most dissapointing. There's a "haunted house" out here, the Donovan House where people have supposedly saw ghost/evil sheep and heard things in barns and jumped out of windows scared half to death refusing to talk about what happened...
I never saw anything like that. :(Yeah at Bobby Mackey's (about 15 minutes from here) there's supposed to be LOTS of activity (you can read about it online), and I've been there tons of times since I was a teenager and I never saw or heard anything

Also, up in Ohio (about an hour north of here) we went to the Loveland Castle one Halloween...All through the place...And although it was extremely cool (big stone castle, narrow passageways, etcetera)...There wasn't anything 'unusual' goin' on

@ Despare...I responded to your 'local abandoned hospital' query at the bottom of the page before this one

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 05:09 PM
You'd be throwing the bricks back anyway:rolleyes:
HAHA...That's cute...But, to be perfectly honest, if anything like that DID happen, I'd be trying to figure out how, why, what and from where...If I actually came into contact with something, I would definitely try to communicate with it...Maybe THAT'S why nothing ever happens to me...lol

Posher778
03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
HAHA...That's cute...But, to be perfectly honest, if anything like that DID happen, I'd be trying to figure out how, why, what and from where...If I actually came into contact with something, I would definitely try to communicate with it...Maybe THAT'S why nothing ever happens to me...lol

Maybe they just think your boring. Run in a haunted house in a hot dog suit and yodel next time, maybe you'll stir a reaction.

crabapple
03-15-2007, 05:13 PM

I disagree, I think you'll need a lot of detergent. Bricks are generally pretty dirty and after some ghost knob-gobbler lobs them at you, you'll probably have grime and soot smeared all over your stuff.

I use Sun with a couple of capfuls of fabric softener. I'll usually spray a stain remover on the really bad spots and let it soak in before starting the wash too

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Maybe they just think your boring. Run in a haunted house in a hot dog suit and yodel next time, maybe you'll stir a reaction.
Heh...I AM boring...How would they know?:eek:

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 05:16 PM
I disagree, I think you'll need a lot of detergent. Bricks are generally pretty dirty and after some ghost knob-gobbler lobs them at you, you'll probably have grime and soot smeared all over your stuff.

I use Sun with a couple of capfuls of fabric softener. I'll usually spray a stain remover on the really bad spots and let it soak in before starting the wash too
lol...You're a goober

PooNuts

Posher778
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Heh...I AM boring...How would they know?:eek:

I dunno, maybe they're psychic brick throwing haunted hospital abiding ghosts..? Damn that's complex, no wonder they're pissy...

Despare
03-15-2007, 05:22 PM
TB is VERY treatable now. If you have insurance you need'nt worry.

bloodrayne
03-15-2007, 09:08 PM
Actually, after the tuberculosis outbreak, it was used as a mental ward. People would send their crazies and senile old people there to basically die. The nurses and doctors during that phase were neglectful, hateful, and sometimes outright mean. I think this is where a lot of the violent supernatural happenings started taking place. Mental wards are a breeding ground for mean spirits.Hmm...That's odd...I read that it was shut down shortly after the outbreak was over...Oh well, the mental ward thing is MUCH better