PDA

View Full Version : Rockin' the new shit...

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
I won't go into too many details...I'll just say that if you decide to dust your own pc, you'd better be plenty careful if you're fucking about anyplace NEAR your chip.
I put it back in wrong, like...a TINY unnoticeable bit wrong, didn't bridge some gap completely or push it in all the way, something like that.
Anyway, everything gone. Even the memory and cpu.

Sooo...got a new one.
I didn't supervise the buy, so I ended up with the same tower (I have a nice soprano thermaltake) and power supply, both fairly new...the dvd drive was also salvagable. I have an external burner so it's all good.

So, this one's got 2 2 gig HDs, a motherboard that you can throw two seperate graphics cards into, onboard sound, extra ?RAM? a P4 3.1GIG processor (upgraded from 2.6) yknow, some other random shit that makes a pc work, and a graphics card called a 'GeForce 7300GS' I understand that one's quite ok, but I'm not sure...can anyone tell me what I'm dealing with here?

That's what I got.

There's a slight problem I just thought I'd run by you folks first.
The video files, eg - avi 'n stuff, they play fine through realplayer and wmp, but for some reason they look really DARK.
NB: The rest of the applications run at regular brightness, it's only a problem with the video files specifically. I have tried things I've played prior to the last pc dying, and they ran fine before, now they play dark too.
So, any ideas what I need to do here?

Despare
03-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll think about it but the only thing I can think to ask is are your drivers and codecs up to date?

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
I think the codecs are ok...I mean beforehand, the videos wouldn't play but the sound on them would...so some guy at the shop fixed THAT...but now it's all dark when EVERY avi file plays.
I dunno bout the codec shit myself, wouldn't even know where to look.

Despare
03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Try reinstalling the videocard drivers.

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Wouldn't they be new though?

Despare
03-09-2007, 06:18 PM
They could be but if it's an older card there could be updates by now.

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Just went through the system list, asking for updates on everything audio, video and processor related.
Apparently I've got the latest of everything.

So...the search continues.

Despare
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Check the website for the company that makes the videocard, I did a few searches and asked a few people and they all said the same thing. The one person I know that had it happened said he re-installed the drivers and it fixed it. Just throwing it out there because I can't think of anything else lol. :)

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 06:51 PM
This just in - GAMES run really dark too.
Same problem as the videos. They seem otherwise fine, but dark...I mean not so dark that I can't see anything, just darker than they ought to be by about 50-60%.

So...any further ideas, folks?

_____V_____
03-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Check if your graphics card software drivers have some kind of video adjusting capabilities in em. If not, then I d recommend completely uninstalling the video drivers, then re-installing em from the CD. Give it a shot then.

If problem persists, go to the site and download the latest patches. I m guessing its a FX problem. (definitely card) Nothing so serious that a latest patch cant fix in a jiffy.

newb
03-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Cheeb.....lose the cheap sunglasses man.
http://www.gocontinental.com/photos2/zztop1s.jpg

got to agree with Despare & V....sounds like a graphic card driver.

stubbornforgey
03-09-2007, 07:10 PM
GE force graphics are the best..especially for hardcore gaming
cpu all good???
everything been upgraded..??
try this
go to options (in gaming)
adjustable bar labelled brightness
adjust as you see fit .
otherwise
change the gamma on your monitor?j
just try adjusting your monitor contrast and brightness

jay o2 waster
03-09-2007, 07:16 PM
Man, I wish i could contribute something useful to this thread but you are all speaking jibberish so i present you with the almighty...

+1

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 07:17 PM
change the gamma on your monitor?j
just try adjusting your monitor contrast and brightness
But everything else is fine, it's just video files and games, the screen and all windows, all that shit looks fine, and as bright as usual.

As for the rest, I'd do it if I knew how...
I've been to the site that has a bunch of shit to DL that I'm unsure what even IS...eh whatever, I'm just gonna wait for someone else to fix the fucker. Geforce, always seems to give me problems.

_____V_____
03-09-2007, 07:20 PM
Read this, Cheeba...this is very useful for you :-

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=19904

stubbornforgey
03-09-2007, 07:21 PM
go into games
go to options/graphics/videos
there should be a adjustable bar labelled "brightness"
adjust this as you see fit

ok try changing the screen resolution first from windows to what ya normally have it set at

or it could be a manual setting in properties.

em just running thru options em familiar with

have you done a fresh install of windows?

yeah that may be the prob drivers all stuffed up..

_____V_____
03-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's another...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=29267

Its a shame to have a problem with a shiny new PC though. The techs who delivered it to you should have resolved this (and any other similar) problems beforehand.

stubbornforgey
03-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Here's another...

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=29267

Its a shame to have a problem with a shiny new PC though. The techs who delivered it to you should have resolved this (and any other similar) problems beforehand.

word !!! :p

Despare
03-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Geforce/NVidia always seems ok but I have better luck with ATI/Radeon.

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Geforce/NVidia always seems ok but I have better luck with ATI/Radeon.
In my limited experience with them both, I'd tend to agree to that.

So, got all the drivers from the nvidia site, tried downloading every codec and update I could for everything on the pc from the system list, and STILL my games and videos are playing dark.
I don't even know if the video players have settings to adjust brightness, and it'd be annoying to have to do that with videos or games every time. That's not the way it's supposed to be, is it?
Messing with my overall brightness settings is just gonna make the non-video-game stuff look way too bright anyways.
I think if there's no better solution here, this is going back to the shop.
Assholes...as though they shouldn't test this kinda shit instore....

Phalanx
03-09-2007, 11:08 PM
***bump***

_____V_____
03-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Did you read those replies to a similar problem on the nVidia site that I posted a link to?
I think all of em have the same common problem, as like yours...The SLI.

Tell the techs of the shop where you got your new PC, to adjust the SLI of the card and update the drivers. That ll solve the problem of the dark videos and games.

Spallalala
03-10-2007, 02:59 AM
Did you read those replies to a similar problem on the nVidia site that I posted a link to?
I think all of em have the same common problem, as like yours...The SLI.

Tell the techs of the shop where you got your new PC, to adjust the SLI of the card and update the drivers. That ll solve the problem of the dark videos and games.

Hiya . Back for a lil bit to fix this problem.

Without actually taking it back to the techs how can I adjust the SLI myself?

I managed to fix it slighty through the nvidia settings, colour corrections, overlay...But it still looks a lil strange. A bit brighter yes as I put the brightness on on 168% and the contrast on 174%.
Tried to play NFS U2 but I dunno it seems to have a delay when trying to drive and I think thats cos all the settings in the game were automatically put on high.

Fuckdammit fucking computers. :)

EDIT: Good site that was given..Maybe I should uninstall the shit then install it again..fucking bastard of a thing..Thats my last resort tho.

stubbornforgey
03-10-2007, 04:03 AM
one question..
are your windows and graphics running on the same drivers??

Phalanx
03-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Hell if I know...
Problem seems to be sorted out now, the girl messed with some settings on the card itself...I dunno, I don't have the patience for this shit.