PDA

View Full Version : The Official 79th Annual Academy Awards Thread

alkytrio666
02-25-2007, 11:20 AM
Anyone care to chat about it?

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 11:32 AM
I'll definately be watching. Wouldn't mind seeing Clint pick up best picture while Scorsese takes home his loooooooooooooooooooong overdue directing award.

I'm also really pulling for Meryl Streep, I think she deserves it.

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I really really hope Scorsese gets this as well.

Well, the last three times I wouldn't say overlooked, outmatched yeah but not overlooked.

alkytrio666
02-25-2007, 12:21 PM
I hope Little Miss Sunshine wins.
I don't. Little Miss Sunshine pails in comparison to all four of the other Best Pictures. I'll actually be really dissapointed if it does win.

Here're my predictions:

Best Picture:
The Departed (I wouldn't mind seeing 'Letters' or Babel win, but I have a feeling Best Picture will go hand-in-hand with Best Director)

Best Director:
Martin Scorsese

Best Actor:
Forest Whitaker

Best Actress:
Helen Mirren

Best Supporting Actor:
Eddie Murphy

Best Supporting Actress:
Jennifer Hudson

Best Foreign Language Film:
El Laerinto del Faunto (Pan's Labyrinth)

Best Cinematography:
Children of Men

Best Editing:
The Departed

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 02:16 PM
Well, yeah, but u see, I've always liked Scorsese. But Clint is a member of the Oscar Dream Team, the odds r in his favor. lol. And he's just as damn good.

Oh I love Scorsese's work just as much as anyone. For once and once only, I'd actually like Clint to take the backseat, it's about time they gave the guy an award he should've taken home 3 times now at the very least. However, I wont be upset if Clint takes, now if anybody else wins(Which, honestly, I think should absolutly not happen.) I'll be ticked off.

In all honesty, Eastwood fan boyism aside, I think they should split..Letters for picture and Scorsese for director.

p.s.
I said last 3 times, I believe that should be 2 and not the last two, quite far apart actually.

The STE
02-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Everybody says it's Scorsese's year. But every year he makes a movie seems to be 'his year' and he always loses, most often to Actor/Directors. Though, this year, EVERYBODY is saying it's his year, and he's been cleaning house with the other various award shows, so maybe there's some weight to the "his year" predictions this time 'round.

The only category I'm really torn on is Best Actor. On one hand, I've only seen 3 of the nominees, and the best one by FAR is Ryan Gosling. On the other hand, I've not seen Forrest Whitaker's performance. So, who knows.

And I think Children of Men should pick up whatever it can get, especially cinematography

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 02:51 PM
Outta curiosity, anybody else think O'Toole or Smith could've been bumped for Leo's Departed performance?

The STE
02-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Smith had too much of a backing not to get nominated, and Peter O'Toole is Peter O'Toole. Neither would get bumped just so Leonardo DiCaprio could have another nomination.

The_Return
02-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Im really behind on nominated movies this year - the only ones Ive seen in major categories are The Departed, Pan's Labyrinth and Pursuit of Happyness (Plus Superman Returns and Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Man's Chest in some of the "lesser" categories)

Even though I havent seen any of the other nominees, I hesitate to say Scorcese will win Best Director. It was a damn good movie, but I really didnt notice anything special about the directing. I mean it was good, but nothing really struck me as Oscar worthy about it. But as Ive said, I havent seen the other nominees so maybe it shines by comparison.

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 03:34 PM
so maybe it shines by comparison.

All but one, just my opinion. Not saying that the other is better just that it's not overshadowed.

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 03:49 PM
This is IMDB's daily poll...Couple of 'em are amusing

You're most likely to turn off the oscars if.....

-Ellen DeGeneres dances too much and/or wears sneakers on stage.

-Edward Norton appears in a public service announcement, shaming celebrities for accepting lavish gift baskets.

-presenter Tom Cruise fails to make fun of himself.

-Jennifer Hudson hits a flat note in her acceptance speech.

-there's a Dreamgirls dancing sequence.

-Martin Scorsese does not win the Best Director Oscar.

-Martin Scorsese wins the Best Director Oscar.

-an animated penguin presents an award.

-my favorite film/filmmaker/performer loses in their category.

-any presenter starts out saying: "The *fill-in-the-blank* is the most vital part of any film ..."

-someone says "royal" in conjuction with Forest Whitaker and/or Helen Mirren.

-Babel gets pronounced three different ways.

-the cast of Little Miss Sunshine dances to "Super Freak".

-presenter Al Gore announces he's running for President.

-you couldn't get me to turn off the Oscars if you paid me.

pinkerton
02-25-2007, 04:51 PM
How many fucking awards is Pans Labyrinth going to win?

The_Return
02-25-2007, 04:53 PM
How many fucking awards is Pans Labyrinth going to win?

Every single one that its nominated for, hopefully. Deserves all of them and more.

pinkerton
02-25-2007, 04:56 PM
Every single one that its nominated for, hopefully. Deserves all of them and more.

I haven't seen it but I guess i need to!:o

The_Return
02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
I haven't seen it but I guess i need to!:o

DVD comes out May 15th

Its easily one of the best movies that Ive ever seen.

pinkerton
02-25-2007, 05:04 PM
DVD comes out May 15th

Its easily one of the best movies that Ive ever seen.

Is it a Narnia type kids movie?

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Get the fuck outta here, that was Eddie all the way with Wahlberg, if anybody, swiping it away.

Oh well, that's the first of maybe many 'whatever the fuck ever' moments.

The_Return
02-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Is it a Narnia type kids movie?

FAR from it.

Most of it takes place during the Spanish Civil War, and is much less fantasy oriented than you would be led to believe. Fantasy does play a major part, but it focuses more on reality.

The STE
02-25-2007, 08:13 PM
HELL YEAH! Scorsese finally gets a win, plus The Departed wins!

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 08:19 PM
It's about fucking time.

alkytrio666
02-25-2007, 08:20 PM
WOOOOHOOOOOOO!

GREAT Oscars. The Departed wins Best Picture? Check. Marty gets his long awaited? Check. Forest Whitaker takes home Best Actor? Check. Thelma Schoonmaker gets her editing award? Check.

Hell yeah!

AUSTIN316426808
02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought Ellen did a good job as well.

alkytrio666
02-25-2007, 08:25 PM
I thought Ellen did a good job as well.
Yeah, she did a good job being funny, but not pathetic. A lot of hosts have a hard time with that.

As a side note, Nicholson lookes horribly funny with his head shaved.

Dominion
02-25-2007, 08:43 PM
Congrats to Martin S. I haven't seen the departed yet, but I will soon.

roshiq
02-25-2007, 09:52 PM
No Oscar for Children of Men!?! ...It's totally frustrating!!:mad:

The STE
02-25-2007, 09:56 PM
I think Riniko Kikuchi should've won for supporting actress, Whalburg should've won for supporting actor, and Children of Men should've won for cinematography, but other than that I can't complain.

Unaboner3000
02-25-2007, 10:35 PM
Why does Jack Nicholson look like an AIDS victim?

roshiq
02-25-2007, 10:37 PM
I think Riniko Kikuchi should've won for supporting actress, Whalburg should've won for supporting actor, and Children of Men should've won for cinematography, but other than that I can't complain.

and for adapted screenplay.:(

The STE
02-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Why does Jack Nicholson look like an AIDS victim?

He's playing a cancer patient in a movie

The_Return
02-26-2007, 03:09 AM
Whalburg should've won for supporting actor

Why?

He wasnt bad, but until the last minute of the movie his character was totally pointless. He was hardly ever on screen, and when he was it was pretty much just a by-the-numbers cop role.

I havent had a chance to see Little Miss Sunshine yet, but Im sure Arkin deserved it more.

and for adapted screenplay.:(

No way. I wasnt as impressed with The Departed as everyone else (I really liked it, but Im not slobbering over it like most people), but the screenplay was fantastic. Definatly deserved it.

The main thing that bugged me last night was Pan's Labyrinth not winning Best Foreign Film. Im sure Lives of Others was good (I'll be checking it out soon), but there is no way it was better than Pan's.

alkytrio666
02-26-2007, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I'm a little dissapointed Children of Men didn't win anything, but I look at it this way:

a. It should have won Cinematography, but Pan's Labyrinth did, which was also a worthy contender.

b. The only other award it had going for it was adapted screenplay. No way in hell was it going to get that. The Departed was miles ahead of it, for one.

So I'm over it.

Whalberg didn't deserve supporting actor, but netiher did Alan Arkin. Djimon Hounsou did.

Pan's Labyrinth should have had the Best Foreign Language Film down easy. It was one of the only shocks of the night. Damn shame.

Besides that, everything went as I expected.

Disease
02-26-2007, 03:58 AM
It was good to see scorsese finally pick up an award, even though he should have gotten it around 30 years ago for Taxi Driver, And so freaking Awesome to see Forest Whitaker get best actor, he has played so many awesome roles over the years, even in the colour of money which is just one scene, he left a lasting impression!