PDA

View Full Version : Films to watch with my kids over Halloween?

stinking_dylan
10-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Anybody have any suggestions for films to watch with my kids over halloween?
They are 11 and 7, strangely, my 7 year old has a greater love of horror than my elder.

They can't be too scary, and obviously not too much language, and no nudity/sex/drug use. I was thinking about some Hammer films, and maybe the changeling, but they may find them a bit boring. I've also considered Carpenters The Fog, but it may be a bit scary for them.

Then there's nightmare on elm street... could be a winner as it's got a faster pace? Woman in black may be ok, but again, a bit slow. Darkness falls? That could be ok.

Any suggestions?

stygianwitch
10-19-2006, 07:18 AM
If they scare easy and still have baby teeth Darkness Falls might be a bit much, lol, what about The Frighteners, that's more a comedy horror, scary and funny too

urgeok
10-19-2006, 07:33 AM
my kid is 6 - just watched Tremors and loved it

there's very mild language....

monster club if you can find it

something wicked this way comes

i think there's a bit of nudity in the fog but i think i'd be more concerned about the level of violence re. the 7 year old.

we dont feel like explaining sex to a 6 year old right now but just nudity - who cares ...

urgeok
10-19-2006, 07:45 AM
If they scare easy and still have baby teeth Darkness Falls might be a bit much, lol, what about The Frighteners, that's more a comedy horror, scary and funny too

as long as he doesnt mind 'splainin to his kid why the ghost is humping a mummy :)

crabapple
10-19-2006, 07:47 AM
I know I am always suggesting this film as perfect entertainment, but here it is again. You can't do anything better than pop in "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (from 1948).

It's kid-friendly (I saw it when I was a kid and it was just scary enough--no more, no less). It has monsters and great special effects and sets. It's still funny after nearly sixty years. The humor and horror play off each other brilliantly. Each adds to the other. And because it was made when it was made, the horrific qualities are largely implied and conceptual, instead of graphic.

If you want to crank the horror up a bit, I would suggest "Horror of Dracula" (from 1958). This is actually a serious horror film. It's pretty fast-moving and exciting. Not a comedy. The vampires are pretty violent and threatening. This was also the first Dracula film made in color, and it has a rich Technicolor look...and some splashes of blood here and there! It's an older film but it still packs a nice punch today.

crabapple
10-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Just a side note too, I think "The Changeling" might be a little bit much. That film I think is for the 15 and up crowd. Younger kids would not be as likely to relate to the story and might perceive it as slow. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

urgeok
10-19-2006, 07:54 AM
I know I am always suggesting this film as perfect entertainment, but here it is again. You can't do anything better than pop in "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" (from 1948).

my favorite too - just kind of hard to find

stygianwitch
10-19-2006, 07:55 AM
my kid is 6 - just watched Tremors and loved it

there's very mild language....

Yeah, Tremors is a great film, has definite appeal, kids love things like giant worms

urgeok
10-19-2006, 07:57 AM
oh ..another one is Tobe hoopers "Invaders From Mars" remake ..

great looking creatures ...lots of fun...

an homage to the 50's era sci-fi but less talky ... moves along at a good pace for the kids.

Nikkif8
10-19-2006, 07:58 AM
I think NOES is a good choice cause it can be funny too. Also, What about The Lost Boys? That has been my fav since I was 5!

urgeok
10-19-2006, 08:05 AM
hmmm - i dont know if i'd show lost boys to my kid even at 7 years.
still pretty graphic ...

when it gets weird between the 2 brothers (before the dog helped out) might be uncomfortable for a kid that age as well

BudMan
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Tough to pick a horror movie for a 7 year old if you don't know his/hers disposition.

crabapple
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
kids love things like giant worms

Yep, that's the mentality in a nutshell. Point point..."Big Worm! Big Worm!"

hitman3005
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
Yep, that's the mentality in a nutshell. Point point..."Big Worm! Big Worm!"

They're gonna watch FRIDAY?

Nikkif8
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
hmmm - i dont know if i'd show lost boys to my kid even at 7 years.
still pretty graphic ...

when it gets weird between the 2 brothers (before the dog helped out) might be uncomfortable for a kid that age as well

I do agree, although I saw it when I was about 5 or so. Everyone is diff. 7 is a hard age to pic good horror movies. Someone mentioned Pet Semetary, that's not too scarey???

The Flayed One
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Making Contact
Poltergeist
Cat's Eye

crabapple
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
"Gamera: Guardian of the Universe" (1995)

That'll freak 'em out real good.

urgeok
10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
ahh what the hell, get them the guinea pig series ..

kids like guinea pigs right ?

The Flayed One
10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
NOT Lemora: A Childhood Tale of Terror. That creeped me out when I was 26.

crabapple
10-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Dude. "Lemora" is still one of the scariest movies ever for me.

stinking_dylan
10-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Wow, this is one active board! Thanks for the suggestions.

I forgot all about monster squad! I need to track that down, they'll love it.

Tremors is good too. I'll check HMV on the weekend.

Guinea pig experiment :eek: :D

bloodrayne
10-19-2006, 10:41 AM
NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!!...I can't believe you guys didn't mention it
Beetlejuice
Casper...The movie...With Christina Ricci
Addams Family...The movie
Addams Family 2
Gremlins
Gremlins 2
Ghostbusters

The Flayed One
10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
ahh what the hell, get them the guinea pig series ..

kids like guinea pigs right ?

Yes. That an Caligula. Children love Roman Emperors as well.

Nikkif8
10-19-2006, 10:45 AM
Beetlejuice
Addams Family 2
Gremlins
Gremlins 2
Ghostbusters

Yea Gremlins rocks. I am hoping to get one of those staircase chairs when I build my house!! Hopfully it doesnt fling me out the window tho. Anyhow, I always considered Gremlins more of a Christmas movie!:p

urgeok
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Beetlejuice
Addams Family 2
Gremlins
Gremlins 2
Ghostbusters

yeah my kid likes all those too ..

i think he was trying to find something a little more ...edgy though

bloodrayne
10-19-2006, 11:33 AM
OMG..I can't believe I forgot...

Witches
Hocus Pocus

You GOTTA do those with the kids...Definitely :)

Dustin's contribution: Ernest Scared Stupid

bloodrayne
10-19-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah my kid likes all those too ..

i think he was trying to find something a little more ...edgy thoughOh oops:o ....Well then, forget those last two, too...heh

Critters?
Eight Legged Freaks?
Arachnaphobia?
Lake Placid?
Killer Clowns From Outer Space?
Chucky?

Mine LOVE Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army Of Darkness

urgeok
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Oh oops:o ....Well then, forget those last two, too...heh

Critters?
Eight Legged Freaks?
Arachnaphobia?
Lake Placid?
Killer Clowns From Outer Space?
Chucky?

Mine LOVE Evil Dead, Evil Dead 2, and Army Of Darkness

i think he's avoiding language so i think lake placid might be a big no no with foul mouth B.W.

ditto chucky.

i've thought of letting my kid see 8 legged freaks but i'm a bit wary of unintentionally instilling a fear of spiders in him .. i tend to stay away from 'real' critters and stick with monsters because he knows they arent real.

not sure how to gauge at what point he can handle the other stuff without it leaving any weird/negative impressions on him.

Spec7ral
10-19-2006, 12:25 PM
kingdom of the spiders
Frogs
Willard
Garbage Pail Kids
Dreamscape
The Dark Crystal
Ice Pirates

crabapple
10-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Jeez, I haven't seen Ice Pirates in a million freakin years--like more than 20 years. I remember it had a really funny poster illo.

The_Return
10-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Go for some Universal. I saw Drcula '31 for the first time when I was three...one of my favourite movies ever since.

Wolf Man, Frankenstein...most of the sequels...Universal does it best. No language, no nudity, very very little onscreen violence...Perfect?

Frighteners is a good one, for the most part...Urge brought up a good point though, the ol' "Hanging" Judge might raise some uncomfortable questions.

Spec7ral
10-19-2006, 10:30 PM
you can buy it on dvd now i got it off amazon like 6 months ago. its good clean fun for the whole family as long as children dont start asking about the "space herpes" :eek:

stinking_dylan
10-19-2006, 10:49 PM
My kids have seen eight legged freaks, they really enjoyed it. They also liked Goonies, but not as much as I thought they would (I loved it). They do keep asking one of my mates to do the 'truffle shuffle' for them though. :D

The Flayed One
10-20-2006, 04:37 AM
My kids have seen eight legged freaks, they really enjoyed it. They also liked Goonies, but not as much as I thought they would (I loved it). They do keep asking one of my mates to do the 'truffle shuffle' for them though. :D

Yeah, that movie was the bane of fat children in the 80's.

What about Legend? Not horror, but has some kick ass monsters in it.

Spec7ral
10-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Yeah, that movie was the bane of fat children in the 80's.

What about Legend? Not horror, but has some kick ass monsters in it.

not to mention tom cruise in his greatest role of all time. The seeds of scientology were planted in those forests i think.

crabapple
10-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh yeaaahhhh...Yokai Monsters/Spook Warfare aka 100-Monster War or whatever it's called. That movie is really fun! It's got a couple of moments that might frighten really small ones but overall it's not too scary and it's basically family-friendly.

Elvis_Christ
10-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Invaders From Mars (the remake)

pinkfloyd45769
10-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Everything Rayne said is pretty much what i was going to suggest. Tim Burtons Corpse Bride s great, i love it.Maybe The Fly,and i was thinking Goosebumps!

pinkfloyd45769
10-20-2006, 07:21 PM
Sleepy Hollow would be another good one.

BudMan
10-20-2006, 07:31 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000A0GPEA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

bloodrayne
10-21-2006, 03:22 AM
Everything Rayne said is pretty much what i was going to suggest. Tim Burtons Corpse Bride s great, i love it.Maybe The Fly,and i was thinking Goosebumps!Haha..I was just about to add Corpse Bride...I can't believe I didn't think of it the first time around :)

Also:

Mars Attacks...Awesome for the kids AND adults

and

Boltneck...A modern, urban teenaged Frankenstein...It's also a bit funny at times...Quite underrated...but, really good

alkytrio666
10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm going to compile a few peoples' lists to make mine for you:

Crabapple mentioned Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. That's a winner.

Bloodrayne mentioned Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters. Those are perfect suggestions. I was a little kid not too long ago and when I was about 7 I watched both of those and they scared the shit out of me. They seem tame to us now, but they've got some very scary elements to them.

Return mentioned the Universal classics. Those are perfect. Give 'em a little double feature: Frankenstein (1931) and Bride of Frankenstein. Like he said, you can't go wrong with Dracula (1931) either.

I would add Poltergeist, which I still find tense and scary, but pretty appropriate. I would add Jaws, because I saw it at an earlier age (probably 10) and loved it. Psycho (1960) would work, as would Night of the Living Dead (1968).

It's too bad Return of the Living Dead has so much nudity because it's one of the most fun horror flicks out there.