PDA

View Full Version : I'm calling it out

bloodletter
10-12-2006, 11:32 PM
Halloween I & II (shot at the same time, also known as the babysitter murders) is by far the best single horror film ever made. It's my opinion, and I haven't researched anything extra new or rare in a while. So, if you disagree with me... fine. What's yours. Educate me on some next level shit. But, that movie still freaks me out.

bwind22
10-12-2006, 11:45 PM
Halloween is one of my favorite slasher series for sure, but I don't think I'd put them at the top of my list...

1-Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
2-Dawn of the Dead (original)
3-Night of the Living Dead (original)
4-Demons
5-Halloween

Those are probably my top 5 just off the top of my head.

bloodletter
10-12-2006, 11:50 PM
I totally agree with all your picks, but what is demons? Is it like that fucked up Italian movie Zombie? What's the story?

bwind22
10-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Oh, that's 1 you should check out. The story is very, very basic but the cheesy acting and sloppy gore makes it one of my favorites. It's Italian but you can find it dubbed in English probably easier than you could find it in Italian. The premise is basically this...

Zombies run wild on an audience full of people locked inside a movie theatre. If you like movies like Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, Bad Taste, Dead Alive, etc... Then you'll probably like this. It's along those lines of gore & cheesiness.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Hey....I gotta educate you on some next level shit, man.

Actually, Halloween and Halloween II weren't made at the same time; they were shot a couple of years apart.

Angra
10-13-2006, 12:02 AM
Hey....I gotta educate you on some next level shit, man.

Actually, Halloween and Halloween II weren't made at the same time; they were shot a couple of years apart.

1. Evil dead 2

bloodletter
10-13-2006, 12:05 AM
Gotta check out Demons... you sure about Halloween? I took this crazy horror films class at school and my Prof. swore by that shit. It doesn't mean he might not have been full of shit, but that's what I had always heard about Halloween. Again, that is why I am here... to learn.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Yeah, I know, I'm being silly. But it's true, they were made separately. I like them both though. The first one's a classic and the second one captures some of the atmosphere and functions as a decent followup.

The third film is a little nutsy kooky but I liked that one a lot too. Also very atmospheric.

bloodletter
10-13-2006, 12:09 AM
18 more days till halloween... yeah, Halloween III was fucked up funny, but Iv was pretty goos thoug. I'll never forget the line "They shot Ted Hollister's boy". Yep, IV wasn't bad.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 12:12 AM
Your professor was flipped out of his MIND, man, his MIND. His brain was in the stratosphere. He was wrong on that one. That's okay, teachers are human, I'm sure it was an honest mistake on his part. But yeah, I love the first 3 Halloween films, I'm not too crazy about the other ones. But the first ones are sweet.

bloodletter
10-13-2006, 12:16 AM
yep, they sucked.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 12:30 AM
I enjoyed H20 a little bit...I didn't think it was good, but I had fun watching it because it had the guy in the mask doing the thing with the knife and all, so that was fine. Haven't seen Resurrection, I want to see that. I think I'll probably enjoy it.

bwind22
10-13-2006, 12:47 AM
H20 > Resurrection

I HATED the end of Resurrection! HATED it! That's why they better make a sequel because there is no way that should be the way the coolest slasher in cinema history should go out.

bloodletter
10-13-2006, 12:51 AM
yep, he was flippen crazy... made us watch some fucked up war/gay/torture movie called "manchu Squadren 451" I think that's the name. I'm still scarred by it and that was 10 years ago.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Okay, that must be a terrible ending to the Halloween series. I may have to see it anyway...just to see what happened...but I am anticipating a thing of lameness now...

Although I was happy to learn that Rosenthal was doing it. I thought he did a very good job with Part II.

bwind22
10-13-2006, 01:32 AM
The end sucks.

The Flayed One
10-13-2006, 03:25 AM
Have you checked out the HDC Top 100? It's a good starting point for the general sentiment around here.

As far as great atmospheric movies go, I always recommend Exorcist III (aka Legion) Tons of great dialogue & psychological horror, with a few in your face scenes thrown in at the perfect places.

Haunted
10-13-2006, 05:50 AM
There's no way in hell that a slasher film is going to be "the best horror film ever made." It lacks something...

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 06:04 AM
There's no way in hell that a slasher film is going to be "the best horror film ever made." It lacks something...

Here Here!

while entertaining, there are many MANY movies that make better horror. However, as far as slashers go, Halloweens 1 and 2 are the only ones i really care for. Scream was fun for a while, but the novelty is gone for me. personally, i think that "the best" is compeltely subjective, there is no real objective "Scaryness" that can be measured. For me, The Exorcist and the Ring probably scared me more than anything, with Children of the Corn and Blair Witch Project coming in after as far as creepy shit that you shouldnt watch before a 3 hour trip home in the dark (whihc i did for both.. through central vermont, at night, in the mountains...)

My favorites are Alien and Aliens. Perfect blends of sci fi and horror. Seperate but equal, on a masterpiece of personal suspence, the other the only truly great sci-fi horror action movie ever made.

bloodletter
10-13-2006, 07:07 AM
I think I should have put "Best Slasher Movie" in my post 'cause Halloween nails that... just for the creepiness. Evil Dead II's probably the best cult/comedy/horror of the bunch... I actually almost got to see it on Broadway a few weeks ago... That has to be rad, like a gwar show. But what I'm getting at is I totally agree with Vodstock. I mean Jaws terrified me as a kid... I've surfed for years and I'm still freaked out by sharks in the water.

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 07:39 AM
I think I should have put "Best Slasher Movie" in my post 'cause Halloween nails that... just for the creepiness. Evil Dead II's probably the best cult/comedy/horror of the bunch... I actually almost got to see it on Broadway a few weeks ago... That has to be rad, like a gwar show. But what I'm getting at is I totally agree with Vodstock. I mean Jaws terrified me as a kid... I've surfed for years and I'm still freaked out by sharks in the water.

The really good horrors always use Atmosphere, and tap into the really deep visceral fears. Hellraiser is scary on some levels, but day to day, humans havent really been too afraid of being ripped apart by cenobites. hell, by the time we came around, there werent even trilobites.

But getting eaten alive? especially by a shark? Thats a biggie. that is part of our wiring.

crabapple
10-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Are you kidding? JAWS?? That movie still scares the hell out of me. I even had a nightmare about it last year.

That fuckin' scene with Dreyfuss diving under the boat to find out how it sank..........oh my God. Oh, it gives me a horribly chilly feeling just thinking about it.

urgeok
10-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Are you kidding? JAWS?? That movie still scares the hell out of me. I even had a nightmare about it last year.

That fuckin' scene with Dreyfuss diving under the boat to find out how it sank..........oh my God. Oh, it gives me a horribly chilly feeling just thinking about it.

when the head pops out ?

scared the shit out of me too ..it was the 1st time in my life i ever saw something that graphic...

tic
10-13-2006, 10:07 AM
still rate Jaws as my fave film of all time, regardless if it's a horror film or not. I can still remember seeing it at the cinema, still the only film which i think was genuinely scarey (i was 7 at the time)

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I completely think that Jaws is horror. It has almost all of the formula qualities of a slasher, only it's a shark rather than a nutjob.

urgeok
10-13-2006, 10:48 AM
well, its a nutjob shark.

poseidon told him to kill, KILL, KILL !!!

crabapple
10-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Yeah, the head popping out was a really dirty trick, and putting a scream on the soundtrack was a dirty trick...

But it wasn't just that...it's the whole scene. The fact that he's jumping in the water, into the shark's environment, unprotected. And it's at night, which is even creepier.

I've seen this movie many times. I know what happens. I know the shark doesn't appear in the scene. But I get shivery just thinking about it.