PDA

View Full Version : paraskevidekatriaphobia

Roderick Usher
10-12-2006, 12:08 PM
paraskevidekatriaphobia - fear of Friday the 13th

On Friday, October 13th 1307 France's King Phillip IV ordered the capture, torture and execution of the heretical Knights Templar...and inadvertantly started the most widely held superstitious belief in the western world - fear of Friday the 13th.

Are you superstitious? Planning on doing anything to fight of the hex?

I'll be watching the movie, of course, but miht not be the best day for driving.:eek:

urgeok
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Are you superstritious? Planning on doing anything to fight of the hex?

nope, not in any sense (or spelling :p ) of the word.

good info though and it does make me want to watch the flicks

The_Return
10-12-2006, 12:19 PM
Bought the boxset today, planning to watch as many as possible tomorrow evening.

As for superstions...nah. Not for me.

urgeok
10-12-2006, 12:21 PM
i thought you were a student ? you win a lottery ? been buying a lot of DVD bling these days ..

crabapple
10-12-2006, 12:59 PM
It's been a tradition of mine to watch some Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th--I believe the best way to fight the mojo is to embrace the mojo. Just a little bit, like saying a prayer. Watching Kevin Bacon's bit is enough. Puts me in a good mood.

urgeok
10-12-2006, 01:42 PM
It's been a tradition of mine to watch some Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th--I believe the best way to fight the mojo is to embrace the mojo. Just a little bit, like saying a prayer. Watching Kevin Bacon's bit is enough. Puts me in a good mood.

kevins bacon bit heh heh heh

Despare
10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
Going to a Halloween party, gonna' be the Hari Krishna zombie.

The_Return
10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
i thought you were a student ? you win a lottery ? been buying a lot of DVD bling these days ..

When you still live at home and have no bills whatsoever, minimum wage goes a LONG way. Especially considering how many hours Ive been getting.

Haunted
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Tomorrow night's the 13th? Oh... I didn't realize that. I usually don't until the 14th, and then I'm like, "Shit, I could've... had a brief moment of saying 'Wow! It's Friday the 13th!'"

I don't even celebrate the designated holidays of the tradition that I follow, and you think a radom thirteen attached to a Friday is going to excite me?:D

Must be all the pot I smoked at uni.

Actually, the thing is... Numbers... 13- Coven's gotta have 13 Witches for some reason. 9 is the number of the Goddess. Then there's the trinity concept. 10, in numerology, is the number of perfection, or some such, because it's the first and last number or some bullshit like that. Here's the deal. Numbers equal math, and I suck at math so much that I'm traumatized by it's existance, which is bad, because math is extremely important. So... You see my problem.

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 05:04 AM
Listening to O&A this morning, they had the DUMBEST woman doing a news piece on Friday the 13th (the day)... she had a little pop-culture reference she was apparently wearing... A Ski Mask... For Friday the 13th... She called it a "Freddy SKi Mask"...

People... If you dont want to appear to be an uptight, out of touch "square" as the kids say, make sure you dont fuck up very simple references that started 30 years ago and continue to this day.... IF this lady had been a guy, i would garun-godamn-tee you that he(she) would have been beaten up daily in school...

For the record.. "Jason Hockey Mask." As was noted on the O&A show... Jason wears a hockey mask, freddy doesnt wear a mask, it;s his face (and wrong movie, dumbass)

For the record, the news person wasnt some old fogey who may have been beyond the target audience of the ft13 movies back in the day, she sounded younger than me, and im 30.

tic
10-13-2006, 05:09 AM
There's a Friday the 13th next year in July. Both parents are going away on holiday then; they're flying.

* must make sure their life insurance is upto date *

Spallalala
10-13-2006, 05:10 AM
paraskevidekatriaphobia - fear of Friday the 13th

On Friday, October 13th 1307 France's King Phillip IV ordered the capture, torture and execution of the heretical Knights Templar...and inadvertantly started the most widely held superstitious belief in the western world - fear of Friday the 13th.

Are you superstitious? Planning on doing anything to fight of the hex?

I'll be watching the movie, of course, but miht not be the best day for driving.:eek:

well its friday the 13th here for another hr...Got some movies but phalanx fell asleep the bastard.
Im superstitious. Mum kinda dragged me into it when I was younger and followed it through till now. The black cat thing tho. I think its bullshit. I gotta black cat and he hasn't brought bad luck.

I wont walk under ladders....uh what else is there..can't think really.

Here in Oz tho we dont do things like halloween or Friday the 13th. Horror is very very small here and that sucks ass.

SKOOFx
10-13-2006, 06:44 AM
That word translated from greek is literally.

"Fridaythe13thFear"
word for word. Spelling for spelling.

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 08:09 AM
I would love to make more a celebration out of it, but no one in my life seems to liek to make a big deal out of any day. I love holidays and birthdays. Hell, when it is showing new episodes, my wife and i have "House night" on tuesdays where we allow ourselves to eat like shit and drink up a storm.

I figure since these things only come around a couple of times a year, and especially since this on eis in october, i WANT people to make big deal about it, because it is fun. not because i think it has any real influence on anything.

Alhtough when i was kid, i remember friday the 13ths always lead to kids named Jason to get ostracized...kids are weird.

Haunted
10-13-2006, 08:13 AM
That's really... I guess, beautiful, Vod. Wanting to celebrate these things, whereas there are those of us who find celebration a chore.

You've got your Lilly, get her excited about the neat little piquancies of life. Begin a generation of it.:)

Roderick Usher
10-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm with you, Vod

Just give me cause for celebratrion and I'm there.

Today I have one rule...I don't drive. I'll be bicycling for a few groceries and walking anywhere else I need to be. But I'm gonna stay close top home and revel in the idea that "dark forces are at work" on this day.

Vodstok
10-13-2006, 09:04 AM
I'm with you, Vod

Just give me cause for celebratrion and I'm there.

Today I have one rule...I don't drive. I'll be bicycling for a few groceries and walking anywhere else I need to be. But I'm gonna stay close top home and revel in the idea that "dark forces are at work" on this day.

I wish i could do that. however with my commute its not realistic ;)

90 minutes averaging 70 MPH the whole way... if i could maintain 30 mph for the whole trip, i could make it in just over 3 hours :)

and die of a stroke promptly upon arriving :)

Bree is taking Lily to a farm we lived just down the street from but never thought to go to. I can t believe we'd missed it for so long too, seems heavily geeared towards kids, and if there is one good thing about New England, it's the enthusiams about fall (Autumn is Lily's middle name, literally ;))

Hopefully AMC is doing some good movies tonight. i always like fear friday marathons. if all else fails, it may be time to break out the ol dog soldiers and ring dvds

novadawn969
10-13-2006, 10:05 AM
There's a Friday the 13th next year in July. Both parents are going away on holiday then; they're flying.

* must make sure their life insurance is upto date *

April '07, July '07, June '08, Feburary '09, March '09 :D thats as far as I can remember... :p

novadawn969
10-13-2006, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=Spallalala;489046] The black cat thing tho. I think its bullshit. I gotta black cat and he hasn't brought bad luck.[QUOTE]

The original "black cat" was actually a brindled (sp?) cat...