PDA

View Full Version : Settle an argument for me !

hellfire1
10-04-2006, 01:31 PM
i know i've been out of the us for a while, but since when are there majors in high school ?

my friend insists that in high school, all high schools, you have to choose a major. is this true ? because i'm finding it quite strange.

VampiricClown
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
Wish I could help, but I was homeschooled.

Marroe
10-04-2006, 01:33 PM
I haven't been in school since 1998 and I had a major then. It was photography...and my school had majors long before I got there. Depends on the school I guess.

hellfire1
10-04-2006, 01:49 PM
homeschooled ? interesting. how does that even go i've wondered. hehe

anyone else can help me here ?

VampiricClown
10-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by hellfire1

anyone else can help me here ?

Homeschool is boring and lonely.

Marroe
10-04-2006, 01:50 PM

anyone else can help me here ? Umm....I did:o

hellfire1
10-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
Umm....I did:o

hehe... hence the "else". but i do humbly thank you. :D

and vamp : yeah i would imagine as much.

Roderick Usher
10-04-2006, 02:04 PM
There are no "majors" in the U.S. public high school system - now private and prep schools may be different.

hellfire1
10-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by omcdave
settle what? your still hot!

hahaha... so not the topic ! :p

@ usher : yeah, that's what i thought as well, but i'm being told otherwise.

VampiricClown
10-04-2006, 02:14 PM
will someone please start a thread about boobs i want to but do not want people here to think im a perv:D oh and never heard of that before i think your friend is nuts.

I would, but yeah, you know.

alkytrio666
I'm in highschool now, and there are no majors. It's quite the opposite, because it is required that you take certain classes each year. They choose for you.

There are absolutely no majors in highschool.

hellfire1
will someone please start a thread about boobs i want to but do not want people here to think im a perv:D oh and never heard of that before i think your friend is nuts.

you and bodacious tatas would have gotten along beautifully. wonder if he still lurks around...

Marroe
10-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by alkytrio666
I'm in highschool now, and there are no majors. It's quite the opposite, because it is required that you take certain classes each year. They choose for you.

There are absolutely no majors in highschool. The school I went to was a U.S. public high school and a major was required, as well as all of our other required classes. Depends on the school. They're not required/offered at all public schools.

alkytrio666
10-04-2006, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Marroe
The school I went to was a U.S. public high school and a major was required, as well as all of our other required classes. Depends on the school. They're not required/offered at all public schools.

But, I mean...you graduated highschool with a major in photography?? That seems crazy to me. Maybe some highschools offer a series of classes directed towards a subject you're interested in doin, but majoring?

If so, I retract me previous post and apologize to you. And it isn't that I don't believe you. And maybe things have changed or something.

1beastieibe
10-04-2006, 03:25 PM
There are no majors in the Seattle or Tacoma School districts, we do however have Running Start which means your senior year you can start a college program, and the college provides all the classes you need to Graduate High School.

urgeok
10-04-2006, 06:35 PM
i know i've been out of the us for a while, but since when are there majors in high school ?

my friend insists that in high school, all high schools, you have to choose a major. is this true ? because i'm finding it quite strange.

no such thing as a major in my highschool ..

but this is canada so my opinion doesnt count.

hellfire1
10-04-2006, 10:40 PM
thank you guys... you've been of much help... yes even you, the canadian. :p

bwind22
10-04-2006, 11:09 PM
I went to private and public high schools in Minnesota and no one had anything having to do with majors there. I have a younger bro that is still in public high school here in MN and he has no major either. Like someone mentioned, most schools will give seniors the option to start taking college credits early if they want to, but it's never been a requirement. No one gets a degree when they graduate high school so I think what Marroe is talking about (and her high school may very well have even refered to it as a major) is more of a focused curriculum. As in, they are allowed to pick a topic of interest (like photography) and then take some courses in it. I highly doubt she graduated with a degree in it though, which is essentially what majoring in something really is.