PDA

View Full Version : best vampire books

HappyCamper
12-20-2003, 06:20 AM
just wondering what everybody thinks are the best 'vampire' books out there, whether they be novels,true crime, or informational...

i have that huge ass book...on vampires..can't remember the guys name...but it has a candlabra on the cover, with one candle dripping blood...it's an awesome vampire book...

avenger00soul
12-20-2003, 06:26 AM
My favorite vamp books are They Thirst by McCammon and Salem's Lot by King. Actually, They Thirst is one of my favorite books period.

dmihatmttl
12-20-2003, 08:59 AM
I'll definitely agree with THEY THIRST and SALEM'S LOT.

A few more suggestions: BLOOD KIN by Ronald Kelly, LIVE GIRLS and LOT LIZARDS by Ray Garton, and MIDNIGHT MASS by F. Paul Wilson (it's not out yet, but I've read the original novella upon which the upcoming novel is based, and it was a lot of fun).

My favorites of all time, though: THE CHILDREN'S HOUR by Douglass Clegg and THE SUMMONING by Bentley Little. Goddamn, but those are two scary-ass novels . . . trust me, you *must* read these if you're looking for vampire fiction that does much more with this sub-genre than what's been done a thousand times already . . . .

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

avenger00soul
12-20-2003, 09:43 AM
dmihatmttl is the horror book guru on here. If he says it's good, it's worth checking out.

dmihatmttl
12-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Awww . . . thanks, buddy. ;)

J.N.
http://members.tripod.com/~NEWMANATOR/index.html

FangoFan
12-20-2003, 09:03 PM
My favorite vampire book is a classic, Stephen King's Salem's Lot.
I also like the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley.

FangoFan
12-20-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by avenger00soul
dmihatmttl is the horror book guru on here. If he says it's good, it's worth checking out.

I'm not in competition but I read alot of horror as well.

I'm always working on a book, and all I read is horror (well some non fiction).

I watch alot of horror movies, but I definitly know more about books.

Dr.Kelvinstein
12-21-2003, 12:17 AM
I like Vampire Junction a whole lot. Les Daniels Don Sebastion series is a nice little homage to Hammer. Anno Dracula is good, but my all-time fave has got to be Skipp and Spector's Light ar the End!!!!!!!

MuzikQueen79
12-21-2003, 07:08 PM
Right now my favorite vampire book would be Lost Souls by: Poppy Z. Brite. And always Anne Rice's Interview with the vampire.

There are so many books i want right now but i have no money to get, otherwise there would be alot more books on here that i would write down as my favorites.

Aylmer
12-22-2003, 06:04 AM
Anyone read the "Book of Nod" great poetry and art work!

livin_dead_88
12-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I have that same huge ass book with the dripping candle blood thingy on it, I havent read it yet, I just bought it yesterday, But it looks great. I dont know the author either ( the books at my moms I'm at my Dads)
Another good vampire book is the Anita Blake serise, by Laurell K Hamilton they are great

kali
01-20-2004, 05:01 PM
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is definitely one of the best vampire novels available, and one of my all time favourite books. For some reason most people haven't heard of it despite it being so hugely influential. I only heard about it because George Romero supposedly based 'Night of the Living Dead' on it which prompted me to read it. If you haven't read it, please do. And pray with me that 'they' don't make the film with Schwarzengegger as has been rumoured.

Haunted
01-26-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by livin_dead_88
Another good vampire book is the Anita Blake serise, by Laurell K Hamilton they are great

Those books are a lot of fun.

Most vampire novels irk me. I tried writing one in high school. I got so irritated with the notion of the vampire, I couldn't finish it. I've got 150 pages floating around my house some where.

I've harped on this: John Polidori's The Vampyre. Okay, it sucks, but it's the grandfather of the modern vampire...well...the pretty one's anyway.

Avenger, you're painting a delicious picture of "They Thirst." I think that after I finish "Wolves" I'm going to have to make a trip to the bookstore.

myster6
02-21-2004, 11:03 AM
My personal favorite would be the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley. They're often compared to Anne Rice's novels but that's retarded because they are totally different in every way. Rice's writing style has more of a gothic tone and Lumley has more of a fantasy tone. Lumley's novels are probably more creative and brutal. Rice hits closer to home.

Robert Neville
02-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by kali
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson is definitely one of the best vampire novels available, and one of my all time favourite books. For some reason most people haven't heard of it despite it being so hugely influential.

This is the most notable vampire book that I own. And I own quite a few vampire books. "I Am Legend" is THE book about the end of the world. Richard Matheson is a wonderful writer and though the book is very short, he fills it with dread that you just cannot believe. You are sucked into the lonliness that Robert Neville (Hope you guessed my name) feels everyday as the last man on earth. A great commentary on the 50's too. Matheson hits the stake with the hammer on this one. Get a copy today.

snlash
04-06-2004, 01:41 PM
Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite is my all time favorite vampire book, although I also enjoyed her other two anthologies, Love in Vein, and Love in Vein 2.

I also enjoy all of Anne Rice's novels, and Maggie Shayne's as well :)

death_to_all
04-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Anyone read The Book of the Damned.
It is really cool and I recommend it to anyone that likes vampires.
It rocks and really gets under you skin.
Hellraiser is the best!
________
extreme vaporizer review (http://vaporizers.net/extreme-vaporizer)

MichaelMyers
04-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Salem's Lot.

Unaboner3000
04-20-2004, 05:30 PM
I'll go along with the recommendations of Salem's Lot. It was a fine book. I'll also give props to the classic though, Stoker's Dracula. The Anne Rice books a nice too.

Dr. Caligari
04-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Aylmer
Anyone read the "Book of Nod" great poetry and art work!
I've heard of it, is it anygood?
I was thinking about buying it.

death_to_all
05-02-2004, 04:50 PM
I think that its good but it depends on what you're looking for in a book. Some people look for something completely different and then think that its what they're looking for and then they fid out they made a mistake and don't feel happy about it. So be sure when you make these kinds of decisions.
________
Honda CB1300 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB1300)

bullwinkle_rox
05-18-2004, 03:03 AM
WAIT!!!A!!!SECOND!!!! Why hasnt anyone even mentioned the Darren Shan boooks? They are the best!!! and so's the orignial Dracula

wufongtan
05-18-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Kelvinstein
I like Vampire Junction a whole lot. Les Daniels Don Sebastion series is a nice little homage to Hammer. Anno Dracula is good, but my all-time fave has got to be Skipp and Spector's Light ar the End!!!!!!!
Saloms lot is my second fravorite vamp book,
and if Anno dracula is the one where dracula was succesful in taking over london, and vampires and humans are side by side, in london then that is my fav, i was tryingto think of the name while iwas reading the post. then i saw your post , so i think thats it, the second book in the seris is also excellent, it follows on from the same story line but its set in ww1, were dracuala is running germany. great books, they should make this into a movie. but they wont, cause all hollywood producers are wankers

Vampenguin
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
WAIT!!!A!!!SECOND!!!! Why hasnt anyone even mentioned the Darren Shan boooks? They are the best!!! and so's the orignial Dracula

Dam Right! those books are the best ever! i like how the vampires are different than usuall, and i love the Vampanze!

kpropain
05-19-2004, 04:34 PM
Salems Lot

death_to_all
05-19-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah I agree they are cool I've only read one of them though and it rocks, I haven't been able to find the other ones anywhere.

bloodygurl02
05-22-2004, 08:03 PM
this ones a fav of mine by R.L Stine. it was part of the fear street books called Goodnight Kiss

i like lots of vamp books

death_to_all
05-23-2004, 03:29 PM
That is supposed to be very good book or so I've heard. I haven't had the chance to read it yet.

bloodygurl02
05-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by death_to_all
That is supposed to be very good book or so I've heard. I haven't had the chance to read it yet.
its very good and theres a 2nd part to it kalled the good night kiss 2 that takes palce a year later. both r good so whne u get a chance check em out :D

death_to_all
05-27-2004, 05:55 PM
i think i might read that one

Miss Britt
06-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Chronicles

death_to_all
06-20-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah I like those two they're really creative the way that they are written. I've been meaning to read them again. Especially the chronicles.

Miss Britt
06-23-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by death_to_all
Yeah I like those two they're really creative the way that they are written. I've been meaning to read them again. Especially the chronicles.
How about the Vampire Lestat?

theshadow
06-23-2004, 07:11 PM
i'm gonna have to read Lost Souls. so many have recommended it. I loved Salem's Lot, The skin Game, and the Vampire Tapes

Egekrusher
07-07-2004, 08:45 AM
I love the entire Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice. My favorite of those would be Memnoch The Devil. Those of you who have read it know why.

Alyxandor
02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Oh I know..... Twilight!

omg sorry I had to.. lmao I couldn't resist.. but seriously lets talk about real books hehe I feel dirty even mentioning that trash omg I am so sorry.....

But seriously, the Sookie Stackhouse novels are absolutely worth reading. The show adapted from it True Blood, is absolute genius. The show is from what I can tell is exactly like the books so you could just watch the show and enjoy some great t.v. Also look up online the fake commercials and videos for True Blood, they are a riot. I especially like the one that is supposed to be like a budweiser commercial. FYI for those clueless to the Sookie novels, True Blood is the synthetic blood beverage that vampires drink.

Also I know this isn't a novel or anything but I have to of course mention anything from the Buffyverse. Buffy/Angel is a work of genius and the comics, show, and novels are great. Joss Whedon is actually continuing Buffy in graphic novel form.

Eternus Vistigium
03-07-2009, 09:07 AM
There are lots of great Vampire books.

Obviously the most incredible and most famous book about vampires is Dracula, read the book a hell of a lot and never stop loving it. I love the story and everything about it, the characters especially

Then there is Salems' Lot by Stephen King. King is my favourite author and his second books was one of his best.

Also, recently read a childrens series of books about the Mayan God, Camazotz, there were six books and the series was called Vampire Plagues. Well worth a read, if you have time or don't have much time because they are about 150 pages each.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel books kick ass too, but I am also a massive Buffy fan, so some people may not like them.:) :) :) :cool:

Doc Faustus
03-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Dracula, I am Legend, Salemīs Lot, Some ol Your Blood, Anno Dracula

scouse mac
03-07-2009, 01:37 PM
Kim Newman does a fair range of vampire books and short stories.

I remember one book well, which was set in Victorian London and twisted the Jack the Ripper legend into a vampire slayer. Cant think of the title off hand.

Obviously there are the likes of the Anne Rice books and Brian Lumley stuff.

Doc Faustus
03-07-2009, 01:43 PM
The book you're thinking of is Anno Dracula. One of my favorites.

scouse mac
03-07-2009, 02:04 PM
The book you're thinking of is Anno Dracula. One of my favorites.

:o :o :o

I just re-read the thread and noticed you mentioned Anno Dracula in your list of books! For some reason I didnt get past Salems Lot :confused:

Ive got that one hidden away somewhere, really enjoy books like that which twist actual events.

Doc Faustus
03-07-2009, 05:52 PM
It's a great alternate history. It's not a genre I used to think was clever, but between that and League of Extraordinary Gentleman, I now think about alt historical circumstances all the time.

scouse mac
03-08-2009, 06:09 AM
It's a great alternate history. It's not a genre I used to think was clever, but between that and League of Extraordinary Gentleman, I now think about alt historical circumstances all the time.

In a similar vein theres a book called Jack Faust by Michael Swanwick.

Id be surprised if you havent read it Doc, but for those who havent it incorporates the Faust character into the real world of the 16th/17th Century. It shows how he alters the industrial revolution, and the speed at which historical events occur, with his ill-gotten knowledge.

There are several good twists and well worth a read.

(its not a vamp book btw, sorry its off thread vamp fans!)

Doc Faustus
03-09-2009, 08:13 AM
In a similar vein theres a book called Jack Faust by Michael Swanwick.

Id be surprised if you havent read it Doc, but for those who havent it incorporates the Faust character into the real world of the 16th/17th Century. It shows how he alters the industrial revolution, and the speed at which historical events occur, with his ill-gotten knowledge.

There are several good twists and well worth a read.

(its not a vamp book btw, sorry its off thread vamp fans!)

Wow, I've gotta read that one.

Zero
03-10-2009, 03:30 PM
i think there is a whole series issuing from Anno Dracula.

i remember liking AD but was a bit disappointed (i guess it wasn't as good in execution as I had hoped when i read the description)

scouse mac
03-11-2009, 09:15 AM
i think there is a whole series issuing from Anno Dracula.

i remember liking AD but was a bit disappointed (i guess it wasn't as good in execution as I had hoped when i read the description)

Its been a long time since I read Anno Dracula. I really liked it but remember being a little disappointed by how it ended but cant think why now.

bobbyshane
08-13-2011, 08:05 PM
The first book in my vampire series is coming out soon. It's more horror/science fiction. It's called Shining in Crimson (http://www.facebook.com/shiningincrimson).

Scott Nicholson, the author of They Hunger called it "A big-scale vampire thriller that changes the rules."

There's an embedded 3-chapter pdf sample and 3 episodes of a serialized audiobook for the novel on my blog (http://shiningincrimson.blogspot.com). Episode 4 will be up soon.

I also have a giveaway on Goodreads.com (http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/10540-shining-in-crimson) right now for a paperback copy of the book. I'm currently on page 4 of the most requested and if I can get enough people to enter to put it on the first page not only will that help get it some good exposure but it would also be nice to see a vampire novel that isn't romance get some recognition.

I think fans of more science fiction based vampires will like it. Fans of stuff like I am Legend by Matheson, Blindsight by Peter Watts, and so on.

thistles
11-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Awesome recommendations everyone! My current fave is one I found called Mark of the Sorcerer by Mason Garcia. I read it for free here www.inkitt.com/r/40219 Keep the suggestions coming!

Morningriser
11-18-2015, 10:59 AM
I am an Anne Rice fan. My favorite vampire book of hers is Memnoch The Devil. It is a very interesting story.