PDA

View Full Version : Texas School District Bans Cleavage

azathoth777
08-04-2006, 08:07 PM
ARLINGTON, Texas-With a new school year about to begin, some female students in one Texas school district may have to rethink their wardrobes.

Teen fashions often leave parents a little disgruntled. Arlington Independent School District parent Frances Henson said, “I'm thinking that our daughters are growing up a little bit too fast these days.”

Arlington School Board members agree with parents and this summer, they adopted an unusual amendment to the student dress code.

The new dress code reads, in part, “The display of cleavage is unacceptable. Low cut blouses, tops, sweaters, etc. with plunging necklines are not allowed."

“It's gotten bad enough that, unfortunately, our young males are looking at more than their English book, their speech book, their science book,” says school board president Sherri Wade. “And it's kind of nice to have something left to the imagination.”

Even some teenagers agree there is a problem. “I think it's good that they're doing it,” said student, Tyler Edwards.

Others students say it makes back-to-school shopping more difficult. “I just have to be more careful with what shirts I buy. Change my style a little,” said student, Maria Lopez.

While most parents support the new rule, some worry that enforcing it could be a challenge. “I think that's going to be a little tricky, because it puts a little bit of a policeman approach to the educators, and they really need to focus more on teaching,” said Tom Pederson, AISD parent.

The school board president says they'll do both… and in time, she says, the no cleavage rule will be no problem.
-------------------------------
Jesus, doesn't anyone like breasts any more?

Vodstok
08-07-2006, 05:35 AM
As a man with a daughter, I liek these kinds of things. And basically, I am a HUGE hypocrite as a result. i am paranoid because given how "big" my family is (the men are tall, the women tend to be large C and above) and the fact that my wife is DD, her mother is DDD, and that is pretty much the format for her family, i will probably be killing 14 year olds for oggling my daughter in about 13 years.

At the same time, the cleavage girls were my favorite in high school, mostly because we didnt have the internet yet.

Low self esteem plus new big bososm and low cut shirt equaled happy me.

AUSTIN316426808
08-07-2006, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Vodstok
As a man with a daughter, I liek these kinds of things.

As a man with a job at a high school, I don't like these kinds of things. :p

azathoth777
08-07-2006, 07:13 AM
the cleavage girls were my favorite in high school, mostly because we didnt have the internet yet.

Low self esteem plus new big bososm and low cut shirt equaled happy me.

I couldn't agree more. But, I can see it might be a distracting, especialy to the raging hormones of a teen boy. But cleavage never hurt anyone...

Vodstok
08-07-2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah.. because only teen boys have raging hormones....

maybe thats why my wife calls me a 15 year old....

That makes me the luckiest kid on earth. I have the attitude of a teenager, but i own my own computer, have a woman, As an adult i can make all of my own decisions, and i make over $90,000 a year...

Sweet... :)

Who cares that Im 30?

AUSTIN316426808
08-07-2006, 07:59 AM
I was just as horny as the next guy in high school and I made good grades. If they wanna over protect/shelter their kid that's fine, they're concerned parents, it's perfectly understandable. I just don't like how they claim it's because of distraction in the classroom, that's just BS.

Vodstok
08-07-2006, 09:53 AM
Im only saying it because i am freaked out about kids eye-humping my daughter. I know its inevitable unless she turned into some hideous freak, which no one wants for their kid.

Buts eriously, IF it is distracting someone that much, they need help. Now, if the girl has d+ and shows 6 inches of cleavage, that is a bit much. that would be distracting.
Case in point, if my wife wears a tank top, i forget what color her eyes are.

azathoth777
08-07-2006, 07:14 PM
But isn't this more a job for parents and not the schools. Why must everyone BUT the parent look out for the kids well being...

Vodstok
08-08-2006, 05:00 AM
As a parent... Because it's easier. To be honest, as much as i would like someone looking after my kid 24/7, even when she is a teenager, that just isnt possible or right.

the funny thing is, my wife and I would definately either tell her no, or make her justify showing off cleavage, but if we decide she can show off 8 inches and she wants to, well... hey, if she wore a tight sweater, it would still be "Distracting".

the only way around it is to put all the kids in potato sacks covered in shawls. then school would be one big toga party. Which would then, be an all new problem.

azathoth777
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
This may be getting a little off the track but, it just seems that whenever there is a problem with kids everyone else takes the heat and flak for it. Like video games, TV, movies, music, etc.... it's always someone elses problem.
I just don't like the idea of telling someone what they can and can't wear.

Vodstok
08-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by azathoth777
This may be getting a little off the track but, it just seems that whenever there is a problem with kids everyone else takes the heat and flak for it. Like video games, TV, movies, music, etc.... it's always someone elses problem.
I just don't like the idea of telling someone what they can and can't wear. Me either. They always blame the symptom, not the root cause.

Examples:

Abortion encourages teen pregnancy
Video Games cause violent behavior
Any reference to sex will cause kids to have it
Exposing you kids to homosexuality will make them gay
accepting that homosexuals have a right to exist will make you gay
Poor grades are the result of sexy clothing, rap music and television. it has nothign to do with poor teachers, faculty that could care less about teaching, and said faculty doing NOTHING about kids who are bullied and exiled.

azathoth777
08-09-2006, 07:11 AM
it has nothign to do with poor teachers, faculty that could care less about teaching, and said faculty doing NOTHING about kids who are bullied and exiled.

Maybe they should be payed a wage comparable to what they do. They might care alittle more then..

School sucks...life sucks...lesson learned.

Vodstok
08-09-2006, 07:54 AM
the school system in this country needs a serious overhaul. Too many people become teachers as a result of the "those who cant do teach" menatality. they come in with a shitty attitude. then there are those who cared at one time, but years of disappointment jaded them. THEN there are those who still care but cant do a damn thing because there is not budget.

The bully thing also needs to be changed. Getting your ass kicked and being the brunt of jokes does not need to be part of your initiation into life. I have been out fo school for 12 years, the last 5 of which have been in the corporate world. Although there are striking similarities between big companies and high school, i cant think of a single instance where being humiliated or beaten up in school has helped me out since i have been here.

Teachers should be held to much higher standards than they are, and at the same time should be adequately compensated for their efforts. I think the teachers getting forced to take standardized tests in Mass was brilliant. I mean really, if you cant do your job, you dont deserve it. End of story.

azathoth777
08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I couldn't agree more...
Being picked on/beaten up.....I did learn how to fight and defend myself. That's come in handy...too many time, unfortunately. Being bullyed in school was why I hated school so much. I always got teased , but I did real well in lower grade school(As and Bs). But once I got to Junior High, and the bullying really stepped up, my grade dropped(Cs mostly).